We all agree that this is easily a top 5 FPS of all time, right?

We all agree that this is easily a top 5 FPS of all time, right?

Attached: DOOMEternal.jpg (2000x1041, 384.39K)

lol no
I can see why people are deluded into thinking it's something greater than what it really is though, it's a breath of fresh air into the modern FPS market, but it's really nothing special

As someone who fucking loves Doom in general, I can see what you mean. I beat the campaign and expected to be really excited for master levels/harder difficulties and then I eventually just stopped giving a shit. Still a really good game but it hasn’t changed my life or anything.

Definitely not. It's shit. 2016 was much better and even that isn't top 5.

What are the other 4?

Yeah, it's by no means a bad game, it's actually really good, but fuck me does it get tedious towards the end. As soon as you get the gameplay loop of Shoot -> Flame -> Chainsaw -> GK down it gets really brainless
I was going through the previous levels for the secrets and was blowing through them with zero effort

It’s still a must play for every gamer out there

doom I
doom II
doom 64
doom 2016

>Same shit
>Slightly better graphics
nah

Best FPS this decade.

It's not even top 5 Dooms games

the fps genre is bretty shit, so yeah.

Attached: file.png (625x626, 95.57K)

Of all time? nah maybe if youre a zoomer and only played a handful of good shooters.

Its great game in a time where we dont get much great shooters but not in my top 5

Definitely Top 5 all time, if you disagree you probably like highly scripted linear movie trash like Call of Duty and Half-Life

It became one of mine that's for damn sure.

yep. it becomes really repetitive, more so than the classic formula. also the platforming is fucking abysmal.
i think they made the combat too frenetic with the dash and the abilities. the problem with its it that "i can't see the monsters well". the most aggravating is when there is a totem: you are basically shooting at red blurry blobs, what's fun about shooting blurry blobs? it's a pity really because the demons are cool and i really like the wounds on them, it's incredibly cool, but you barley see all that because of how crazy it gets.
it's a clear case of "less is more":

For FPS games with decent single player content my top 5 run.

Duke 3d
Doom
Deus Ex
Quake
Shadow Warrior (original)

I mean I still like it a lot. And it's the best in years, but that doesn't automatically remove what came before. And acting as if it does will just inflame tempers unecessarily. Let's just call it a good game and leave it at that.

Attached: 1540316020464.jpg (930x585, 84.73K)

top 5 of all time, no. Top 5 of the decade? Probably yes

fuck off with your reasonable and thought-out response

Personally for me its the best by far and I have played most of the classics. Before you call me a shill let me explain. It easily has the best combat out of any FPS game and that isn't even debatable. Quake might let you do some more interesting movement tech, but the enemies don't push back nearly as hard as DE's. DE on nightmare plays unlike any other FPS made. Every enemy type is relevant, from start to finish. Not a lot of FPS, hell not even a lot of action games in general can claim that. DE also has an INSANE amount of enemy variety compared to most other games, which makes it even more impressive. You can like Duke, the og Doom games and/or Blood more for their non-linear level design, their "soul" or whatever, but DE's moment-to-moment combat is far, far superior to any of them. If you're like me and love FPS games specifically for their combat, DE is pretty much the perfect game. Its honestly like a dream come true. The only other classic FPS that comes close to pushing you as much as DE is Blood, but Blood literally only has one enemy type that matters, the cultists. Everything else might as well not even be there because they can't do anything to you. Blood also goes to shit halfway through, but that's a different discussion.

You have one talking point, a good one though, about enemy type relevancy. Everything else you said is just 'the game is good because it's good and perfect'

Condense that shit man.

Nah you're just being a faggot. I'll type how I want.

It runs at 5 fps top, yes.

>Breath of fresh air into the modern FPS market
>Not special
People are overhyping the game for sure, but the reason why it is standing out because of what you said. It's an FPS game that is something new within the modern landscape.

Attached: DoomDude.png (1920x1080, 1.12M)

>The only other classic FPS that comes close to pushing you as much as DE is Blood, but Blood literally only has one enemy type that matters, the cultists. Everything else might as well not even be there because they can't do anything to you.

That's because of the map design and enemy placement more than it is due to the enemies themselves. The levels in Blood almost never throw more than one enemy type at a time at you and there's never a swarm of enemies that aren't zombies. For example, I think the zombies could have been threatening if they spawned while you were fighting a phantasm or two in tight corridors to split your attention and Butchers are never paired with copious amounts of hellhounds despite that being a potentially very deadly combo.

What type of fucking potato are you running that you can't get (at minimum) stable 60 FPS?

Attached: laugh.jpg (474x398, 42.86K)

People hold up the classics more for their cultural significance and their modding community, they're often not judging them on their own merits.
For example, Doom's E1 has always been an ok 7.5/10 as later episodes drop in quality to inconsistently average, as does Doom 2 after Dead Simple, as does Blood after E1, as does Duke Nukem 3D after E1, as does Plutonia after MAP16/32, and as does Shadow Warrior Classic after E1. Almost all the boomer shooters drop off in quality after their respective shareware episodes because naturally the devs put most of their effort into the levels people are going to be playing first and for free. Only Quake 1 and Descent 1/2 are an exception to the shareware episode curse.

Meanwhile Eternal starts average, then gets better and better up to Arc Complex, experiences a brief decline with Sentinel Prime and Taras Nabad, and picks right back up with the incline with Nekravol, Urdak and Final Sin (with the exception of the final boss fight, which FWIW is better than most turds of final boss fights in other FPSs including the original IoS).

If you released the original Doom nowadays, it would be seen as an alright but forgettable shooter like DUSK, except for those with an eye for design. It took WADs like Plutonia, Alien Vendetta and Hell Revealed to push the enemy roster of DOOM to its full potential, where Archviles are used as regular enemies instead of rare minibosses that only appeared four times throughout the entirety of Doom II.

Eternal is rare not just for FPSs but recent action games in general to push its enemy roster to the limit and pull no punches. The game goes all out during Final Sin, and then there's the Master Levels which go even further beyond. Even DMC5's enemy configurations were dogshit laughable on higher difficulties and doesn't remotely realize the game's own potential, meanwhile here you have this AAA gaijin studio that does a better fucking job than Platinum has since Bayonetta.

It's too overly cluttered (as in the millions of tools and leveling up you have) while remaining completely one dimensional in game play. That said the vast majority of fps are bad so this look amazing by comparison, but all things considered it just "good".

I liked it but I can't see myself going back to it unless they seriously deliver so decent multilayer add on. I actually really enjoyed 2016s multiplayer in the end, was really balanced

Of all time? I dunno
but fuck, did I enjoy it.

Attached: is this.....jpg (1920x1080, 394.12K)

The only weak episode of Duke nukem 3D is the 2nd, and plutonia has its best maps at the end of the episode.

>It's too overly cluttered (as in the millions of tools and leveling up you have) while remaining completely one dimensional in game play.
It only comes off as cluttered if you play it on a lower difficulty where you can get by without using all the tools at your disposal

>it's a clear case of less is more
Agreed completely. It's really fascinating how they added all this stuff and abilities but it doesn't actually give the game any more depth or dimensions than doom 2016.

>5 fps
it sure runs at that speed.

Yeah all it does is force you to use your tools and adapt, and that's not really revolutionary in the FPS genre.

>Agreed completely. It's really fascinating how they added all this stuff and abilities but it doesn't actually give the game any more depth or dimensions than doom 2016.
how doesn't it

yes

The shareware curse as you call it came down to level designers and time more than anything else and is way more pronounced in Doom 1 than any other game there. Blood and Duke don't fall off nearly as hard or at all in the case of Duke in my opinion (E3 > E1 > E2). In the case of Doom 1 it's because John Romero designed episode 1 and did a significant amount of coding to build the game then id hired some guy off the street (Sandy Petersen) to make the entirely of E2 and E3 10 weeks before the game was released.

Eternal itself is a game that honestly feels pretty shitty for the first half of your first playthrough while you get used to the chainsaw's new role as ammo generator and increased mobility. Once you acclimate the combat is quite good but it comes at the cost of the quality of the downtime where id decided to replace exploration with platforming as the padding between combat encounters to give the necessary breathing room and for me this is a clear downgrade.

Also, your commentary about Doom being released today is irrelevant, Doom was released when there was nothing else like it and was copied a million times. Wads like Plutonia and Hell Revealed only work if the player has played through vanilla Doom 2, if any map in the base game had enemy or map layouts like either of those two wads then it would crush the living shit out of people playing the game for the first time and would be an obscene difficulty spike. For your comparison, how many times does the archvile even appear in Doom Eternal? There's no way it appears more than 5 or so times and you could crucible it every time it showed up after the first time when you could just BFG it.

I'm not sure if that's sarcastic or not, fucking halo has been doing that shit for years while not having such a bloated tool kit.

I can't describe something I don't believe has happened mate. The only things they've added that really seemed to change my approach was the carcass and whiplash. I guess the marauderer too but he can just be dealt with last. For the most part the game is just spam your weapons and run until you need to hunt down fodder to reload, repeat, whether that's hard or not is one thing, but multidimensional? Ehhh

Even with all of the random bait posts, I'm glad to see a thread with reasonable discussion about this game

This is a movie
NOT a video game

Attached: Samsplaining.png (1280x705, 798.3K)

Even if it is, why play this when RtCW and Blood exist?

Top 5:
>Serious sam 2nd encounter
>Doom 2016
>Quake 3
>Doom Eternal
>Hexen 2
In no particular order

upgrade your computer

easily, yes

No. Then again, I couldn't care less about the FPS genre outside of multiplayer games. Singleplayer shooters are all boring trash.

Exploration would never work in either nuDoom or Eternal because of Glory Kills and Chainsawing. Roaming enemy encounters can't provide the same tension by being a constant drain on resources if each enemy is a potential medkit. So rewarding exploration with resources that aren't permanent upgrades or collectibles are pointless. Without enemies inbetween arenas all you have is exploration without the tension, and all you're left with is either walking through hallways to the next arena or platforming. Sure, you had non-linear levels in D16 like the Foundry, but all the non-linearity amounted to there is being able to choose in what order you tackled each Gore Nest. What order you picked didn't affect how each fight played out, making the non-linearity almost pointless.

I'm not too fond of the platforming in Eternal not because it is platforming, but because the challenge sooner comes down to figuring out where you need to go instead of challenging your skills on HOW to execute a given route. On replays you already know where to go, so they're just busywork. Moreover the overt platforming elements are rarely combined with enemy combat, which is complete wasted potential. The only other thing you can do inbetween arenas is to do what Arc Complex did by throwing non-stop minor encounters at you instead of platforming.

I'm saying this because I don't get this fetishization for exploration in games that are clearly not designed around facilitating it. Similarly people shit on level design in later DMC games because it's arena -> corridor -> arena, but it wouldn't affect the combat at all if the overarching level design was a DMC1-ish non-linear world. Devs keep throwing in retarded swimming sections and platforming instead of focusing 100% on combat arenas, because faggots need muh variety and muh downtime in a game that can do just fine without. If it was up to me, you'd just get directly teleported to the next arena after finishing the current one.

Whete is Doom and Doom 2?

Platforming is an excuse to hide loading screen

WHAT IS YOUR OPINON ON SINGLE PLAY FPS? CAN DOOM BE A GOOD MULTIPLAYER?

I PREFER MILITARY SHOOTERS LIKE BF4, BUT MULTIPLAYER DOOM? NAH I CAN'T DO IT, SINGLE PLAYER? BLEW MY MIND 10/10

HOW DO YOU GUYS FEEL ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER ASPECT OF THE GAME? AND IS THERE A WAY FOR DOOM TO BE A GOOD MULTIPLAYER GAME?

ASKING BECAUSE BACK IN THE DAY I DID A WHOLE LOT OF A QUAKE, UNREAL TOURNAMENT MULTIPLAYER AND BACK IN THOSE DAYS IT FELT LIKE DOOM SINGLE PLAYER, TODAY ? NAH

adorable post

This comment is a rare sign of intelligence in an otherwise endless expanse of shit opinions.

I'm getting 5 fps on my 980 ti 4790k at high settings 1920x1080

Just finished it on nightmare, the game is a 7/10. eternal becomes too easy after sentinel prime level. most weapons become useless later on like with the machine gun and shotgun beyond their mod usage for combos, i never used the minigun or the BFG until i reached the last level either.

Attached: Doom Eternal Screenshot 2020.04.06 - 12.19.11.85.png (2560x1080, 3.67M)

I think Battlemode is really good. I've played it daily since launch. I'm actually pretty good at it. I rarely lose as either slayer or demons. Its unlike any multiplayer mode that I've ever played, which makes me like it even more. Every match manages to feel different because of all of the different demon configurations. You also get a real sense of who the REALLY good players are, because you're win/loss ratio is essentially displayed by certain colors on your username before a match starts. If you see a nigga with an Argent Red border around his name you know you are probably in for a really good match, because that means hes on a win-streak. If you manage to kill the nigga with the argent red border, he loses it, which makes beating him feel even better because you know hes probably mad that he lost his fancy border.

Tripfag opinions are irrelevant. Don't even deserve (you)'s.

I ACTUALLY LIKE MULTIPLAYER ON DOOM ETERNAL BUT I ACTUALLY LIKE THE OLD STYLE OF QUAKE AND UNREAL TOURNAMENT GAME MODES. ITS FUN PLAYING AS DIFFERENT CHARACTERS SLAYER VS DEMONS BUT IT WOULD BE BETTER IF THERE WAS SLAYER VS SLAYER, TEAM DEATH MATCH AND OTHER CLASSIC GAME MODES IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

turn off caps lock grandpa

I don’t know, I had a lot of fun but there were moments that felt really same-y. I don’t like how runes are free now

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>halo clone
>top 5
lol no

its not the top, but its damn fun and looks like a top FPS because ALL current FPS are complete pieces of zoomer royale trash, which is why people are overhyping it so much..

at least play both games before spouting useless autism

Attached: i_have_autism.jpg (600x645, 35.81K)

Attached: 1473295282983.png (625x626, 42.37K)