Black & White

Just picked this up for the first time in almost 20 years, started a good run with cow pet but an evil play through sounds more fun
Any tips or memories of this game?

Attached: black & white.png (300x426, 17.3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kSlYTn_pg3A
blackandwhite.fandom.com/wiki/Lazy_Village
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no but it was top tier comfy

Monkey learns spells and behaviours infinitely faster than cow

Teach monkey the basics then switch to a Chad pet later on

make the most of learning shit on the first map because after that, shit gets real
OH WE'VE GOT THAT NOTION THAT WE'D QUITE LIKE TO SAIL THE OCEAN

Use the dud singing stones from the first island as artefacts as they cannot be split.

Fuck you for putting those guys in, Peter Molyneux

>try to play Good
>temple ends up monstrously spiky anyway

Attached: pallisen.gif (317x237, 1.06M)

Played this again not too long ago. I found that managing villages is hell because villagers are extremely hungry for wood. They chop down all trees in the map very quickly.

You need wood for everything and I haven't found a sustainable way to keep up with the demand. They soon beg for more buildings, you can't provide them and not caring for their needs is an evil act.

On top of that, I didn't really care about the pet, managing villages is hard work already. In the end I cleared world 2 and then uninstalled.

Being good in B&W is very, very hard.

Oh damn, nice

As long as you look after the villagers currently worshipping being good is so much easier than evil

For me, it's the seemingly permanent 100% need for OFFSPRING! and I'm guessing that I can't be purely good because I can't balance that need against building houses

those boat fags and their song

you unironically sacrifice little kids in this game don't you

The second one is a flawed yet kino city builder. I am yet to find any other game that matches it.

Pity it constantly crashes on my computer at the Jap island when I try to pirate it and replay.

This is one of the games that actually deserves and could need a remaster/remake

SOUL

When are you playing the sequel?

Honestly whenever I play this, I usually spend a good amount of time just stocking up on one shot miracles from the pedestals you get from various events on the first island. You can save camera locations (I think with shift + 1 though 9), so when you get one just mark it with a saved spot, pick up (but don’t use) the one shot miracle, then either drag it to where the portal will be or just drop it off next the pedestal if came from.

To be honest doing that is pretty tedious and maybe overkill just to have an extra boost for the second island, but it’s so nice to have extra water and wood miracles.

Anyways good luck. The game has a pretty steep difficulty spike so just be cognizant that you shouldn’t always just go into the next world without bringing stuff with ya

I AM LETHYS
THIS IS MY REALM

Why did Black and White 2 remove skirmish mode and Multiplayer?

FUCK that return to island 1 mission where you get constant nuked by fireballs
FUCK IT so much.
That aside, Black and White was the game that got me into actual self learning modding. Nothing big. Just changing the culture of civilizations on maps, moving them around and such. Changing spells like shield being bigger and lasting longer etc. But it was the beginning.

I might try to find it later depending on how I get on with the first game
I've heard mixed things about B&W2 but I'd rather play it for myself to find out

I liked throwing extreme fireballs at Nemesis villagers from the starting area, using a mountain as a ramp to throw. Extreme fireballs are nice.

It's pretty kino though. I always like when games make you "return" to scenarios.

It didn't feel like a proper B&W sequel, but it was alright on it's own, though playing strictly good (ie culture influence by building large cities) or evil (invading with armies) gets stale, so mix them up was much better.

A man needs a link

youtube.com/watch?v=kSlYTn_pg3A

I never did beat that shit

Don't get me wrong, i like it too. It's just that for some reason i could never keep up with the fireball artillery. No matter how much i got citizens to worship or occasionally sacrificing, my mana never kept the shield up and in the end the town was burning.
Maybe there was a trick to it i was too dumb to see, but i just fiddled around with the scripts and ended up with a powerul cheap shield to get past this part in the scenario

Because Black & White 2 is dogshit.

So true, B&W is peak comfy. There is a lot of untapped potential, but it's fun just to mess around. I always grow a nice little tree garden near my temple.

It was a good challenge, I remember having to restart a lot.

yeah I used to go way overboard with that and my game would lag like crazy at the beginning of the next level when a mountain of material would come flying out of the portal lol.

>You need wood for everything and I haven't found a sustainable way to keep up with the demand
You're god, you're meant to create trees. Use bubbles you find until you set up your alter and get some people praying so you can always create more forests for them.

>S tier comfy village architecture
Japan, Tibetan
>Good tier
Norse, Egyptian
>Meh tier
Greek, Aztec
>Shit tier
Native indians

Remember as a kid i always get filtered at island 3. Also my creature never grow up, i wonder if it was because i had that shit pirated and it was some sort of hidden protection.

NORSE POWAAAR

>Wanted to make an aesthetic village
>Faggot villagers chop and slash down the forests and trees
>Ends up looking like a desolate shithole

Move norse down to meh and greek and aztec up to good. I don't even remember the native indians.

there were plans to add MP post-launch for BW2, but they couldn't balance playing good vs. playing evil. good was way too overpowered in that game

How do I make my creature grow bigger? I've read conflicting opinions.
>Make him sleep in the temple, block the exit with rocks
Creature begins setting the rocks on fire. It damages the temple, which sets my villages on fire.
>Make him run around with a rock in his hands
Doesn't seem to have an effect.

I think you could just water the forests really hard, to grow a ton of saplings and make it so dense that it lasts pretty long.

making him run around with rocks makes him stronger
i think growing bigger is just a time thing

OOOOH, we've got this notion
That we'd quite like to sail the ocean
So we're building a big boat to leave here for good.

We're not keen on sinking
So we're all sitting here a thinking
'Cause we built it too big and we've run out of wood.

eidle eidle eee
eidle eidle eee

We simply can't leave 'til we get some more wood.

Oooh, we're not keen on sinking
so that's why we're sitting thinking

cause we simply can't leave 'til we get some more wood.

Attached: explorers.jpg (1210x681, 372K)

Have some Pied Piper to go with that.

Attached: assman approves.png (300x350, 44.33K)

Creature growth happens when it's sleeping in its pen, leash it to the pen and pet it when it's inside/when it tries to sleep in it to teach it to always do that.

>Brought a guy from island one all the way to the finale
Well it was his sons, and he impregnated every tribe, every race on his way. One village his sons eradicated the local japanese by simply outbreeding them and suddenly it was a bunch of blond people living in a japanese village

IIRC the second one is for gains, not for him to stop being creaturelet. Never heard about the first one.

because throwing boulders out of your area of influence in order to impress other villagers is very very tempting. also, sacrificing people is the easiest way to get energy.

>BREEDAH

>Villages are normally self-sustaining, with villagers collecting food and wood on their own, but if the player helps them way too much (i.e. fully supplying wood to every building under construction, filling the village store with food until the desire flag drops completely, etc.) the villagers become dependant and the village becomes a lazy village.
That explains so fucking much holy shit

B&W 1 was hard as fuck
>spending hours just to teach your pet how to use water on fields and not throwing fireballs at trees
>janky creature combat
>having tree fields because woods will become scarce otherwise
>DO NOT make a male breeder or he'll double your pop in no time
>ignore all the pop needs to mantain productivity high
>sacrifice childs from time to time to get extra faith
>practice throwing rocks at enemy villages to get faith

I think unit combat and all it brings takes away from the creature and god dynamic, though. Having a well trained creature in the first game is such a great feeling because it actually becomes useful.

Attached: FewDisastrousBluetonguelizard-mobile.jpg (640x480, 29.83K)

is that why the offspring need stays at 100% i wonder?
I do wonder about the AI and just how deep it goes

>creature is helping village
>gets hungry
>eats villager
>move in to beat his ass
>farts mid-swing
>"your creature will poop less often"
>well, fuck
>eats another villager

Attached: 626.gif (260x179, 491.65K)

I'm reading up some trivia now and there's a whole fucking lot i never knew about despite completing the game and the expansion several times
blackandwhite.fandom.com/wiki/Lazy_Village
And then there's shit like
>Artifacts can increase the size of wonders that are to be built. If a wonder scaffolding is close enough to an artifact, the prospective wonder will increase in size.

molyneux wanted to add a system to the game where you could automatically send out emails to everyone in your webring every time particular events happened in the game. basically proto-twitter

I used to place the Creature shit on the fields, big brain or smooth brain child?

>tfw your creature makes rain to put out fires all by himself

Attached: 1236972565345.gif (480x271, 869.1K)

>not leashing him to the fields and teaching him to always poop there by himself

And also a system that would mimic the weather where you live
Such an ambitious game that didnt use a lot of their ideas. Would this even be made today?

Evil is not viable in the first game.
Only teh second games makes it viable as in the fiurst game yoy get evil points by destoryng shit and its far less efective than making shit.
In the second game evil path is jsut building armies and conqest.

I don't know if it was 1 or 2, but I managed to fuck myself over in the mission with the poisoned food.
I picked it up and put it in an enemy town, which then died out completely, so I couldn't take it over.
And my influence didn't reach far enough to take over any other towns.
I thought I was so clever.

If your creature shits in the woods, it accelerates tree growth
This fucking game

the creature isle expansion was annoying as fuck

Spore IMO was the only game that came out since BW1 that's matched it in ambitiousness. and despite a nearly unlimited budget, way too many years in development and a very talented director it still under delivered.

simulation elements it never explained to you were off the charts

If any lurker feel like replaying
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:76p5pyhzt63t6ugobg7nu6ogch7u6tnd&dn=Black%20and%20White%20%2B%20Creature%20isle&xl=1196822328&fc=5
This is both the game and creature isle

I used to own this game but my computer was never good enough to run it at more than 10fps.
Where can you get it without Amazon price gouging?