What's your favorite "autism genre" of vidya...

What's your favorite "autism genre" of vidya? A genre that only you and a couple of other specific people can pick up and play for literal decades and still not get bored.

For me, it's Theme Park Building Sims like OpenRCT2 and Planet Coaster.

Attached: 68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f6537434b3553632e706e67.png (1280x720, 383.17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Av8DZo368Jw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Whatever the fuck Factorio is

so you mean video games that are just endlessly fun year after year?

Factorio

I enjoy most "autism genre" games (which I'm going to interpret as simulation games) though clearly not to the same level that you do. I've recently been playing a futuristic citybuilder called Planetbase.

Geometry Wars

I still install and randomly play the first geometry wars every year. for like 10 minutes. i guess that counts?

I don't really have anything that i just endlessly play without ever getting tired of it. Intelligent people tend to seek novelty

Attached: homm5.jpg (1920x1080, 824.69K)

rct
ottd
sim city 4

The Factorio genre

Attached: 1574969978813.jpg (1920x1080, 1020.29K)

Gave hideous destructor a shot and im in love

Yeah, RCT. I own the books and board game. Best game ever. Never afraid to admit it. Although if you want TRUE autism, NoLimits 2. It's not even a game really.

Attached: 51bnTc4CyZL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (326x499, 57.11K)

Does bejeweled count?

i like grand strategy
but can someone recommend some good ones NOT by pdx?

Civilization Revolution
yea, I know it’s essentially the monopoly jr of civilization games, but I played it while getting drunk most nights for the better part of a decade. It’s the only game I’ve 100% completed since MGS 2 and 3

>hideous destructor
jackie chan

There are RCT books? What are they about?

Was anyone else scared of simulation games as a kid? It was like, everything was just "too real" and I couldn't handle it
When someone died in RCT I felt like a monster and the concept of death was too much to handle, and seeing the monster terrorize cities in Sim City 2000 scared the hell out of me

SimAnt was another bad one, that fucking spider and all the grotesquely detailed descriptions of how you died when yellow ant is kill

dwarf fortress has to be my one 'never stop playing' game. It just has so much variety.

Last time I played I had a young, small fortress and we all got beaten and killed by an ogre wielding a sock.

Nah, most kids were like me and loved killing virtual things because we understood it wasn’t real.

I haven't read them since I was like, 7? They are choose your own adventure books.
The first book you choose between two siblings that inherited a bunch of money and had to build a theme park. Another book was about this competition. Then one had this scooby-doo esque, save the park from the goblin type thing.
I remember book 6, the final one, dealt with aliens, and no matter what you choose you got a weird/"bad" ending. Honestly gave me perspective at that age.
I have fond memories, but they are probably trash.

I don't know but between Factorio, modded Minecrft and modden Warband I could never play another game again if I let myself.

Zachtronics games and classic Xcom with mods.

>spend time making a nice town
>destroy it all with a disaster for no reason
Okay, retard.
People like you are the reason these games are singleplayer.

Well you had your real build then your fun build. I never liked online anyways.

Fantasy 4X games like Fallen Enchantress. I can just go and create dozens of factions and play 25 hour matches on them constantly.

Easily space station 13, you get your share of autism and social interaction in one go

Attached: mister bones wild ride.gif (780x773, 2.28M)

Attached: 1596ce5db8594bc6e025b5803d95fbedacf2ad46.jpg (616x353, 36.19K)

hey hey people

It literally does not compute to me that you can't have fun making something amazing but also destroying it in a spectacular way, the fact that the thing you made was amazing and you have absolute authority over it's future is part of the appeal, not a separate experience altogether.

I mean, who didn't toss around villagers like footballs on playthroughs of Black and White eventually? What's the fun of having an elaborate theme park if you can't create rides that rocket people to the stratosphere and subsequently also their deaths, with infinite lines to cause maximum damage? You're playing a video game, being an empathetic person in real life doesn't mean you have to extend that empathy to fictional characters who can be instantly resurrected with a few clicks. You have a literal playground of destruction in your hands and neglecting to use it is a travesty.

Attached: 1405996428626.gif (300x271, 943.32K)

Cataclysm: DDA has got me hooked for almost two years, and only now I'm confident enough to say I know how to play.

Endless Space I guess.
2 is alright, but I spent most of my autism on 1.

Attached: 1568477754246.jpg (2000x2000, 258.97K)

Hitman games

Attached: HitmanBloodMoney 2012-11-17 09-28-14-00.jpg (1920x1080, 245.32K)

Check my gamer cred.

Attached: 8F3CC0E8-27C5-4DD9-9679-5BF88AFE8E07.jpg (4032x3024, 2.68M)

>what are saves

>Isn't upside down on phone.
Moot, what the fuck?

Attached: really.jpg (1280x720, 144.15K)

I love RCT, but if I had to choose it would be making train networks with big, high-capacity junctions in OpenTTD.

I didn't like the disasters either, they were barely interactive at all, it's not like you actually did cool shit to destroy the town or something, you basically click a button and see some shit happen.

Attached: junction.jpg (3840x2160, 3.98M)

OpenTTD. It hits that balance for me where it's just right in terms of autism and comfy.

I'm still waiting for a good RCT with updated graphics

And why can't you idiot zoomers actually learn video game genres? This is called simulation

>OpenTTD
>Good
*Takes out my cellphone*
*Beep beep beep BOOP*
Hello?? Big Chungus hotline??
"Ehh what's up doc"
Yeah we've got a retard here

I wish the other transportation systems other than trains had some more in-depth mechanics or something too, as it stands only train networks are really fun to fuck with for a long time for me. Still, I can't really complain since I get a lot of mileage of that anyway.

An oldie but a goodie. Was so happy when it came to Steam a few years back. My disk was getting pretty scratched up

Attached: file.png (411x500, 606.18K)

>Make Owlsharks
>Destroy everything

Was beautiful.

Couldn't really get into TTD like I could for others.
I came into the game after playing Factorio already, and not having as strong of a purpose for the transportation systems really killed my motivation.
In factorio, every train serves a great purpose that is really easy to see in the world.
In openTTD, cities grow too slowly and uniformly for anything to matter.
Any train will do as long as you check off the boxes for city growth.
Then there are the rail signals...Factorio definitely made their's more coherent and easy to use.
It might've been good in a vacuum, but for me it just isn't up to snuff with the other games in the 'genre'. Also it is oddly ugly in a way unlike SC2K and RCT.
For just trains, I liked Railroad Tycoon 2, though the market aspect also leaves things out in a similar way, but the trains are a lot prettier and it's got a larger focus on the golden age of railroads.

RCT (specificaly RCT1 campaign in OpenRCT2) is still one of my absolute favorite games. I've never really gotten into many other management games since, I think its the blend of creativity and management that really gets me. I haven't tried many of the newer true 3D games but Parkitect is rad.

Grand Chase
Even after years the official servers died every now and then I still search for private servers.

What was your favorite map?
I spent most of my time at Razor Rocks because I didn't have a time limit, and I really liked putting my coasters inside the rocks like the Matterhorn at disney.

The goal in OpenTTD as far as I'm concerned is to have a good service rating at all stations, I don't give a fuck about town growth unless playing with some special town building script or something (which will then have its own custom requirements). In the vanilla game it's very easy at first to maintain good ratings while production is low across your entire network, but once industries start growing it gets harder and harder to keep up, to the point where you need to build some really crazy shit in order to have any chance to keep up. It's the ever-increasing complexity that's appealing to me, not only does the game let you build some crazy shit, but it's basically required to do so if you want to maintain your ratings.

I have not played Factorio, but it's a game I've had my eye on for a while. How complex do the train systems get? Or rather I should ask, how complex do the train systems need to be in order to fulfill whatever objective the game has? Do you get to the point where you build huge, multi-track networks like in OpenTTD?

As you progress in factorio, you will require more and more resources, which if you design a fairly centralized factory will entail shipping in massive quantities of resources from all different directions to be sorted and processed.
You can function with a fairly simple 2 lane track system, but your factory will likely get quite hungry!
More modular factories involve hauling in a complex network between mines and factory subsections, as well as delivering resources to outposts in need.
With mods, factorio (very) easily outgrows a centralized factory and you will need to use a lot of rails.

I love Endless Legend but could never get into either of the Space games. It's probably to do with the hyperlane/solar system type map.

That does sound pretty interesting.

>You can function with a fairly simple 2 lane track system, but your factory will likely get quite hungry!
How big do you actually need to get before 2 lanes isn't enough? I've had factories over 1000 spm with no problems.

>Or rather I should ask, how complex do the train systems need to be in order to fulfill whatever objective the game has? Do you get to the point where you build huge, multi-track networks like in OpenTTD?
not him, but you can get away with “beating” the game with shitty spaghetti production-lines and horrible efficiency. Factorio is more about using your increasing array of tools to progress. The game can be as complicated as you want it to be, but building crazy shit isn’t required as there’s no ratings to keep up with
youtu.be/Av8DZo368Jw

kenshi

Yeah that rail system seems to be pretty "wide" in terms of stations but doesn't seem to have much traffic and by OpenTTD standards the way the rail network is built doesn't seem efficient at all (there are a lot of basic, flat junctions where trains seem to block each other despite not going the same way, this would jam up very quickly in a high-traffic network).

Also, since I don't know how Factorio works, is there ever any in-game reason to spread out your factory (is that the term?) all over the map and have long-distance transportation? In that video it seems that pretty much everything is close to everything else.

Attached: openttd.png (3840x2160, 1.36M)

There's not much reason to spread out your factory. But you need resources, which can only be mined in certain places, so you need transportation to bring the resources from the mines to your factory. I don't know if he's using cheats in the video or what, but you usually need a masive area from which you collect resources relative to the size of your actual factory.

Im gonna say jurassic park operation genesis. I thought xbox was cool, then i played pc and changed the ini and was totally into it more.

How do I get into TTD?

OpenTTD is free, so you don't need to buy anything. As for learning how to play, to get an initial feel for the game you can jump right in, though you won't understand enough initially to build anything complex. Just look around, learn how to build stations, buy vehicles, give them orders where to go and such. Since I'd say the real meat of the game is in train networks, you probably want to first learn what each type of signal does, since those are essential. There's a wiki that explains what each does.

You could also look for some tutorials on YT about the basics, that would probably be another quick way to get started. I first played it a long time ago when I was a kid, so I don't really know what to say about how to best start from knowing absolutely nothing. The game does have a bit of a learning curve and there's no tutorial or such. Having a video explain things while also showing them might be the best way to learn enough so you can actually start building more complicated networks. Once you know the concepts you can probably figure out more advanced things from the wiki. The mechanics are all pretty simple in the end, the beauty of the game is in how you can take a bunch of pretty simple mechanics and build complex things based on them.

Also as a couple of basic starter tips: as your initial moneymaker line, transporting coal is usually a very good start and you should have a look in the game's settings and set the train and vehicle acceleration to "realistic", otherwise trains nearly come to a dead stop when climbing even the smallest hills and it's pretty ass to deal with.

I see, so you'd basically have a wider network that's feeding resources into your central factory then.

Have you gentleman tried Workers and Resources yet?

Attached: Soviet_RailConstruction.webm (711x400, 2.86M)

Attached: Soviet_Drydock_ns.webm (800x450, 2.5M)

No, I didn't even know about this game, actually.

this

It's an openttd style supply chain management game with city building citizen management side to things as well

Attached: Soviet_Bullied.webm (711x400, 1.11M)

literally aoe2, I used the scenerio mode to build a campaign of my own

OwO what's this?

You can create a dryock and buy the licenses to produce ships. Either you can import whatever materials you need to build it or ideally you'd have supply chains in place for each item you need so you produce everything domestically

Attached: 20200315175102_1.jpg (1920x1080, 515K)

Or you can create a vehicle plant and produce any vehicle in the game you need, or export them for dollars or rubles

Attached: Soviet_RoadCraneTrain.webm (711x400, 2.87M)

Attached: 20200317125714_1.jpg (1920x1080, 421.97K)

Nice