/punku/ - Punk Unity General 001: All Subgenres Welcome Edition

As more loose threads about punk related genres start popping up, let's just make a punk unity general, as most people probably dabble in multiple genres. Doesn't matter if it's emo, hardcore, post-punk, dance punk, pop punk, whatever, post it.

Starting off with a Minutemen classic, a good record to start off the series. It's kinda niche so right up Yas Forums's alley, band related to your typical So-Cal punk / hardcore from the early 80's, still weird enough to draw in the artsy folks?

Possible topics:
> I'm from X and my scene is Y
> Moshing (or not)
> Stagediving
> Cool music

Attached: Doublenickels.jpg (280x280, 17.36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CD9XR_QwTJo
youtube.com/watch?v=sm8Z9V8I0cA
youtube.com/watch?v=a5cWOERfMo8
youtube.com/watch?v=LVoKOlFFyl8
youtube.com/watch?v=bNq_SpKih2I
youtube.com/watch?v=EZLEgERCdS8
youtu.be/t4VOt-sVT30
youtube.com/watch?v=cx7HgppQl2w
youtube.com/watch?v=O2nhQeayLxU
youtube.com/watch?v=bHqOSIrEjMU
youtube.com/watch?v=iIMR-bw1DIA
youtube.com/watch?v=0blsrwHRPF8
youtube.com/watch?v=1-m_xtblwI0
youtube.com/watch?v=k5e13TiCQe8
youtube.com/watch?v=5orPu38hZmM
youtube.com/watch?v=1LyNghrtQyY
youtube.com/watch?v=iYvt4I52wgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=WKvfHTP05SA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump

Attached: R-1377561-1390792197-3918.jpeg.jpg (600x600, 128.06K)

How is there's so much punk discussion on here in the last few days but a punk general can't get going

Just found this record. Some wild experiments. I'm curious to know more about this scene. All I knew about the SST scene was Minutemen, Black Flag and Saint Vitus.
youtube.com/watch?v=CD9XR_QwTJo

Attached: cracks.jpg (591x600, 93.63K)

Probably because people don't think about longetivity. The genre in itself is gonna get a newish sound real soon, some kind of revival is gonna happen. Hopefully some type of community liked unity general (not necessarily this one) can help Yas Forums keep relevant. As our world tumbles into chaos, punks firm grassroots image might be a beacon of support for people who need it, socially and musically.

Let me start of with some records:

PUNK
The Germs - GI
youtube.com/watch?v=sm8Z9V8I0cA

HARDCORE
Floorpunch - Division One Champs / Goal Line Stand (Twin Killing)
youtube.com/watch?v=a5cWOERfMo8

EMO
Glocca Morra - Just Married
youtube.com/watch?v=LVoKOlFFyl8

SKA PUNK / PUNK WITH HORNS
Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb
youtube.com/watch?v=bNq_SpKih2I

POP PUNK
Saves The Day - Through Being Cool
youtube.com/watch?v=EZLEgERCdS8

Can we please just not

There is no “revival” because it’s still active you out of touch donkey

what are some bands similar to Hüsker Dü? their sound seems to be extremely unique relative to most hardcore/post hardcore etc.
I need more bands with Bob Mould’s piercing guitar tone and melodic approach to the traditional hardcore formula

I just started listening to Minutemen a week ago. I started with this album. All of the songs are really good but I wish they weren't so fucking short. Where do I go from here?

In that sense there was no revival of anything ever. One of the biggest allround punk fests in Europe, Groez, is probably shutting down. The more alternative scene in my country is surely getting somewhat smaller. I guess hardcore is quite alive in the States?

Revival might be a bad word actually. I think something 'punk' (whatever subgenre it may be) is gonna get some part of the limelight. Probably bad for the genre in terms of quality. The fact the world is spiraling into chaos is probably gonna make it a fad in some parts, atleast.

You might like this.

Attached: jawbox.jpg (600x587, 67.56K)

thank you brother. I'll give it a listen the next time I'm spraying hot fat out my ass

Not the biggest Minutemen fan, but my fav band from SST/New Alliance is Descendents (although they're kinda famous around Yas Forums I guess?). Milo Goes To College is an early 80's hardcore record. Yes, controversial take, but as Dents were basically Black Flag junior, it makes sense. Enjoy and ALL from the later 80's are definetly pretty goofball records. No Means No from Canada might be another match, you could try both?

Attached: tenor.gif (220x184, 123.25K)

Samhain

Thanks user. I never listened to The Descendents but I had a dream about Nomeansno last night. I'll check them both out. The only Black Flag record I like is Loose Nut, and In My Head only for nostalgia reasons.

Attached: Screenshot from 2020-04-29 22-25-55.png (1920x1080, 936.17K)

Any bands similar to Ging Nang Boyz?

youtu.be/t4VOt-sVT30

Attached: 3a9a08c49bec3b7fe2c99e350043e302.jpg (500x607, 25.58K)

Aight. What do like the most, Danzig, Samhain or Misfits? Had a pretty big Danzig and Misfits phase at the end of high school but never really got into Samhain.

*What do you like the most?
I'm incompetent, sorry.

Samhain is pretty underrated but I only ever listen to them in October around Halloween.

Attached: British+Justice+front2.png (362x363, 122.2K)

this is pretty good but I also have a sweet spot for this sort of emo.

for minutemen fans >tar babies
youtube.com/watch?v=cx7HgppQl2w
>otto's chemical lounge
youtube.com/watch?v=O2nhQeayLxU
>saccharine trust
youtube.com/watch?v=bHqOSIrEjMU
>big boys
youtube.com/watch?v=iIMR-bw1DIA

I would also like to know

Attached: kolya.jpg (405x405, 38.44K)

Random ass curveball rec, try this Belgian band
youtube.com/watch?v=0blsrwHRPF8
Their first ep sucks, the rest is pretty good.

nice rec, do they sound like this in the studio as well? great muddy pitch.
also I hear this opening riff played in the chorus at 1:11, sounds really good in this context desu
youtube.com/watch?v=1-m_xtblwI0

Basically, their Teen Creeps ep is pretty shit, the single with The Point is ace. Full lengths are pretty good, but I kinda got bored of em as I fucking destroyed the The Point single :p.

I would also like to know this

Attached: artwork.jpg (350x350, 42.29K)

How punk are the first 2 Meat Puppets record ? Only familiar with Up On The Sun...

Are there any folk punk fags here? I've been listening to Moldy Peaches and David Cronenberg's Wife lately.

Back with the based Belgian recs:
ONMENS
youtube.com/watch?v=k5e13TiCQe8

Never thought I'd see the day I'd get to post music related to my home cunt.

First one is basically straight hardcore, but the second one is mainly country and psychedelia, with some punk influence.

youtube.com/watch?v=5orPu38hZmM

Oh, this is good shit. Thanks user.

youtube.com/watch?v=1LyNghrtQyY
youtube.com/watch?v=iYvt4I52wgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=WKvfHTP05SA

Attached: fanmail.jpg (600x591, 100.09K)

Meat Puppets first release is straight up screaming hardcore for like ten minutes, band said they were on acid during recording. 2nd release is more psychedelic rock with country, folk and punk influences, alternates between many genres with a very unique sound. 3rd release, Up On The Sun is more mellow psych rock/country. It's all worth listening to they have great music.