/HEMA/ General

Last bread was killed by jannies.
Discuss everything related to historical European sword, dagger, spear, and wrestling techniques.

Attached: 8a9.jpg (657x527, 54.12K)

I was just looking for it. Anyways, I used to box and wrestle, I haven;t looked into HEMA for a while, but a couple years ago, it looked like everyone's footwork was dogshit, has this been generally fixed yet, or are the coaches still mostly nerds with no prior combat sport experience? I genuinely would like to get into it, but I'm skeptical of its current state - seems a little too karate-in-the-90s atm

Attached: a shy knight.png (195x189, 93.9K)

Fucking retard

This is not fucking fitness related retard, there’s literally a weapons board if you wanna talk about that shit.

>BJJ is fitness
>tard MMA is fitness
>HEMA is not fitness
How?

I know what you mean.
At least where I leave, nerds with no previous experience are being largely replaced.
They were the ones to found the dojos, but they are all too happy to give up training to fit young ones, and sit on their asses.

What is the scoring/combat aspect of hema and how does it rank against say fencing or Mensur or is it more reenactment?

Attached: judo_fatty.png (1042x710, 79.4K)

Literally hundreds of different rule sets, so scoring can vary heavily.

If it's closer to sport fencing or reenactment depends on the focus of the club/people.
Some see it more as a martial art, others as a combat sport and most I think as something in between.

Oh and since HEMA has lots of very different weapons like longsword, rapier(&dagger), saber, sidesword(&buckler) the tournaments can vary even harder.

that depends heavily on the club, you can find anything between McDojos and sport fencing with heavier weapons

Reenactment hasn't much to do with HEMA itself, apart from some people doing both, since the two complement each other nicely.
That is, if you ignore the fact that HEMA is basically just (re)enacting old manuals.

>Somehow a full contact martial art is not Yas Forums

>sidesword = best sword
>rapier = best dueling weapon
change my mind

you ever notice that people attack novel threads more than they attack bad threads?
for instance there's multiple mewing threads on Yas Forums right now but they won't bother those people because they're habituated to seeing crap mewing threads.

Attached: 1582859461436.png (132x135, 35.94K)

hehe fuck and suck

The staff is superior to everything

Explain that to a halberd my dude.

Based, i actually practite HEMA, sadly it's full to the brim of basedboys and SJW's.

This is now a real HEMA thread instead of a medieval LARP circlejerk

Attached: hema-tjeerd-jegen-topman-thailand-400x300.jpg (400x300, 27.47K)

>medieval
normie fucking shits, longsword has literally become tranny tier
thank fucking god for polearms and dagger

Because they are simpletons and the status quo does not threaten them as much as having to think about something new.
Half the threads on Yas Forums at any time should be deleted.
HEMA and martial arts in general definitely.belong here.
I would go so far as to say any sport that anons are discussing about practicing or playing deserve to be here. Even non-physical ones like cards and chess because they keep you mentally Yas Forums and are good for social gains.

>tfw can't practie Fiore disarms because of lockdown

Attached: DxePkytVAAAb61H.jpg (326x326, 18.22K)

which country?
english-speaking countries seem to have a big problem with retarded leftists

I don't know about longswords and polearms and daggers, but have you tried the HEMA worst?

Attached: echt-hema-rookworst-ook-mager-of-pittig-250-gram-2-25-42145678.png (500x773, 54.93K)

HEMA can encompass non-medieval timeframes, brainlet.

I am in Italy. The problem is WAY less acute here for the most part but it is going to trickle down to us from the British scene. Already, most of the community organizers of big events are heavily politically charged. I mean, they organize stuff such as "Big Gay Sword Day". Fucking yikes

What's a good way to get started with HEMA without a club?

Exactly right

Attached: HEMA.png (1417x1063, 2.34M)

Based Fiore is a complete madman
>You attack me? I'll just turn you into a cripple so that can't happen again :^)

Read the manuals, try to implement what's in the manuals. I would start with Fiore dei Liberi, there are thons of books on him and it's very introductory. I would suggest the Guy Windsor's books for english speaking beginners

We're developing the same problems here, there's been one case of "misogyny" (muh separate men/women tournaments is literal sexism)
Luckily no fag or tranny stuff yet, but I'm sure that will come eventually...

HEMA has the best selection of all department stores - for very reasonable prices!

Attached: hema_dubai.jpg (1024x576, 108.53K)

Last time i checked one if not the best "female" HEMA atlhete is a MtF. I am so sorry for al those very good and skilled female practitioners that have to be stomped by a man in tournaments

which weapon/system/country you're interested in?
watching yt videos and reading manuals is your only choice. if you've got a friend interested you can start trying those things with him

>Based, i actually practite HEMA, sadly it's full to the brim of basedboys and SJW's.

Would you say that it's sound advice that anyone that wants to do HEMA should also do fencing?
The way I figure it, even if fencing is only tangentially related to actual sword fighting, your instructors and sparring partners are almost certainly going to be way better quality than anyone you'll meet at HEMA.
So, possibly between the two, you might git gud?
I remember user once claiming he was part of a fencing club that went and sparred with some kendo guys and basically the fencing guys rekt all of them easily.