How do you pick a "key" for a song?

I don't just mean major/minor/phyrigian/whatever I mean, how do you pick the actual note?

I always end up choosing randomly, is there some system for this?

Attached: circle-of-fifths--1523016231.jpg (640x640, 146.43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6c_LeIXrzAk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I usually have motifs before a song, so I chose the key based on the motif and when I want to change the attitude i modulate it.

Find the note to the melody you hear in your head. Hum.

pick

D

I don't hear any melody in my head until I start playing actual notes.

i strum chord progressions until i get a neat one

>How do you pick a key
>How do you pick the... note
Tell me what you think a "key" is.

Starts with a note then is in major or minor so you can find the other notes.

So a key is a process?

Play what ever string of notes sound cool
Write it down
Make a song using your ear
Fuck theory

You're talking about melody I'm assuming, not key. Picking a key is picking a major, a minor, etc. and is doesn't really matter. writing a melody is different though

I always use the key of c major in all of my songs.

If you sing the song, pick the key based off of the pitches your singing voice can hit, if it is instrumental, just pick, pussy.

The stop trying to become a musician.

I'm not trying to become a musician. I just want to make some cool music for my game.

>get high or drunk whatever the fuck you prefer
>pick up whatever fucking instrument you play
>????
>guaranteed 10 minutes into fucking around you will at least have something youre messing with
>write it down
also look up cadences, cause thats pretty much going to be the most barebones progression tool you can use.

Then just literally pick a scale and make a melody within in. E minor has my vote.

If you want happy music pick a major key. If you want sad music pick a minor key. Then listen to the notes in the key and if you like then then you create the melody. You can also change they key of the song during the song if you want it to make it better.

But how do I choose the note?

If I want to make it happy, what's the difference between choosing C major and D major or G major etc?

How common is it to change key?

You should watch some music theory stuff on youtube. Just play around with some melodies you think are the closest to what you want and then just transpose it up or down a few keys until you find it.
>inb4 Neely
I know, but he has some good videos on explaining these things.
youtube.com/watch?v=6c_LeIXrzAk

>But how do I choose the note?
Each note has a different frequency, pick the one that sounds better to you.
>If I want to make it happy, what's the difference between choosing C major and D major or G major etc?
Each note sounds different, and each key has a set of notes that you can use and that'll sound good.
>How common is it to change key?
In modern pop music? Veru uncommon. In classical music and jazz? Very common.

There is none, the emotional aspect does not come from sheer tonality, it is in relation to the progression of the notes. Hence, why other user was telling you about major and minor scales

How exactly do you plan on making this music for your game in the first place? In a DAW?

Yes, and guitar

Think about the setting in the game that you're writing a song for, or think about what inspired you to create that setting. Learn some musical theory and dissect some of the songs you would associate with that game. That's at least what comes to mind when I try to make music for my projects. Also, it would help if you told us what game you're making/what inspired you to make it.

If you're in a DAW you can just play a melody in a certain key that you feel is right and just transpose it up until it fits what you originally intended. What DAW btw?

Reaper

I don't know, I'm not really inspired to do anything. It's mostly just a clone of missile command with new weapons. So it needs to have a catchy theme to get you pumped up.

start putting in synth bass lines and experiment alot. its really subjective so asking about keys i don't really think will help other than knowing what notes you can play. but theres the 7 modes that add a whole different feel on everything

Sounds good, simple as that
>Muh music is intricate and deep
No its just noise

Pick what's comfortable to play on your instrument/what is comfortobale to sing with your range.
Pianofags like B and C major and guitarfags like C and G major for example