Why did 343 change the art style of halo?

Why did 343 change the art style of halo?

Attached: art_style.png (1797x885, 2.85M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pM9yqsWBJaE
youtu.be/u52ySLTgfhU?t=2696
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

they changed everything about halo honestly.

To make it more distinguished that it's their series now

Attached: 1576087261653.jpg (500x469, 54.17K)

because they're a bunch of fuckin retards

Change for the sake of change, most likely to stamp their name on the franchise too

youtu.be/pM9yqsWBJaE

Mix of incompetence and wanting to make the IP their own, when it wasn't and never can be.

Attached: CE-Xbox vs. PC.png (2327x663, 2.13M)

They wanted to make theirs

BUNGiE went stupid with Halo 2 and overshot
343i pulled a Hollywood

MCC is being rush-ported to PC to lead up to Infinite.
Prominant, active MCC staff (Postums, farn, etc.) are the fallback guys for them to pin the blame on.
Higher ups will calmly state that nobody wants classic Halo after releasing deadlined ports and everyone jumping on Infinite - and MCC support will be dropped for good so the community can go work on it instead.

>just took over a franchise
>need to find a way to show fans it will still have the same magic
>i know lets change literally everything
Are corporate execs retarded?

Attached: what do you think.png (1200x800, 1.16M)

I just want custom armor in the campaign, I've never liked the Mjolnir design.

Amazing how color correction and filtering (and lack of) can have such a drastic impact.

Attached: CE-Xbox-Gearbox.png (2870x828, 2.88M)

>MCC support will be dropped for good so the community can go work on it instead.

Best case scenario frankly. gib mod tools or SDK

NO BRO IT WAS 6D CHESS THEY DID THAT ON PURPOSE

Attached: 8d6.jpg (645x729, 47.86K)

They were idiots who thought greebling = cool.

They didn't. You're just retarded. Fidelity increase != Style change.

>Higher ups will calmly state that nobody wants classic Halo after releasing deadlined ports and everyone jumping on Infinite - and MCC support will be dropped for good so the community can go work on it instead.
Oh, look, its retarded

Same reason why Bungie did with Reach. Newer game has to have more polygons and you wouldn't see much differece with old style.

>Amazing how color correction and filtering (and lack of) can have such a drastic impact
Both look like crap with that rez.

>nooooooo this 2020 release should have puny draw distance and 48x48 textures because muh nostalgiaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Came from people who *hate* the original Halo series and wanted to make their own retarded anime looking soap opera bullshit in a series where it doesn't belong.

Attached: 1583771853450m.jpg (1024x610, 76.54K)

They were overzealous and decided to hijack the series day 1 but didn't have the artistic vision to make it one game without fucking it all up.

It's a direct art style change.half the covenant species have entirely different body types.

So other than whiny comp players, is there any reason why the military raised and trained augmented cyborg super soldier with a built in targeting system in his helmet had to lose his ability to dual wield small arms in the campaign?

But they did totally change the style, and they've switched art leads several times and delegated each aspect of the art into several different departments with a shit load of bureaucracy. That's part of where 343i's problems with Halo stems from.

Gabe has talked about this exact problem and why early Valve was able to avoid these specific issues on Half-Life 1 and 2.
(along many other early game studios before AAA publishing and development got too big and bloated)

tl;dr, it's a mix of both diminished talent -- More employees are hired with just one specific set of skills for a specialized role, to fill all the roles needed for development, and in doing so the decision making process basically becomes political and disconnected.

You're paying more money to hire retarded morons, relatively speaking.

Look how fucking disgusting this sòy soaked shit artstyle is. They had no fucking respect for Bungies original soulful creations, ruined the mystery of the Forerunners, added the most annoying and retarded fucking enemy type imaginable that make no sense to even have because Sentinels are the best robot form to have. Making robot dogs and robots with legs is a straight up downgrade to something that can fly.

Attached: 1580925803657m.jpg (553x1024, 142.23K)

Fucked up the balance of dual wield-able and people stopped using grenades and melee.

>other than the reason something was done what was the reason it was done

Attached: 1575867543325.jpg (960x960, 77.99K)

*Dual wield-able weapons.

And eyes, and finger appendages, and needs to breath via face and so on

I doubt it was intentional, but if you watch it in motion at the original res, the artifacts almost make it look like it's raining in the scene.

youtu.be/u52ySLTgfhU?t=2696

desu, I feel like the muted color and hint of rain fits the tone of the scene perfectly. But it's clear to me that they looked at the gearbox version when producing the new look.

bungie grunts literally speak english

What the fuck did they do to Captain Keyes? Seeing his "Remastered" face in CEA made me turn off that style forever

Attached: jacob-keyes-thumbnail-708x398-b755b22f42b64ff7b09ccf06a14de1da.jpg (708x398, 70.78K)

>he didn't play halo CE

they also put their shitty versions of the odst and mk5 armor behind a paywall.spartan ops didnt have those so everytime you died your spartan wouldnt wear the armor that you spent money for.idk if it was ever fixed

because muh artistic freedom

Uh yeah that's what they're known for. Then the next two games everyone spoke english and then reach happened where grunts didn't speak english and also had a menacingly deep voice.

Thank god you can switch it to the old graphics. I would switch batch to the new ones every once in awhile during the campaign and they were always gross and totally different feeling

>Halo drought
>Company has the worst PR that isn't ActiBlizzard or EA
>actually thinks this was just an honest job to appease fans on PC

Because a hack design team would immediately think "make everything look more complicated", much the same as how a hack writing team would think "we need to explore the emotions of the blank slate self-insert super soldier"

Attached: 343takesover.jpg (1280x720, 144.98K)

>Halo 2 shotty
Mmmmm

Honestly the 343i Shotgun is just fucking disgusting. What on Earth were they thinking? It’s just a chunk of metal.

Prometheans are so boring

Who are you quoting?
All I see is an image of a Hollywood redesign

muh greebling

>make everything look more complicated
Doesn't explain why the assault rifle has looked like shit from day one, and remains to this date a crap design

>Who are you quoting?
The collective of idiots who vehemently claim the whole Sanic redesign thing was a marketing stunt and was planned when that makes not an iota of sense and is beyond retarded

I don't see them in this thread though
Perhaps you meant to post in another thread?

There's a very basic design rule that Bungie followed. Everything from the danger level of enemies to what weapon you're holding is clear just from the silhouette. Silhouettes for 343 designs are a complete mess and they don't know what the fuck they're doing.

Nah the AR looks great, I just wish it was any good

Right looks cooler

It seems to me like writing creatively is as much about starting out with a good concept and plan as it is the actual craft. I taught a class a while back where students had to make research proposals, and basically everyone who crashed and burned or needed lots of help had bad ideas for their plans initially. Just funny to see that creative writing is exactly the same. Even though there may be something cool there in exploring Chief's mind you're basically setting yourself up to fail due to how incredibly difficult a task it is to make him not a bland murderbot. Halo 5 had the right idea making some new characters but they really dropped the ball by trying to make "New Master Chief but handsome and black" instead of giving him some actual character.

there is a part of the fanbase that were to young to know what halo feels like so they are hung up on what halo looks like. just like politics, sometimes you have to appeal to the idiots to win the favor of the masses.

All these stupid comments are why long running franchises are absolute cancer. Fans are disgusting and will moan about every little change from their autistic memories while completely missing what is important.

>dude we need to make our mark!
>dude we need to improve it!
>dude we need to make it look cooler!
>dude its just not FUTURISTIC enough!
>dude we know better!

>Wetwork
>Pioneer
how are human eyes supposed to look through these visors

Modern Halo feels like total shit too. The community is cancer, the fans are cancer, the developers are all cancer now.

They should have sunset the Halo property after Reach.

No, fuck off

>they even fucked up the Pelican

Attached: 1200px-H4-PelicanGunship.png (1200x635, 685.07K)

isnt it a lot smaller too? the og pelican is fucking massive.

Both look fine tho honestly.
I mean the 343 games are meh but I still think the armors fucking fine

Changes to the lore made Keyes much younger than he was supposed to be in the original CE so Reach's version of him appeared younger and 343 just sloppily added his new appearance into CE (yet made all the Marines Reach army instead of importing the actual Marine models from Reach)

>If we add more stuff to the gun itself it will look cooler!
>yeah but we don't have an example
>What's that over there?
>ah, yeah, Gears of War will work, bring it over bro..

What should be important to fans is whether its good or not, not whining about it being shit because its not the same. 343 did fine in the art department, they fucked up the gameplay because they had no ideas and decided to chase fps trends. People here sound bitter that they even tried to make halo their own thing when its fucking impossible to make anything worthwhile if they don't, halo is shit because the people making the games are slaves to what bungie did decades ago, and they are slaves to it because of you.