Why does it sound so bad compared to the Genesis?

Why does it sound so bad compared to the Genesis?

Attached: snezzzzz.jpg (1280x1280, 66.44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W3SA9LuqQgA
youtube.com/watch?v=EYW7-hNXZlM
youtu.be/g2oyweqZ7WM
youtube.com/watch?v=3ODKKILZiYY
youtube.com/watch?v=NKTcNeNBh0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=2YM1PZcZMoE
youtube.com/watch?v=KVWFCPSgwPY
youtube.com/watch?v=7MJjraIX31k
youtu.be/HbzCochNBx8
youtube.com/watch?v=bQVAjjoPfMM
youtube.com/watch?v=VhMjuEh6jsE
youtube.com/watch?v=aQ05d4LBfwM
youtube.com/watch?v=9ZVHOG0WFy8
youtube.com/watch?v=0m6lQStbJFg
youtube.com/watch?v=w5REmtunJtY
youtube.com/watch?v=QNJI4f9NaHk
youtube.com/watch?v=oTQIiIKummw
youtube.com/watch?v=ndsB3vPR_Sg
youtube.com/watch?v=pRTgKQDWJxU
youtube.com/watch?v=XQPm6CRAKIM
youtube.com/watch?v=DA-pMvTiys8
youtube.com/watch?v=EGWSijvWxFI
youtube.com/watch?v=x0ZGIug00aM
youtube.com/watch?v=Au_CTlKU_7o
youtube.com/watch?v=zG1H_88Vmh0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why do so many of nintendo's consoles look like goofy pieces of shit.

It depends on the style. FF6 had some amazing tunes that weren't possible on Genesis and the dope beats of Streets of Rage couldn't be done on SNES.

IMO that was the ONLY console generation where we haven't seen a true winner. You had to own both consoles to succeed.

Both have their pros and cons, but it really depends on how their used. The problem with SNES's soundchip is that while it can do a lot, it requires samples. Those samples take up a lot of memory on a limited ROM cartridge. So the end result is that a lot of stuff sounded very compressed. For example, I love the music compositions in Super Metroid, but the sound effects and music in that game is compressed to hell and back, and sounds extremely muffled.

The genesis soundchip, by comparison, just used wavetables that are simple equations and don't need to worry about compression or storage space. It was objectively more limited, but I personally prefer the punchy percussive tunes that it could belt out when used properly.

Ahem.
youtube.com/watch?v=W3SA9LuqQgA

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Conquest. That is all.

It's pretty muffled
youtube.com/watch?v=EYW7-hNXZlM

youtu.be/g2oyweqZ7WM

Kind of unfair regarding you gave an example of CD quality that didn't rely on the sound chip. The intro for Phantasia used a bunch of small samples to have a song with vocals.

Because few composers really knew how to use its soundchip to its max potential
youtube.com/watch?v=3ODKKILZiYY

Of course it's unfair, this is a comparison of what one console was capable of in terms of sound quality and what one console wasn't capable of. In order to get highly compressed, muffled voice samples on to the cartridge, they had to be ridiculously compressed. With better hardware this was solved.

SavagedRegime's Genesis mixes are based
youtube.com/watch?v=NKTcNeNBh0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=2YM1PZcZMoE
youtube.com/watch?v=KVWFCPSgwPY
youtube.com/watch?v=7MJjraIX31k

The two consoles work better for different kinds of games. Genesis music usually sounds more electronic and synthy, while SNES music sounds more organic. You can do great things with both, but the SNES is better at creating atmosphere for RPG-like settings like Zelda or oppressive environments like in Metroid while the Genesis often works better for shmups, racing games, and the like.

But if you want an example of an area where the SNES vastly outperforms Genesis on the sound side of things, check out Doom. The SNES version is way better than the Genesis version in this regard.

The Sega CD is a peripheral attachment and doesn't count. The actual sound chips are what is an objective measure, something like this regarding the end of lifespan.
youtu.be/HbzCochNBx8

americans in the case of nes/snes

>check out Doom
bad ports are bad ports
good rpg-like settings like Zelda music:
youtube.com/watch?v=bQVAjjoPfMM
youtube.com/watch?v=VhMjuEh6jsE
youtube.com/watch?v=aQ05d4LBfwM
youtube.com/watch?v=9ZVHOG0WFy8
youtube.com/watch?v=0m6lQStbJFg
You're just unfamiliar with the Genesis.

>The Sega CD is a peripheral attachment and doesn't count.
sure it does, if the playstation came out it would count. Are there any SNES tracks that don't sound horribly compressed?

Sorry senpai, but I don't think those set the tone for that sort of game anywhere near as well at LttP. It's not bad music, don't get me wrong, but the techno-vibes aren't as appropriate for it.

What techno vibes?

The ones the soundchip by nature imparts. That's what I said in my post. Maybe "techno" is a bad word for it, what I mean is that it sounds artificial and electronic. Which isn't a bad thing, but as I said, a more organic type of sound really fits fantasy RPG settings better.

The fuck are you talking about? It's sound was fine, you've got plenty of great soundtracks like mega man x, contra alien wars, donkey long, actraiser, Zelda, just to name a few

I don't see what you mean at all. I don't associate fantasy with muffled notes and softened percussion. Post examples.

At that point you aren't comparing system sound chips anymore, rather the quality of two peripherals attachments that have their own separate audio. The SPC700 on the SNES versus the Yamaha YM2612 had more voice channels, reverb, and allowed a handful of games late in its lifespan to have surround sound.

>post examples
I already mentioned LttP though.

No examples from it however.

Don't dodge, if the Playstation had come out, you'd be counting it.

ALttP is one of the worst examples of SNES music. Almost every track sounds muted and awful. Pretty much the only good song IMO is the lost woods. The dungeons sound terrible

There is no dodging, you're comparing different bit rates with different chips

youtube.com/watch?v=w5REmtunJtY

I disagree, but that's not really the point I'm trying to make. If I heard LttP out of context I'd be more likely to think that it comes from a fantasy RPG than I would be with any of the examples posted in .

>If I heard LttP out of context
Problem is you already have context and can't rid yourself of it. The comparison is moot, you've settled your mind on something you can't deviate from. The point wasn't that you'd recognize one as fantasy out of context, the point was that you thought Genesis couldn't do fantasy themed music as well. It can, none of the songs posted sound like they belong to anything but a fantasy setting.

youtube.com/watch?v=QNJI4f9NaHk
youtube.com/watch?v=oTQIiIKummw

Attached: 1581587574662.gif (280x235, 945.78K)

The point is that if I would be more likely to recognize it out of context, then it would be more likely to set the tone right when playing the game.

And again, I totally disagree with you, I don't think those sound appropriate to that at all. It's good music. But it doesn't fit a fantasy RPG setting.

>The point is that if I would be more likely to recognize it out of context
Because it's one of the most popular games of all time.
>it doesn't fit a fantasy RPG setting.
what do they fit?

youtube.com/watch?v=ndsB3vPR_Sg
youtube.com/watch?v=pRTgKQDWJxU

>Because it's one of the most popular games of all time.
You're just trolling me at this point.

LttP shows the qualitative difference in how the two consoles produce sound, and you've never even acknowledged that point. You just call the SNES "muted" and with "softened percussion," but what it really comes down to is the fact that the SNES uses samples which results in more natural-sounding music, and my central assertion is that this quality is inherently better suited to the fantasy genre. And the examples you posted only makes me think that more strongly, because they all give me an impression of something more futuristic - not because of the music as written, but because of the music as it sounds on the Genesis sound chip.

youtube.com/watch?v=XQPm6CRAKIM

>Super nintendo
>Sega MEGA DRIVE
obviously sega won.

Oh I see. You're an idiot trying to defend the Genesis' fart generator by pretending it's the opposite way.
Why do you behave like a 10 year old?

>and you've never even acknowledged that point
It was stated very early in the thread that the SNES has highly compressed sounding music, so even real instruments sound like cutesy versions of the actual thing, not realistic. It also struggles tremendously with percussion.
>but because of the music as it sounds on the Genesis sound chip.
how?
youtube.com/watch?v=DA-pMvTiys8
Does this sound futuristic?

This shit hurts my ears

Step the fuck aside, peasants.

Attached: 1920px-TurboGrafx16-Console-Set.jpg (1920x1241, 269.38K)

Get your ears checked.

>Does this sound futuristic?
Yes. The NES sound chip gives it that vibe. For the same reason the Genesis' does. Did you have a point?

youtube.com/watch?v=EGWSijvWxFI

>Did you have a point?
I think it's clear now, you're delusional.

I hate the fucking Genesis twang, man. It's so grating to the ears.

You're deliberately missing the point.

You prefer the hyper muffled "realistic" (as in, not very) music on the SNES for fantasy music compared to older synthesized notes.

Attached: yes.png (680x709, 243.33K)

>tfw his only argument is muffled
This is the face of true autism

Attached: boomerkuwanger.jpg (621x661, 88.91K)

thread should have ended here

It is a universal truth for SNES unfortunately, it just sounds like overly compressed farts.

because they’re a toy company not an electronics company

No, that's the Genesis that sounds like farts. The SNES sounds like someone screaming into a towel.

this

Genesis doesn't sound like farts, the GBA does.
youtube.com/watch?v=x0ZGIug00aM
GBA also uses samples like the SNES.

Have you heard the sound effects in Bloodlines?

yea

Because its soundchip is nowhere near as godlike as Genesis model 1's.

Ahem.
youtube.com/watch?v=Au_CTlKU_7o

Checkmate, genesiscucks.

youtube.com/watch?v=zG1H_88Vmh0
Get fucked

??? The SNES can stream pcm audio too.

It's just limited by puny cartridge sizes.

keke

SNES is better for atmospheric music, but when it comes to videogame-y, punchy, high-octane kind of stuff, Genesis kicks the absolute fucking shit out of SNES

Too bad Western devs had a fucking hardon for GEMs tho

Attached: nigggggggggggggggggggg.jpg (1022x534, 171.51K)

Genesis music is literally the most grating thing I've ever heard. It's dog-whistle tier for people who still have a sense of hearing.