Anybody have a career as a welder? I have zero experience in trades but I want to get out of retail slavery...

Anybody have a career as a welder? I have zero experience in trades but I want to get out of retail slavery. Welding looks pretty cool but is the money worth the labor?

Attached: what-kind-of-metal-do-you-need-for-welding.jpg (768x768, 79.46K)

Depends if ur doing factory welding or like pipeline welding. Factory is really ez but doesnt pay much unless ur lucky

if you learn reactive metals; zirconium, tantalum, titanium. people will literally bid for you and you could make up to 100$/hr. even if you learn your basic stainless and carbons you can become a contractor and travel around different states and get booku money.

Depends on who you are and were you live. I love it and I make good wage for where I live.

Are you able to choose where you work at?
Thanks for the tip
What do you mean 'who you are' ?

its a decent job, but it really depends what kind of shop you work in, if you have asthma the fumes are probably gonna wreck your shit. another thing is being able to have enough dexterity to actually lay down nice passes and being able to slap out part after part, day after day

Do you like manual labor? Or are you just looking for the easy way out? Don't bother if it's the latter

I don't have my own shop yet but I've been going to school for welding. There's good money in it. Plus you'll never be out of work. Something always needs welded. I'm actually gonna use my stimulus check to buy my own welder

study metallurgy first
learn all about heat control and the different heat properties of different metals
buy a cheap welding machine and some scrap and practice running beads on some coupons
buy a good quality angle grinder and lots of disks
go to all the fabrication shops in your area and tell them to put you to grinding all day and ask them to teach you welding OFF the clock after you've worked a few hours of overtime each day
let them know you'll pretty much live there and work all day every day weekends holidays etc, you just want to learn
any welding lead or shop owner will literally suck your cock if you run up at them like that

I heard they use protective gear for that
I don't ENJOY manual labor, but I'm also not looking for the easy way out. I just want a comfortable living.
Cool idea
Well if I buy anything it'll be a while because I pretty much live paycheck to paycheck

They all break their back by 30 best idea is to become a welder then use it to become a deputy inspector they get paid min 4 hours at 40-50 an hour and you can use it in most states

No can do acab

Welders are all without exception absolute retards. Good skill to have in your pocket, but doing it for a career is something only stupid asses do. Some dumb fucks will come in and tell you how fucking wacky rich you can get by learning certain metals or hey bruh maybe you can go be an underwater welder or work in Alaskan pipelines blah blah blah.

Newsflash, you won't do any of that, you'll probably suck ass at it and maybe after like 6 years you'll be making like $32

Sure beats making less than 11/hr my entire life. Unless you have better alternatives

I have a UA 21 and 22. Which means I weld pipe for a plumbing union.

Is it a good career? Yes. When I weld I am paid 43 an hour net. When I am just doing regular industrial plumbing I make 34 net an hour.

I would strongly suggest not becoming a shitty ass mig welder working in a fab/production shop. They are the niggers of the welding world.

Lmao this is what I'm saying when I say all Welders are fucking retards.

>go be a slave to some mongoloids and get paid nothing to do so, because apprenticing is still done like it was in the 30's right?

Fucking anything man. Unless you ARE Indeed an actual retard then it's fucking easy to go anywhere. Go to the post office, there's always one hiring nearby. Go fucking become an electrician or a plumber, both are worlds above welding.

You'll be blind by the time you're 50

Do it. It's great work, but hard on your eyes after a while. Most places are fighting tooth and nail over welders, so the pay is great. (At least it was before the pestilence engulfed the earth)
If you can weld, and are good at it, youre set. In Illinois, some unions offer paod training at $18 an hour starting.

yo op its relatively brainless and easy to do but you gotta be mildy tough, its not for weebs by any means, your always getting burnt and shit - safety included your still gonna get stung all day every day
lol even in your pic the dude is getting sprayed but hot sparks and most likely an ember or two which is the reality

The money is decent depending who you work for. There is a lot of money in pipe welding and under water wedding

This guy works at Hardee's.

>32$ after 6 years
I don't think you realize how much that is in some areas

Indeed so. The poster is a fucktard. Posting without knowledge.

Is it too late for me to learn this, im 28 years old and i only worked in retail, why yes im a loser how could you tell

Ok boomer

Quads. This is your new life plan. Accept it.

there is a reason trades have always, and will always be looked down on. it is because it doenst require a high amount of intelligence or discipline or talent to learn these skills. that means anyone can do it. im not saying they arent useful, they are. but a trash can is useful. but would you compare a trash can to a microwave?
the point im trying to make is, its worth the labor if you cant do anything better

It's way better than retail. It'll pay a bit more, and you'll be more respected, and you'll have valuable skills.

But it is hard, back breaking work sometimes. You'll get out what you put in. Good luck OP.

I started my plumbing apprenticship at 31. I am here

start as soon as you can, everyday that passes is just lost time.

They drug test for weed fuck that!

I heard thats the way to do it forgot the number of years but you just put those few years in then become an inspector.

same for electrical isnt it cuz it sounds alot like what they tell us

I started my electrical apprenticeship when I was 24 and have worked with much older apprentices