Why are you guys so pessimistic about Paper Mario returning to form?

Every time the rumor of a return to form Paper Mario pops up, everybody immediately says "it's too good to be true" or "there's no way that Nintendo would ever return the series." Like, I get that this is Yas Forums, but why so pessimistic? Nintendo HAS been listening to their fans a lot more. First off, Super Mario Party? Is it a perfect return to form? HELL NO! But it's only problem is lacking in boards. Mario Tennis Aces was LEAGUES better than Ultra Trash. It was lacking in content at launch, but was eventually worth the price through updates. And finally, we have Luigi's Mansion 3. It's really great. Did it go completely to LM1's formula. No, but it didn't have to. I thought that this game was a perfect mix of 1 and 2.
I believe Paper Mario can do the same. I doubt it'd be perfect, but I do feel as if it can do enough good to make up for the awfulness of Sticker Star and the mehness of Color Splash.

Attached: paperboi.jpg (1280x1592, 194.19K)

Paper mario cunts just deserve to suffer, I like crushing any hope those deeply autistic psychos have.

If they made a new Paper Mario that's a return to form, they're practically guaranteed to fuck it up.

2020 nintendo isn't the same as pre-wii era nintendo. whatever return to form you get will be a half-measure and bastardized to the point of it not being nearly as good.

Every console deserves its own paper despite the glorious gba and nds

Paper Mario was never very good, praised solely because it's a Nintendo game. It's literally an "RPG" for people who hate RPGs. The only good material it had was from a negligent translation team full of something awful goons who today are hyper politically correct faggots who suck the fun out of anything. Intelligent Systems is staffed by hacks and has-beens and Nintendo is too incompetent to release a game with any ambition.

You better buy it to support and continue the series

My little brother and I love it despite the ridiculous boss fight in paper mario

Y'know, I can't wait until you pessimistic niggershits get proven wrong and Nintendo ends up making a great game that exceeds your abysmal expectations.

I love this series more than most. I even grew to love Super as the years went by. But I genuinely have no fucking hope for anything good, Paper Mario wise. I'd desperately love to be proven wrong. Optimally I'd want a follow up to the TTYD style of game, partners and everything. But we'll probably get a toad bonanza, a gross white outline, and another generic Bowser story.

Because everything after the first three have been soulless garbage.

What exactly is Paper Mario's form? It was always just a quirky Nintendo RPG featuring its most known mascot in a funny gimmick. That it had clever and funny writing in the translations was more of bonuses.

Sticker Star and Color Splash went out of their way to avoid anything that made the frist 3 games popular.
They both have incredibly shitty design decisions, its no wonder people would be sceptical

I think the actual FORM of Paper Mario is actually in the original Japanese name: "Mario Story". I think the story is (or perhaps WAS) the major focus of the games, giving new lore to Mario's otherwise bare and boring world. The Mario & Luigi games did basically the same thing.

>What exactly is Paper Mario's form?
A vibrant world with a variety of interesting and colorful characters and towns and locations, some with their own stories. Endgame content including optional bosses, equipment to collect, and sidequests. Gambling, cooking, crafting, exploring. Partners with various personalities and special abilities, as well as a wide variety of hammers and boots and weapons with different input methods and uses. In the case of TTYD and Super there were also fresh new villains that weren't just rehashes of Bowser or other past Mario villains.
In the case of Super the formula was switched up but the world was still soulful and full of great locations and fun characters.
Modern Paper Mario is watered down to the point that literal toddlers can play it, with the vibrant worlds of characters replaced by toads. It's lazy, developers thought people like Paper Mario because it was literally Mario made out of paper and not because the games were genuinely enjoyable RPGs with enjoyable worlds and stories.

>I can't wait until you pessimistic niggershits get proven wrong and Nintendo ends up making a great game that exceeds your abysmal expectations
assuming I'm one of those "pessimistic niggershits" how am I a loser in the scenario you described?

Attached: 5VuLDV0oqGi4ea9Qk5Uk_hJki9JJxO5e5QWnhn1Nw5M.png (889x573, 285.56K)

This. Just look at Super Mario Party, it's exactly as you described.

holy fuck it's been over a decade, let it go already.
Paper Mario will never be good again.

>SPMtards pretending the game isn't a pile of shit and lumping themselves with 64 and TTYD

SPM was fucking garbage and SS and CS being worse doesn't suddenly make SPM good.

Attached: 1560559510320.gif (384x212, 3.01M)

I knew it was only a matter of time before one of you contrarians seethed over based Super. I could smell your BO lingering around the thread.

Paper Mario isn't getting another game. Nintendo looked at the poor sales of Color Splash and decided that people just don't like Paper Mario anymore.

Attached: 1321312421421.jpg (749x749, 92.6K)

yeah I love shit-ass platforming and the removal of partners just to have generic sprites shit and the obnoxious 2D to 3D swap mode mixed with that hideous SQUARES LOL artstyle

>501915132
lol not gonna waste my time letting a raging hipster farm (You)s because he has no life and woke up today wanting to go argue about video games on the internet all day. Get some friends.

Paper Mario lost its original essence. It was supposed to be a story book, not a LOL PAPER AND EVERYTHING IS MADE OF CARDBOARD AND CRAFTS world.

Look at the opening of PM64 and how it's literally a story book. The game was even called "Mario Story" in Japan.

The first two games nailed the artstyle and atmosphere of a story book with a few paper jokes thrown here and there.

It was Super the game that killed the storybook feeling, and Shitter Star began the gimmicky as fuck LOL CARDBOARD LOL PAPER LOOK EVERYTHING IS PAPER AND CARDBOARD LOLOL garbage that carried over to Color Splash.

Now Paper Mario is gimmicky as fuck and not what it used to be or what people used to love about the series.

This is retarded but exactly how they think

Attached: 1585600910185.jpg (225x225, 5.67K)

SMP is the reason the series went to shit.
It was full of shitty OCs and shit that doesn't belong in a Mario game. That's why Nintendo stepped in and told them to only use existing characters for Sticker Star.

>Was there when like half of the Paper Mario fanbase hated Super
>witnessed all the people gradually backpedal after Sticker Star
(You) know who you are

Attached: dimentio walk.gif (173x215, 104.08K)

They haven't made an RPG since TTYD. I think it's fair to be cautious.

>only use existing characters for Sticker Star.
>use nothing but characters and a few enemies that appear in NSMB

Now this is textbook projection

It's hilariously ironic that you can't step back and show an ounce of self-awareness. SPM was great. It continued to be what Paper Mario should be: A fun and vibrant world with a fun story and plenty of optional content and extras that brought something new to the Mario IP.
Instead neckbeards cried about it because change is scary. It was SPM haters that ruined everything. Nintendo decided PM fans don't want fun, quirky games with new characters and a new world and lots of content. They just want to do the same thing over and over again, so here's a turn-based game with paper gimmicks and Mario characters and nothing new, hope you rike it. :^)

I'm sorry you're dumb enough to judge a group as broad as "fans of paper mario" so negatively due to negative experiences you saw or witnessed that were perpetrated by a small handful of internet autists.
Fans of the franchise aren't really suffering though because games like Bug Tales are coming out and it's likely we'll get another good Paper Mario one day.
So I guess you can eat shit, you bitter cunt.

>whatever return to form you get will be a half-measure and bastardized to the point of it not being nearly as good

Depends on the game.
Super Mario Party was that.
Luigi's Mansion 3 wasn't.
Mario Odyssey came close but ultimately wasn't.

Either way, a half measure bastardization is still a major improvement over the shit we were getting during the late Wii/Wii U Era

I get where you're coming from, OP. Every time they announce a new PM I'm mildly hopeful that it will be a return to form, but I don't hold my breath. I'd have to see some solid gameplay and story footage before I'd ever get hyped again.

Except people didn't complain about SPM because of the story.
People complained about SPM for the dogshit gameplay, getting rid of all the RPG stuff, getting rid of partners and replacing them with shitty shapes without personality.
Literally the only good aspect about SPM was the story and nothing else. It was still a garbage game by itself. Wonky-ass shitty platforming in a game that didn't have the physics to be one.

Once I decided to make a paper mario redesign based on how generic some of the designs have gotten

Attached: 87A66132-EDAB-4E23-975B-9E18D713EB34.jpg (4096x4096, 480.25K)

People like are why I feel the same as people like .
If Paper Mario fans don't know what "good" is and wanna cry about anything different they don't deserve good OR different.

I mean yeah if you read some interviews it's basically the producers going full retard over some simple guidelines.

I remake Thousand Year Door. With Coror Sprash combat and arr NPC repraced by generic Toad. That 60 dorrar prus Amiibo tax. Pay now gaijin paypiggu.

Attached: 1496453188576.jpg (209x152, 10.53K)

miyamoto is still around to cockblock any original characters or story.
nu-nintendo is making tons of money and getting widespread acclaim with the laziest, safest possible rehashes. they have no incentive to branch out. the simple fact that they let alphadream go bankrupt shows they have no interest in mario rpgs anymore.
the paper mario rumors are only being spread by attention whore "leakers" who are always wrong. people only believe them because they come up with the fantasy wish lists they want to hear.

Attached: consider.png (600x451, 205.26K)

>resorts to samefagging now
Supertards are pathetic.

>Fun gameplay
The platforming was dull and barebones as fuck, it doesn't play at all what you would expect from a Mario game. Mario has hardly any momentum, he can't build up speed, he can't slide down slopes or do any of the basic shit you'd expect from it. It's a boring fucking awful platformer game to its core with the only thing to keep you awake is some good writing every now and again.

Super Paper Mario deserves its criticism. It's not "garbage" or "dog shit", but it's a mediocre platformer that derived too heavily from the first two games. Personally I think the writing saves it and elevates it to being okay.

Here's the thing though. Nobody would actually care about SPM being middling if it was just seen as this weird spinoff. Had a game like the first two come out after Super Paper Mario, literally nobody would give a shit about SPM.
Because every Paper Mario after Super ditched literally everyone about the series people liked, Super Paper Mario is seen as where everything went wrong and seems to be blamed for the decline of the series.

In reality, the original director left and shitters like Miyamoto meddled in the production and that gave us Sticker Star, what does Super have to do with that?

Almost as if Paper Mario was never meant to be a platformer, which is why the level design in the first two games suited the basic jump and move physics. Then SPM went full retard by making the entire game about that. Shitty-ass boring platformer.

People played Paper Mario for the turn-based battles, the action commands, the various moves you could use. Not to fucking jump and stomp on enemies with the crappy platforming.
People defending Super aren't Paper Mario fans.

Attached: paper_mario_reading_map_preview.png (256x256, 69.85K)

>Like, I get that this is Yas Forums, but why so pessimistic?
It's not just Yas Forums. Most Paper Mario fags are pessimistic. The only reason you should want it to go back is for the fanbase to fuck off.

Yas Forums hates / says everything is going to be shit. That's just the nature of this teenage edgelord filled site

Attached: 1577448269408.png (499x338, 38.36K)

The partners were replaced by fucking LUIGI PEACH AND BOWSER doofus. The pixels were just tools, not substitutes for partners

And yeah id rather have Peach Bowser and Luigi on my team than a bunch of OC literal whos. SPM was amazing

And who can blame them for being pessimistic.
People thought Nintendo would learn from the vocal criticism that nobody liked Sticker Star.
And what did they do? Sticker Star HD.

I'm just tired of being disappointed.

If they actually do manage to return to form, then I'll be fucking ecstatic, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up
I enjoyed SPM and it's story, but it's gameplay ultimately wasn't as fun for me as the turn-based RPG elements of the first two games. SS and CS can go burn in a fire; SS had zero redeeming qualities and all CS had was a few entertaining NPCs, nothing more.

Attached: nook.gif (273x232, 3.62M)

>It's literally an "RPG" for people who hate RPGs.
And I hate RPGs so Paper Mario and M&L I appreciate having.

I played paper mario for the quirky story and characters and writing in mario universe. Not the generic and slow turn based combat where you do 1 damge per attack, if I played paper mario just for that then I would just play any one of dozens of jrps with better and faster turn based combat.

>nu-nintendo is making tons of money and getting widespread acclaim with the laziest, safest possible rehashes

You're describing Wii U era Nintendo, user. Their first party games have improved since then.
For the longest time Nintendo was this non step parade of streamlined, blandified and generic New Super Mario Bros type games churned out yearly.
Now they're experimenting with new IPs and returning to form with more and more franchises.

After Kirby's Epic Yarn and Rainbow Curse we got Star Allies.
After Luigi's Mansion 2 we got 3.
After endless NSMB games we got Odyssey.
After Smash 4 we got Ultimate.
After Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash we got Mario Tennis Aces.

I could go on. Some of the latter games are better than others when it comes to not being bland and lacking content, but they're all remarkable improves on the garbage we were being given.

mario and luigi was always better

>Star Allies
Star Allies is THE most milquetoast game I have seen come out of that franchise in a long time. Epic Yarn is the better game as far as I'm concerned.
Aces also isn't great when compared to the first one and Power Tennis.

But Super feels extremely non-mario. All the classic enemies and characters were replaced by weird ass geometric shapes that made no sense in a mario game

Nah

True, but the story and characters made up for it. The locales too especially.

>You're describing Wii U era Nintendo, user.
no, i'm describing switch-era nintendo, which keeps propping itself up on ports and rehashes of those wii u games you're dismissing.
>After Kirby's Epic Yarn and Rainbow Curse we got Star Allies.
barebones and rushed at launch, still following the same formula from rtdl. you also conveniently ignored the existence of triple deluxe and planet robobot to make your point.
>After Luigi's Mansion 2 we got 3.
wowee, another bing bing wahoo sequel.
>After endless NSMB games we got Odyssey.
a downgrade from 3d world.
>After Smash 4 we got Ultimate.
more advertisement than game, with horrible netcode and little content beyond the bloated roster.
>After Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash we got Mario Tennis Aces.
a glorified port.

Is it "afraid to fail, afraid to try", or "too big to fail, too big to try"?

Do you believe, user?

Attached: Screenshot_20200331-190117_Twitter.jpg (1080x2340, 596.82K)

>"too big to fail, too big to try"
this is the perfect summary of post-gamecube nintendo.

>milquetoast

How? It's not anymore milquetoast than most other Kirby games, aside from Planet Robobot.
It's not like New Super Mario Bros where literally every single area is generic Mushroom Kingdom and every boss is Bowser Jr or the Koopalings with absolutely nothing new.
It had an original story, new bosses, new characters in general, a lot of fan services, a good amount of content after the free DLC, and didn't shoehorn in gimmicky game play like Epic Yarn.
You're being overly harsh, user.

>Aces also isn't great when compared to the first one and Power Tennis.

The point is that it's an improvement over the previous game.

That was an April Fools prank, try again.

>didn't shoehorn in gimmicky game play like Epic Yarn.
epic yarn was a spinoff. the whole point was to try different gameplay.

Did epic yarn ever come out for the 3DS? Must have been a real quiet release

this. FPBP.

Paperfags are the new Metroidfags.

>Why are you guys so pessimistic about Paper Mario returning to form?
Because Miyamoto holds the franchise hostage, it's all going to be generic fucking mario enemies and toads. No originality or creativity

>no, i'm describing switch-era nintendo, which keeps propping itself up on ports and rehashes of those wii u games you're dismissing.

Nintendo porting older games to Switch doesn't have any baring on if their newest first party titles are improvements or not.

>barebones and rushed at launch, still following the same formula from rtdl. you also conveniently ignored the existence of triple deluxe and planet robobot to make your point.

Why do I need to acknowledge those games to make my point? What, Kirby as a franchise didn't get fucked over as hard? The point remains that after two gimmicky console games we got a return to form with Star Allies.
You already know the free DLC fixed the lack of content complaint so it's a moot point to bitch about.

>wowee, another bing bing wahoo sequel.

Wowee Luigi's Mansion 3 was a return to form and an improvement on Luigi's Mansion 2 and your idiocy isn't refuting that.

>a downgrade from 3d world.

Nah. 3D world is as generic and dull as it gets, unless you beat off to fursuits I guess? I'll take Odyssey with its unique mechanics and original worlds, thanks.

>more advertisement than game, with horrible netcode and little content beyond the bloated roster.

So what was Smash 4 you dumb faggot? It had less content, less characters, less single player content, and worse gameplay.

>a glorified port.

How? It has vastly more content and an actual single player mode. It's a different game and an improvement.
You're fucking delusional, user.

Attached: ENOZpN0UUAALaUp.jpg (499x428, 29.08K)