Why are there no competitive SRPGs?

Why are there no competitive SRPGs?

I mean, there are probably some but nobody ever talks about them. With all this esports bullshit with shooting and fighting games, you'd think something like a chess league but for a grid based game would exist. I know card games have a foothold here but how come straight up SRPGs never got popular?

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 173.92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gastrodon_(Pokémon)
twitch.tv/fftbattleground
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

People are too impatient to wait their turn

because most modern SRPG's suck, even if they tried their best, and none of the "cumpetitiv" crowd wants to play AWBW
new advance wars never ever

Attached: BEST GIRL.jpg (1018x1018, 105.38K)

>Why are there no competitive SRPGs?
You mean chess?

Yes user that was the comparison I was making, I'm glad you caught it.

soo whats your point? there ARE competitive SRPGs. it's called chess. it has a huge competitive scene actually.

dota autochess is the closest you could probably ever get to making something like this fun

I would like a new one that's not a port of a 1500 year old board game, please.

>old bad
>new good

Attached: 1585709255618.jpg (600x600, 57.42K)

>Why are there no competitive SRPGs?
Because an SRPG without a cringe weeb storyline is just a wargame, and we already have tournaments for those.

what's AWBW?

Wargroove

Not necessarily but a little variety is nice.

You mean chess right

Are there tournaments for wargames? I mean digital ones, I know stuff like physical table top warhammer tournaments exist.

I used to play AWBW with some of my friends. We literally got the better part of a year of campaigns going, most of them 8-man slugfests.

autochess sounds both braindead boring simple and needlessly complex at the same time from what I've read about it.

Tactics Ogre on PSX had a two player battle mode IIRC

Field of Glory 2 had its 8th digital tournament last month.

Shogi?

Attached: shogi loli.png (1366x732, 626.21K)

Advance Wars By Web, a fan-made free client for advance wars goodness, featuring all CO's from AW2, custom maps, and 16 different colors each with a different theme and look for it's units
awbw.amarriner.com

How many SRPGs even have multiplayer? I swear with the several thousand JRPGs I've played and the 100+ SRPGs I've played, I can only recall like, three of them having anything resembling PvP, and out of those, all of them had this obscenely gay Character Select PvP instead of personal characters. You could easily form a competitive scene around that concept (Level caps, specific unit caps, generics/heroes rules, banning of specific overpowered units), but you need to first actually identify a game to center it around, and then find a way to play it frequently with other competitive players.

There would have to be character select PvP in a theoretical game like this so you could actually study the meta. If you could bring in custom heroes it would require sitting down before a match and memorizing all the unique abilities of your opponents units, which you've never seen before, before each match, which sucks.

You're so close to realizing SRPGs are a childish mimicry of a real genre

You are describing a tactical level strategy game, not a RPG. Just play fantasy general or something, fuck

it's basically gacha: the game; you get a random assortment of units and need to get some synergies out of that to make sure your team's DPS is high and survivability is higher

> If you could bring in custom heroes it would require sitting down before a match and memorizing all the unique abilities of your opponents units, which you've never seen before, before each match, which sucks.

You do realize that people do this with Pokemon, for several hundred Pokemon, which each have several hundred abilities, right?
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gastrodon_(Pokémon)
This is some random nothing Pokemon, but they have its entire potential stat spread, movelist, all resistances and weaknesses, and hidden and common abilities laid out. Literally every permutation found in this Pokemon can be found, because they care enough to actually sit down and log this information. When you fight an opposing Pokemon, it's a matter of gauging what variables you can potentially encounter and striking with your own. Basic strategies.

Now I'm not saying that this would work for ALL SRPGs (especially Disgaea, where the stat range is just a mess), but even something as clunky as Fire Emblem has limitations and barriers for base and potential stats, unit resistances, potential equipment, etc. All of these things (if we found a genuine multiplayer component) could easily be logged and have the same effect when it comes to a competitive multiplayer scene. If something is overwhelmingly broken, just ban/limit it. If some strategy is only broken in a specific situation which you need to set up for, research matches and limit it if it remains to be a problem. Triangle meta, chaotic meta, all that shit is possible. You just need a game with actual fucking multiplayer first so players can input that data.

Wesnoth is another popular one, I think the tournaments stopped a long time ago though.

that sounds horrible

No audience to watch.

No sponsors... No "pro's"...

Why would you do this though

sounds like an animated card game

There's always an audience if you're willing to actually make something.
twitch.tv/fftbattleground

Personally what I'm looking for is small sets of "hero" units against each other, not bands of generic knights versus generic spearmen or whatever. Like imagine two different sets of DnD characters fighting each other. I don't know what you'd call that though.

Because it's a fun, competitive concept? If I'm willing to play "Competitive X", I want to learn every mild potential nuance to attain victory. Almost every SRPG has a function to simply look at your opponent's units, and if it's a game you give a shit about, you'll learn what "Auto-Life" and "Berserk" mean. It's the same with literally every """"e-sport"""" that isn't just an FPS. You need to learn a lot about every part of the game before you begin playing it competitively.

When you put it that way it does sound interesting. You'd need a relatively big name behind a theoretical game like this to grab the numbers needed to get this kind of data from dedicated players. Nintendo could do it with Fire Emblem. They already kind of did with FE Heroes, but I'm not sure the PvP would work with human v human matches. IIRC all the competitive gameplay in that is humans versus an AI controlling the enemy human's team. Plus a whole lot of gacha whaling.

so, a moba, except slower paced and with settings/characters that aren't literally the shittiest thing Blizzard/Riot could come up with. Could be nice, but the only viable route is Fire Emblem, which already needs to die.

They have to be generic to be properly competitive. There are multiplayer games like this with units that have "hero abilities", lots of them actually, but they are always shit because it's a stupid idea. Duelyst is an example.

>competitive concept
It's not though. There's no way to actually make something like this balanced and challenging. It's just a stupid version of tabletop strategy like wargames and chess, which already have huge digital competitive scenes. Nothing like FFT could ever be competitive because the system it's designed around is bad and only works because encounters are scripted.

>You'd need a relatively big name behind a theoretical game like this to grab the numbers needed to get this kind of data from dedicated players.
I'm not joking, you really do not. It's just a matter of having dedicated players at all. You could make a game with as large a name behind it as Fallout and still have wikis full of incomplete data and horribly arranged information tables. The autists will come if you have people who rein them in and tell them what to do. It's not even a matter of possibility, they KNOW what they want to do. If you task someone with gauging the power of every single generic monster in the game, regardless of how much testing they need to do, they'll make it work.