How does university admission (undergrad) work in your country...

How does university admission (undergrad) work in your country? Do you have to take specific school-leaving exams to get admitted to a specific study program? At least that's how it works here.

Attached: flat,750x1000,075,f.u2[1].jpg (750x920, 32.21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

insidehighered.com/news/2016/06/24/supreme-court-upholds-consideration-race-admissions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

In one you have to do a whole year of admission course.

In most it's six months.

For undergraduate we have 2 major admissions exams - SAT and ACT

Universities also look at:
GPA
Difficulty of Classes
Extracurricular Activities

Sometimes an essay but i doubt they read that shit

Closest thing I've seen is the German system. You choose an orientation for high school that gives you the prerequisites for certain study programs. The most extensive one is the natural science orientation which makes it possible to enroll in pretty much every program. You apply with your GPA and Swedish SAT. They don't consider these together but have different quotas, they usually enroll 1/3 from the SAT, 1/3 from GPA and 1/3 from other special entrance exams or community college grades.

It's not nearly as extensive as in the anglo world but I'm pretty thankful for that, didn't have to spend my childhood looking for extracurriculars to spice up my CV

We have a point system.
You can earn 500 points.
100 comes from your results at the end of the last two years of high school (Maths, Hungarian Language, Literature, a Language and one Science subject (Biology, Chemistry or Physics)
100 from the average results of your matura exam percentages
100 from a matura of your choice
100 points is extra you get for taking 1-2 Advanced exams (50 points each)
40 is for having a certificate in a language (B2 - 28 points each, C1 - 40 points)
The remaining points are reserved for those with disabilities or less than ideal backgrounds. (Or those excelling at sports or national studying competitions)

You have to take 5 matura exams.
Hungarian Grammar and Literature
Mathematics
History
A Language (Anything from English to Latin and Chinese)
Free choice (Could be anything from Media to Religious Studies. Even a second language.)

Language exams can be taken prematurely if you have a mark in the necessary grades, which you can get through the school's internal exam system.
I for example did a German Normal matura and an English Advanced matura in Grade 10, so now I only have to take the three mandatory subject in Grade 12.

Universities get your results through a central system and they pick who gets accepted based on your points. So if they have 30 openings for a class and you're the 31st based on your points, then you don't get accepted, but if you're the 29th, then you're in. Of course you can pay your way into the system if you don't want state funding, but if the paid openings are filled, then the point system is used again to determine who stays.

Or you can just to a community college for a year and transfer, then they just look at your new GPA. Probably much easier than getting in right through high school.

you guys forgot diversity points and legacy

>pay your way
How much does this typically cost?

Based.

Not going to lie, community college was so comfy too, I did not want to leave. Classes are small, academics are a joke and very easy, cheap af to attend and the campus was small and cozy.

How big of a deal are these? I hear whites and Asians complain about affirmative action and minorities complain about legacy all of the time

it's a meme at the large state universities but more of a thing at the small prestigious private schools.

When you are 11 they send you to a different middle/high school depending on how smart you are.
And that diploma also determines to which forms of education you will be admitted after high school.

Depends on the given course.
Some are relatively cheap. Humanities clock in at around 120000HUF/semester (~370 USD) to 300000HUF/semester (~930 USD).
Medicine costs the most at 1350000HUF/semester (~4200 USD)

In most cases it's just the bacalaureate exam, an average of three tests that vary from one school profile to another, the nature of which has no bearing on the type of uni you can get admitted to. In special cases you might also have to sit an admission exam.

It's a big deal for grad school

Here is the GPA/MCAT for black students vs white students

Attached: medschoolaa.jpg (1907x689, 431.51K)

In Mexico the entrance into the public university sistem is hard as fuck and your chances in some places are 1/100, mainly because of the amount of applicants.
I got into my career on the 2nd try.
If you want to join a private university is as easy as showing up and paying. Some of this universities allow you to take a test and according to your performance they may let you apply for a loan or a scholarship.
Getting a degree don't mean guaranteed success doe. I've just finished medicine and I am unemployed. I'm taking the extra time to study for the specialty admission test.

What's the best uni in Mexico?

So if you went to smart kids school, you automatically get admitted to university.
If you went to a school for dumb kids, then you are expected to go learn a trade afterwards.

Theoretically you could jump through some hoops and still get admitted if they are above the age of 21 and followed some additional courses, but people rarely do.

Is it true in Europe if you want to pursue some professional career (Lawyer, doctor, dentist, pilot) you generally have to make that happen before you finish high school? I've seen some euros on reddit say it's virtually impossible to get into a med school after you've already graduated and went to another uni etc

It seems there is no "2nd chance" if you were a shitty high school student?

If you want to get into engineering or math I'd say "Tecnológico de Monterrey" or "Instituto Politécnico Nacional".
For anything else "La Universidad Iberoamericana".

Damn, the Dutch do not fuck around. Say you are in the school for dumb kids and then you get a passion to go to a uni, can you perform well and get promoted to a smart school?

legacy is huge for ivys and other well known unis like stanford/mit/caltech as well as some smaller private colleges
diversity is pretty big, but like says it's huge for grad school/med school etc...

You can do whatever you want, no admision bullshit. Nobody looks at your grades either. If you fuck up your year, it's your own fault.

Only for med students there is an entrance exam and a numerus clausus

After elementary school you are basically locked into a certain education level here.
Then two years after you picked the subjects in school, which lock you even further.
And then a couple years later they ask you to pick a study... but 90% of the studies are already outside of your predetermined path.
If you want to become a doctor you have to pick a certain university study, but because there are limited spaces only the best students and a few random ones get allowed in.
Law school on the other hand lets all kids in with a high school degree for smart kids. So every smart kid who doesn't know what to study, studies laws.

find an admission calculator and see for yourself

you can have pretty good scores as a white or Asian and still get rejected, while those same scores would give you an extremely high chance of acceptance if you are black or latino

Are pilots trained by the government in the US?
In Europe that is something that is completely private. You have to go like 70k€ in debt.

With regards to your answer, second chances exist but usually require that you do years of additional schooling and prove yourself.

But this is only true for private schools right?
Not for government funded public state schools?

>But this is only true for private schools right?
>Not for government funded public state schools?
no

>Are pilots trained by the government in the US?
Only military pilots. But I thought there were state trained pilots in cunts like Germany? Maybe I was wrong

>With regards to your answer, second chances exist but usually require that you do years of additional schooling and prove yourself.
Interesting. Here in the US, once you're in uni, basically nothing you did prior matters at all anymore.

no it's true for state schools as well

To get admitted to medicine, your biology and chemistry exam scores have to be top-notch.

if your country doesn't have this system then you don't live in a free country

insidehighered.com/news/2016/06/24/supreme-court-upholds-consideration-race-admissions

It's not that hard here. You can get in with shitty grades if you have a good SAT score, and the SAT can be done how many times you want. There are certain classes you need to have taken in high school to be able to apply (some advanced chemistry and biology) but that's it

>Only military pilots. But I thought there were state trained pilots in cunts like Germany? Maybe I was wrong

Lol no. You to go one of the big airlines like Lufthansa and you sign up to be their serf, and they fund your training, IF you have good enough grades and everything to be selected. If not, your other option is to fund it yourself with debt.

>Interesting. Here in the US, once you're in uni, basically nothing you did prior matters at all anymore.

It's not so different. It's just that in Germany you can start medschool at 18. If you don't have the grades you have to do a degree, get good grades in it and apply at 21 like in the US.

For the race based admission thing. It makes a lot of sense for medical schools, black doctors tend to serve black communities, asian doctors tend to serve asian communities, etc.

Many medical schools make it clear that their mission is not to find the best candidate, but to find candidates that will serve the community.

That's fucked up. Something like that would never be allowed here.

So anyone can attend Ghent University, you just sign up and start taking classes?

Theoretically it's possible. But dumb kids get 4 years of high school, with for example 6 subjects a year, and they won't go in-depth. While at the highest education level you get 13 subjects a year, for 6 years long, and go very much in-depth to prepare you for a master education.

It's literally the difference between learning math for astronomy while teaching kids five languages and teaching kids how to cut hair and plant some trees.

I would believe this if the medical system didnt support our healthcare jewry
besides if they really cared they wouldnt make people take the MLE or whatever it's called in english with a higher threshold when some random Haitian doctor is intending to just treat Haitians in Miami

Never say never

Attached: 1586818512037.jpg (554x554, 22.72K)