Start this game and get to the first area

>start this game and get to the first area
>signs all over the wall telling you about omnitools
>a computer terminal says it will unlock a door if you can find an omnitool
>only way to progress is find an omnitool game says
>spend 20 minutes searching a single room for an omnitool
>finally give up and look at an online guide in anger
>lol just kidding omnitool was nonexistent you were actually supposed to throw random objects against a glass window until broke to progress
I'm seriously about to quit. That might have been the worst example of game design I've ever seen. What the fuck?????

Attached: Soma_Game_Art.png (220x255, 69.77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bsh_vyAfMuE?t=25
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Maybe you're just retarded.

Really????
It's not good game design if you say the answer is something but have the answer be something else
Defend this please I'm begging you.

My younger, dumber self figured it however many years ago. Maybe you're just retarded.

It makes sense if there was no mention of the omnitool in the room.
But its covered in mentions to this tool.
Its unexscusable terrible game design

guess the real omnitool was you

Are you fucking retarded?

>getting filter by a walking simulator

God damn, dude. Just kill yourself.

Are you seriously having trouble with a walking simulator, OP? The game is praised for the story; just keep playing.

I dont understand.
Why place pictures of an omnitool if the puzzle is so far from it?
Throwing something at a window isnt difficult.
Throwing something at a window after what you've been told to do is find an item is..

are you larping as the character from the game, an idiot who can only do what he's told?

braindead OP

The window is dramatically cracked if I recall correctly, and every player is expected to have done a lot of fucking around with physics objects before reaching that point, so 'throw shit' shouldn't be far from your mind

Opening a cabinet is not the same as breaking a window.
Amnesia has puzzles based around what the vicinity said, sorry for expecting the same.

Sorry if you need the game to tell you about the magical combination of windows and chairs before you even think of it

This was so trivial that I don't even remember an omnitool ever being mentioned. Reading your account, it seems that you think gameplay is a vacuum that must be emphasized for the player to digest it. That's just wrong - world-building is critical for many games and it is inherently a layer of noise that the player must digest separately from gameplay cues. This is a long-standing tradition that the vast majority of people playing games are capable of handling.

You are genuinely dumber than a focus tester. Think on that as you leave in shame.

Where were the cues?

You're right OP. The other posters are just coping with their own insecurity and autism

OP has to be the dumbest fucking imbecile to ever walk the earth god damn

>Sorry if you need the game to tell you about the magical combination of windows and chairs before you even think of it
I mean... It's literally just called Good Game Design vs Lazy Game Design.

You can still enjoy a game with lazy design but that doesn't make it better.

this game blows
amazing story with the most unfitting and shitty gameplay

FUCK YOU user THE GAMEPLAY IS PERFECT YOU'RE JUST A FUCKING RETARD FOR NOT GETTING IT

Holy fuck you're braindead

My point isnt that puzzle is hard.
It's that the game legitimately feeds you the wrong answer.
Of you spawn and see a broken window you think throw something against it, then yeah the puzzle is rightfully easy.
But if you give the game the benefit of the doubt and say let's explore the room to solve the puzzle, then you're fed information that ultimately pushes you farther away from the solution.
Its bad puzzle design and theres no argument against that.

I don't understand. After the tutorial about picking stuff up before you wake up in the ocean base, your first instinct when you realized the tool wasn't there should've been to break the fucking glass.

If you assumed the information about the specific object meant it MUST be in the room and MUST be your immediate task to locate, inflexibly enough to ignore all other possibilities of escape, that's on you.

Dude with your intelligence definitely keep playing the game through to the end. The twists ate gonna blow you away.

>It's that the game legitimately feeds you the wrong answer.
"Okay so the game says I need this item, but the item seems to be missing. I'm playing a physics-based game that allows me to pick up objects and interact with them, including throwing them. What can I do?"
It doesn't take much in the way of problem-solving skills to figure out how to progress in this situation.

he's gonna be in the same boat as simon by the end of the game

The room had a fucking window with already cracked glass. The stain shakes and it cracks even more with shards audibly falling to the floor. How many clues do you need? I'd understand of the wad only the door but come on man the game already showed you that you can manipulate almost any object.

That's what I'm saying. It's gonna work out perfectly and be an amazing ride. Almost soul crushing. Definitely should keep playing.

I wanna believe this is a troll thread but I can imagine some autist sperging out because he got clowned by a breakable window, carrying the vendetta of feeling momentarily stupid to his grave and writing seething paragraphs in every Soma thread for years to come.

At least Simon had literal brain damage. What's OP's excuse?

lmao

kek

user i'm sorry to agree with the faggots above me but you are really a retard, the game guides you through logical decisions
>you can't open the door
>there is nothing in the room to open the door
>oops what's that near the door a cracked window?
>hmmm a cracked window... that means it's breakable!

it's simple as that, and desu, the start of the game was literally the easiest part of the game when it comes to exploration mixed with puzzles, and honestly? what you will be angry about if you continue the game til the end, is exactly the very ending, if you didn't like the game so far, stop, because it will not get any better, only the maps and enviroments but that's it.

>Dishonored
>people got stuck in the mansion level because a guard told them not to go upstairs
OP, that's you.

OP the rest of the game only gets worse, though the story is interesting.... theres youtube for that. its a walking simulator not a game.

>not a game
But what about the stealth sequences where the psychic monsters teleport around to always be on your ass?

Funny how not one of you fags have even attempted to justify the game feeding you a red herring. It's a huge part of the segment, and according to you, it's meant to be ignored. It's bullshit game design either way.

quiet down omnitool

One of the posts you quoted says worldbuilding, you moron. It's time to stop. I'd cite something in an actual game as argumentum ad abusrdum for you, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head and I simply don't care enough about your bitchfit to try.

>justify [...] a red herring
You know the name of the literary device. Now consider why it has a name along with Chekhov's gun. Hint: They are opposing philosophies, both frequently used and both valid.

you're going to relate to the main character a lot OP

Red herring is a literary device that is at odds with the medium of video gaming. This isn't like narrative filmmaking where literary devices generally transfer 1:1.

Might be good writing but it's shit game design.

It's basic problem solving you absolute idiot. Are you sure you're not actually pretending to be as brain-damaged as the protag? Because it seems like it. It's not the game's fault that you failed to observe your surroundings in a 3D puzzle-solving game and instead took the information given to you at face value.

Hehehehehe

all the stuff about the omnitool is there for two reasons:
>because realistically it would be there
>because once you get the omnitool you should come back to that place because it's an omnitool station
I haven't played the game in a long time, but considering I didn't even think to get through that bit and that no one else struggled with it must mean it's on you. you are taking things too strictly, you shouldn't rule out all other possibilities because you read something about an omnitool that can open doors. the stuff about the omnitool is noise, it's not trying to hide puzzle elements, but it makes it so the right answer doesn't scream at you. if you think about how in a lot of the older zelda games, you would see something and always know the exact item to use, and so there's no thought needed, you're not forced to think about what situation you're in or how to solve it. you see the thing, you use the item
it's not a red herring and it's not shit game design. you just are too used to the mentality that "if it's there, it must be there for a reason"

anyways keep playing, you're really going to feel like you're simon

>Protagonist is brain damaged
>OP is brain damaged
I have to hand it to you OP, your commitment to the game is impressive.

go back to your iphone games. Spend 20$ to break that glass window. Or pay 100$ to get the omnitool at that point. It will drop out of thin air.

Attached: 1584073228128.gif (500x282, 949.41K)

had no problems with the game
you are just stupid

>amazing story
The fixed ending was gay. The protagonist was a massive faggot.

hey were do you live? I can hold your hand while playing. The game has some hard emotions a little baby like you will get destroyed by if nobody is holding your hand

you would never be able to finish myst or riven OP, I can tell you that fucking much
you'd never stop messing with the contraption in the beginning of the game until you quit and went online to write a post to complain about it being shit game design
youtu.be/bsh_vyAfMuE?t=25

How does anyone playing a video game see a pane of glass and NOT try to break it immediately? That should be ingrained in anyone over the age of 10 by now

>stuck in a video game room
>first thing he tries isn't to randomly smash at the window

Attached: 8c3.jpg (496x496, 134.39K)

Because it's called immersion. It's a real (virtual) world. The omnitool text is there, because people used it at that point. But you are in a situation in that world, where you don't have the tool and you figure out how to do it without it. A game can have only so many puzzles. Metroid does take away all your pwor suit shit all the time. Glad soma didn't do it.

doesnt the game just tell you what you're supposed to do if you dont figure it out after a certain period of time?

Do you think catherine ever liked that retard, or was she just using him to get the shit launched?

She gave me unfeeling autist vibes

Attached: 1.jpg (579x571, 38.38K)

>ratchet & clank developer commentary
>the thing you can always rely on the player trying is hitting it with the wrench

im pretty sure the window has a big crack in it as well, it makes it so obvious what you're supposed to do

watching that really gave me an appreciation of all the horseshit that developers go through

>she

WHERE IS THE OMNITOOL? YOU FUCKING LIED TO ME CATHERINE! THERE ARE NO OMNITOOLS!

She knew she was a copy of a dead women and only purpose was getting the ark launched
She was baby sitting a literally brain damaged canadian and was sick of his shit from the get go and only told him things she thought would make him go forward

She was absolutely unfeeling autist the whole time

>she

She didn't know she was dead until Simon found her corpse and informed her