This game doesn’t know what type of Mario game it’s trying to be

This game doesn’t know what type of Mario game it’s trying to be.

Attached: 6FE38814-BC7E-46D2-8557-2C95B0D85F08.jpg (220x292, 28.38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IxCyq4c07hI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's trying to be Super Mario Galaxy and it succeeded.

Attached: 1586216938471.png (500x460, 125.77K)

The game has elements of course clear Mario combined with Sandbox Mario. It doesn’t know what type of Mario it’s trying to be.

youtu.be/IxCyq4c07hI

It has no time limit like a sandbox but it has linear levels like a course clear.

And? They were evidently trying to do something differently with this title.

Attached: b.png (2081x2448, 1.15M)

So? The game doesn’t know what it’s trying to be. It’s a mismatch of elements all strung together.

I think it knows what it's trying to be and you're just being a faggot.

Attached: f53.gif (400x550, 681.78K)

>mismatch of elements
Yet it still succeeded in being one of the best games ever made

You might be retarded. It's a course-clear Mario with a hub world. Just like Super Mario 64.

The game can’t decide.
It has a health bar and no time limit like a sandbox but yet it has linear levels like a course clear. There’s no inertia to it.

So super mario 64 is also a mismatch of elements.

You are a fucking retard. please never post here again

But it has a health bar and no time limit? Like Mario 64? A sandbox game? But then it has linear levels. It’s a mismatch and it’s not a good one.

It's not like time-limit matters in a Mario game. You're only at risk of time out in a 30 second gimmick level where you need to grab clocks to survive.

This isn't sonic. Now please go away.

Attached: Rosalina has Concerns.png (2080x2448, 1.12M)

The amount of seethe because an eceleb is right LMFAO

>No counter arguments.
Based Barry Kramer BTFOing Yas Forums

>Dude what if this game people like was actually bad?
It is okay for things to be good stop shilling that youtube faggot.

>NOOOO IT DOESN'T FIT NEATLY INTO MY ARBITRARILY DEFINED LABELS OF "2D MARIO" AND "3D MARIO" IT'S SHIT!!!!!!

Mario 64 isn’t a course clear, it’s a sandbox. Mario Galaxy has linear levels with a hub world unlike 64.

>an eceleb
And who was that?

Literaly I have no idea. You didn't even include it in the OP

Replaying it recently, Mario seems incapable of turning around without running a circle, although that may be emulation
I think OP is somewhat correct about being a mix of sandbox and course clear
Take bee kingdom for instance, there's a bunch of stuff to find on the main island with secrets and star bits and coins etc, toads and bees to talk to that change what they say depending on bee suit or not, and some aforementioned secrets only being reachable with bee suit
But 3/3 times the actual missions only require you to stay on the main island for a few minutes, and the rest of the course is usually linear and short.

Attached: 1585796930215m.jpg (673x1024, 212.88K)

Way to strawman. Nintendo themselves classified SMG as a course clear, though it has more in common with 64 and Sunshine in terms of mechanics. They themselves and the game itself can’t decide on what game it’s trying to be.

youtu.be/IxCyq4c07hI

Sonic is the series about Inertia, dipshit. You just proved that you have no idea what the games are about if you think Mario is about inertia. The only titles with inertia are the 2D titles and the latest 3. Everything before 3D land wre designed in ways that made you stop more often than not with the 2D titles being the ones with the flow. Now go fuck yourself.

Attached: dc5n6di-42967690-d465-435e-87ed-61b032a7c294.png (298x216, 112.47K)

>OP just watched his favorite e-celeb shit on Galaxy so he felt compelled to parrot his talking points on Yas Forums
And yet Galaxy is the third best 3D Mario behind Galaxy 2 and 64 (not counting 3D World because that's basically a 2D Mario with a z-axis).

Attached: fuck off.png (2081x2448, 1.23M)

I’ve never read a longer version of
>Tastes allow me to overlook the inherent contradictions in this piece of media.

Fair enough. Odyssey showed me that pure sandbox exploration isn't as fun as I thought it'd be.

At the end of the day Mario is a platformer, and should have challenges that reflect that.

The best one?

Attached: 1566952165048.png (939x690, 624.08K)

This.

>a 2D Mario with a z-axis
so... a 3D game?

Where have I been proven wrong?

I've always thought of it as the true sequel to Super Mario 64

Who made a video about it? I want to watch it so I can seethe about how wrong he is.

>But it has a health bar and no time limit? Like Mario 64?
I don't understand how these are indicative of a sandbox game. That should depend on level design. Galaxy has a few twists there to my recollection but it is definitely a course clear game.

A good platformer has inertia. This game doesn’t have that. You’re constantly stopping and starting with going to different planets.

kys barry

This user hit the nail on the head. 2D mario games have flow and the 3D ones are slow and methodical. 3D world is 2D Mario with a Z axis because it has that flow.

>Doesn’t fully commit to one gameplay style
>Still better than every other 3D Mario game

Attached: 617B1596-F201-40D4-B9AF-D4A38C539784.jpg (500x700, 148.38K)

It’s indicative because Nintendo themselves designed the game that way with already having previous games going it like Mario 64. It has both elements of Sandbox and course clear. Linear levels but with the hub word style of 64.

It doesn’t know what game it wants to be. Period.