Name TWO times a time travel retcon-heavy story in a JRPG was executed poorly

Name TWO times a time travel retcon-heavy story in a JRPG was executed poorly.

Attached: Chrono_Cross-title.png (320x216, 89.26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YixCHGNz_cY
youtube.com/watch?v=VDbfOdvFBrA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Kingdom Hearts every game

>another brainlet filtered by kino cross

1 was a fine, light-hearted adventure.
2 started to get retarded but still was a nice balance. Roxas' into story was surprisingly good.
Everything after that was a trainwreck, but BBS had its moments and was only really ruined by trying to connect to the other games.

Cross is absolute kino

>tfw 20 years ago Square made ambitious games that played with expectations like cross
>now they make remakes and direct sequels to cash off nostalgia
fuck...

Pic obviously not related right OP? Crono and company getting BTFO doesn't mean shit.

>still crying over based Masato Kato making the game he wanted to make rather than pandering to fans with "Crono, Lucca and Marley save the world again"

Good to see triggertads still butthurt over a Cross dumping their DBZ knockoffs into the trashbin of history.

Chrono Cross is shit. They shouldn't have left Toriyama's artstyle in favor of generic anime artstyle.

Toriyama is the generic art style.

toriyama himself dropped out

I feel like Cross would be way better if they just completely ignored the Schala plot, I'm too small brained for this daughter-clone shit

There is nothing more generic than Toriyama and his hideous muppets he calls characters lol

>Toriyama is the generic art style.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A. Toriyama literally DEFINES "generic anime"
B. Chrono Cross' artstyle is extremely unique. I haven't seen many other games try for such a painterly watercolor style

>has to ruin Trigger to tell it's story
>Kino

nope

trigger still happened moron

>the previous main characters die in a manner that has 0 effect on their game
>this somehow equates to it being ruined
This is why I hate you Triggerniggers. Cross has some legitimate issues like bland characters and inconsistent story execution, but you always focus on this stupid non-issue.

I think you missed an opportunity to go with "Triniggers".

>Toriyama
>generic
How many anime do you watch? 5? Like holy shit can you imagine looking at Toriyama's art style and calling it generic while looking at the shit that is Chrono Cross art style and calling it unique? I mean this face defines the look at those "How to draw an anime character." guides.

Attached: Serge.png (230x570, 175.88K)

yeah and then Cross just casually kills off the cast off screen.

Cross needed to be it's own thing instead of trying to tie it to Trigger

Those deaths and everything that Cross introduced killed the greater potential of the series to have a continuing story after Cross ended.

Imagine looking at eye shape alone and letting that define your opinion on the entire art style

Kato wanted Cross to be the last game.

chrono cross is the best rpg ever made

How mad would you be if they announced a sequel to this

Choro Trigger's story was going to get ruined by any sequel that was made. Cross's story was fine, it was just executed poorly with 90% of the important stuff being dumped on the player right before the final boss.

>cross is ba-
youtube.com/watch?v=YixCHGNz_cY

The only ones who are confirmed dead are Lucca and Robo whose deaths are explored in detail ingame
Crono and Marle are not necessarily dead just because the child versions of themselves appear as apparitions in the Dead Sea

Finally a good thread

cross is about the journey. all stories are stupid, really. (except the Gospel of the Lord)

Chrono Cross was actually great, it's just that Trigger babies to this day still cry about it. lol get fukt, FF6, FF9, FF10, Xenogears and Xenoblade were better.

Attached: 1311037888039.gif (374x254, 1.75M)

Kato on Cross:
>After the announcement of Cross this time, I heard a lot of voices out there that were saying things like, "man, this isn't Chrono." To tell you the truth, I was gravely disappointed. Yes, the platform changed; and yes, there were many parts that changed dramatically from the previous work. But in my view, the whole point in making Chrono Cross was to make a new Chrono with the best available skills and technologies of today. I never had any intentions of just taking the system from Trigger and moving it onto the PlayStation console. That's why I believe that Cross is Cross, and not Trigger 2. The thing that I can't understand is how could people possibly declare that this isn't Chrono? And for these people, I can't help but wonder what it was that Chrono meant to them? Is it possible that none of the messages that I tried to send out to these people never really got through to them?

Basically, you're all brainlets.

>Choro Trigger's story was going to get ruined by any sequel that was made.

exactly, a Sequel was not needed

Cross's story would have been good if they got rid of the stupid shit like the fairies and didn't make everything the guru's impossibly convoluted keikaku to free schala and kill super lavos

Nearly everything involving Lynx and Serge was genuinely interesting so having a massive infodump filled with weird ass philosophical rambling at the end to tie it into Trigger was a mistake in my opinion

>Cross's story was fine
No it fucking wasn't. Fuck the whole Schala/Kid/Time Devourer subplot. Fuck Porre turning into some continental empire out of nowhere. Fuck Balthazar getting turned into some dimension-hopping keikakumancer. Fuck the Dragon God subplot with those Reptite descendants from yet another dimension. And most of all, fuck the whole impetus of the story being some bumblefuck kid from some fishing village getting mauled by some random-ass panther and having Schala save him because his dad someone knew about some sacred place in the Sea of Eden where he could get healed.

>Nearly everything involving Lynx and Serge was genuinely interesting so having a massive infodump filled with weird ass philosophical rambling at the end to tie it into Trigger was a mistake in my opinion
I agree. I was also really disappointed at how little development Harle gets for how much focus the game gives her.

everything you said is dope and why i love the game. what the fuck is wrong with you people lol

Fuck you i like it

>that quote in a nutshell

Attached: 888.jpg (500x534, 41.77K)

We don't like stupid, pointlessly convoluted stories. That's what.

when you grow up a little, you've read and heard every kind of story... they're all pretty much the same, kid. unless at the end they give you the names and addresses of the richest people in the world or whatever, the illuminati basically, you haven't learned anything new that you can't get somewhere else, probably cheaper. just relax.

t. brainlet

^ Pic related

< And pic RElated

Attached: 1586507493957.jpg (1527x1902, 1.67M)

Cross was a game that was totally unthinkable to happen. It shouldn't even exist in the first place, yet it did, much like the protagonist himself. The reason for that lies within Trigger itself. Trigger was supposed to be a complete video game. Nothing could be added from it, as it's already finished and all that. However, turns out there's a lot of unfinished business when you reflect on it. Aside from the uknown fate of Schala, it had this kind of feel that a lot of issues were swept under the rug in order to fit in with the generally light-hearted tone, almost like a censorship or something. The subject-matter was usually heavier than the usual 'teenagers saving the world plot.

Now, this darker side was heavily implied but was never brought out, as they opted for fleshing out the gameplay, or focusing on developing the characters. That's why Kato wrote Radical Dreamers, and it started from there. Cross was meant to redeem the seemingly perfect Trigger that was plagued by hysteria, especially according to Kato. Whether or not they succeeded is up to debate, but it's clear what Kato intended to do. The retcon 'ending' happened outside of the game, and it's entirely subjective from Kato's point of view.

Cross is what happens when video game developers unironically fell into this 'true art' meme. I appreciate what he did for that game, even though I totally disagreed with him. Gameplay is always the most important part of video game.

Attached: 29-radical97.jpg (640x480, 58.84K)

Lynx was the agent of FATE aka Skynet.

Half of them was supposed to be this Karmic retribution for dabbling with time, except it's all fake and happened because of Skynet and Serge unknowingly uploading his personal data to the computer.

At least you can kill Citan in Cross.

Attached: Miguel_portrait.jpg (360x450, 17.27K)

>inb4 i don't like it because it's not Chrono Trigger 2

KH entries 1 thru 5.3
the plot of Call of Duty Zombies

you also have to keep in mind that the lead writer for something isn't always infallible
creation is a collaborative process and part of that process sometimes means people push back against bad ideas. even if the writing is amazing in the end, that end result was a collaboration between the writer and lots of other people who provided feedback.
sometimes after the writing in a game is well-received, the writer gets an inflated ego and thinks it was all him. sometimes enough other people also believe this that he gets too much creative control and not enough pushback in future endeavors. this can lead to a substandard product.

cross is literally one of the better looking ps1 games though

He was tough though, and you can completely ruin your game if you ain't careful.

>cross had a bad artsty-

Attached: 3-radical13.jpg (640x480, 53.73K)

Based.

youtube.com/watch?v=VDbfOdvFBrA

Kino cross makes babies seethe because it confronts them with reality. You can't just band together and save the world through the power of friendship and you can only escape into your video games for so long. You're just acting out a part that was made for you, it's utterly meaningless.

Kino cross is an existential battle waged against the escapism of gamers.

The game lost me when I suddenly turn into a furry, at that point I stop caring about the story. Also, anybody here manage to gather all the skeletons? Did he become a party member or just gave you a special reward?

The music and the scenarios are amazing. Cross is visually and musically amazing. Everything else sucks.

All true. Sometimes I wish lead writers would accept that what is done is done, and once the game is finished it's over. It's impossible to cover everything and it's not up to you lay it out. It's best to let fans speculate the rest. Minimalism was a blessing for the older generation of gamers and now we're plagued with director hand holding people through the story because "we must get it right".

yeah he becomes another party member

I like the part of the game where you play as a cat man.

Making mature games for mature gamers like myself was the hot thing back then, so of course he has to go and change the tone to something "better". The game had a mixed reception that persists even today two decades later. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea? Oh no, it's everyone else who's wrong.

That part is peak kino
>serge spends 10 hours in alternate universe where no one knows him
>finally gets back to own universe
>realises own universe is way worse than alternate now that he has a direct comparison
>also he's a beast man and his friends and family won't speak to him anyway
>somehow his home world has become more alien than the alternate universe
What a masterpiece

He better be a fucking great party member, I stop trying half way because I hate collectathon quest

Dumbest fucking decision made by a JRPG sequel development team: fill up the cast with 20 dumb, pointless, filler characters that no one cares about so that you run out of time and can't include the subplot involving Magus, one of the most popular characters from the series, even though the crux of the story involves his sister and he was in the Radical Dreamers spinoff which inspired Cross.

Attached: 1586515778676.jpg (1536x2048, 463.7K)

He's trash in battle.

It didn't ruin Trigger's story though, Cross is literally about alternate universe bullshit

The people that defend Chrono Cross are the same ones that defend Dragon Quarter and Dark Souls 2.
Luckily, they are the same ones that will never breed.

Suikoden series does the same thing yet people praise those games for it

>Chorno Trigger has the biggest cult following in the SNES library
>Realease a game under this same title
>Expect people not to except a similar experience

In this case there's a simple solution: do not title it Chrono. The reason why they did it for sales and marketing, the exact same reason they titled FFVII reboot as "remake". And when the fans detect something wrong they go back to the defensive mode of twisting words like he's doing here:

>And for these people, I can't help but wonder what it was that Chrono meant to them?

This is not an argument. It was a business decision and you valued marketing over fan reception. Now endure it.

>player begs for sequel to chrono trigger
>sequel comes out and all the chrono trigger characters get their lives ruined
>protagonist of chrono trigger literally comes on screen and blames the player for ruining everything
God almighty this game is fucking kino

Crono and Marle aren't dead, dumb ass.

Neither are Lucca or Robo after the end, but that's more complex and I don't actually blame you for not putting that together, the ending is super vague.

>not caring about Mojo and Funguy
dude seriously

Attached: 1506783837031.jpg (483x725, 73.92K)

What's wrong with Dragon Quarter?