You can pick 1 (one). well, what would it be ?

you can pick 1 (one). well, what would it be ?

Attached: Story structure.png (1920x1088, 174.85K)

make it a story about inevitability of deth

3. my thought process is basically i don't have a problem with a singular ending if i can at least roleplay my character and their decisions plausibly. i want my character's decisions to make sense.

the other two just don't offer enough choices. 1 offers a lot of consequences. 2 is a meme, i have too many games to play so i rarely ever replay games, it looks too front loaded. i think 3 offers the best compromise.

3 is one I'd like to see more often. 1 tends to end up with the main cast or main cast ending up feeling isolated and not well integrated because each has their own story that doesn't really overlap. 2 is the same and arguably worse, sure characters are grouped more but you end up with this lack of interaction between the groups.

All three of them at once.

witcher 3 is the one on the left
middle one was never done before in any game ever because it would be too expensive and basically they'd need to make multiple story-lines for a single game
the one on the right is the games that always say "your choices matter", as you can see, they dont...

4, a single strait line.

2, although it's the worst if you want to experience all endings, unless you really fucking love the game and don't mind replaying it multiple times

The middle is basically Three Houses m8

Just fuck me up, senpai.

Attached: f.png (1290x614, 51.83K)

2 is the only "choice matters" structure.
3 is an illusion.

>wanting meaningless decisions that don't change anything instead of a single well-crafted storyline
choice-fags are the worst

>middle one was never done before in any game ever because it would be too expensive and basically they'd need to make multiple story-lines for a single game

Tactics Ogre did it.

Attached: 220px-Tactics_ogre_cover.jpg (220x311, 23.59K)

I use my advanced iq to determine that 1 and 2 are the same, just viewed at different angles.
My big brain allows me to unlock all of the 21 endings.

Attached: tumblr_ny5q847zsq1u8drgyo1_1280.jfif.jpg (1280x720, 210.73K)

2 without question.

Combination of all 3

for me, it's the fully connected layered directed graph.

Attached: 1553976440855.png (487x248, 84.37K)

I only play JRPGs

Attached: 1583710329999.png (638x938, 12.32K)

3, It get's you more engaged with the events of the story, and makes you feel like you have more change and influence over it

How many years would it take to make such a game?

2, but each end has to have multiple branches.

Then why did you post Mass Effect's graph?

no. 1 is everyone has basically the same story up until the ending where you make a major decision and you end up with loads of different endings. push button to see different ending
2 is people experience completely different stories based on a decision early on
completely different

lol

Attached: 1568295139700.png (1431x811, 2M)

Shadow the Hedgehog was made in like 2012 or something.

>same ending no matter what
into the trash it goes

Attached: file.png (575x250, 107.17K)

3 for level design
(3 - the last teir) for story design, branching and reuniting with multiple separate endings.

a straight line
fuck you

>Which ending would you like
>Which story would you like
>How do you want this story to go
Seems pretty clear which is best.

something like this

Attached: School_days_unprofessional_route_map_1.png (4850x1528, 765.57K)

I appreciate your level-headed response(which is unironically rare in 2011+9), but I regret to inform you that your verbal and spatial iq is not as high as mine.

Didn't Shadow The Hedgehog have this structure?

Is there game with multiple ending dependent on rng?

Attached: 1583177400115.jpg (600x600, 52.59K)

Do these start at the top or bottom?

Not sure if this counts, but grand strategy games. They're sandboxes so there's no "story" per se, but the events of history can unfold in wildly different ways

Do you read a book from the bottom up?

Something like Civ, Mount & Blade, or Grand Strategy games. But they don't really have a traditional story per se.

i pick the unlisted full binary tree, exponential complexity

Mass Effect 3 would have multiple colored ball at the end.

Attached: how endings should work.png (2100x1500, 227.64K)

Megaman X5

Go read a book, faggot

making the lines longer doesnt add complexity thats just autism

At last I truly see

Give me Detroit's structure in an actual game.

Witcher 2 begs to differ.

I like it when it's the same story but from different perspectives

Attached: 1573394587450.png (928x523, 1.08M)

3, i like having one canon ending but optional shit along the way.

Left: Witcher 3
Middle: Witcher 2
Right: Witcher 1
Prove me wrong.
you can't

The worst part about niet tomato.

Fucking based

>Shadow
But Shadow the Hedgehog is a classic case of 3.
You did finish it, right? It has ONE ending.

This game was so god damn good. I wasted so much downtime at my old job playing it on my PSP. Almost 2k hours logged on the save game.
The reason the picture is like that is because the battle locations are similar and the end boss doesnt change. But the dialogue, alliances, party members, and whose still alive are completely different depending on if you took the top or bottom path. But i guess the endings would be similar if you played new game plus and went back and time and saved everyone

Seiken Densetsu 3 is a combination of 1 and 2. Which is getting a remake soon. But depending on your character choice in the beginning the winning faction and end bosses are different.

Attached: Deneb.gif (400x400, 65.88K)

This one

Attached: Full_FlowChart_with_trophies.png (1500x3245, 1.79M)

I'm autistic and don't want to have to replay the same parts multiple times in order to experience all the content(looking at you, Devil Survivor)

>1. Entirely linear game, followed by "click one of these buttons to choose your ending cutscene".
>2. Three separate paths. Having second thoughts? Delete your save, bitch.
>3. Multiple branching paths and options throughout the game, but none of the choices matter because it ends the same no matter what.
All these choices suck.

Shadow the Hedgehog wasn't fully connected, just basic good/bad branching. And then Last Story was linear shit.

Attached: 1000px-Shadow_StoryModeRouteMapEdit.svg.png (1000x476, 91.73K)

>witcher 2 has multi endings
>witcher 3 starts from a single point
you proved yourself wrong

>But the dialogue, alliances, party members, and whose still alive are completely different
We're talking story structure here, which by the second half on the 3rd chapter is completely identical in all 3 paths.

I think you undersell how much the routes share

So FF13

sorry bro but thats just a straight line actually

The true galaxy brain move is to not have any story paths at all.

You make a completely open ended RPG with different activities in the world for the player to do. Then after you perform a certain amount of activities, or enough time has passed, different types of endings get triggered.

If you only kill NPC's you get a mass murderer ending
If you only collect loot you get a hoarder ending
etc

Attached: 321321421321.jpg (400x300, 23.65K)

Go play Kenshi, my nigga.
No endings though.

doesn't matter
i'm only playing it once anyway

Attached: 1347073533058.gif (300x168, 674.54K)

3, unless the game has enough variability to warrant 2+ play throughs.

People tend to like overarching storylines in RPGs, though.

Games should be some kinda mech?

Attached: weird mech.png (2100x1500, 45.11K)

depends on what you include as part of the story. If the only thing that you consider story is how much of the nation is under your control then yes they are all the same.
But i would argue that a story where a character becomes Hitler and conquers Europe is a different story then a character uniting Europe by being Gandhi. They both control Europe so they are the same story is what it sounds like you are arguing.

2 is the superior one despite having less moments of choice, it starts early on, so your choice feel like they have long term consequences instead of 1 which is at the end where you were railroaded and now have a bunch of dumb ways to end the story and the choice feel like it matters in 2 while 3 all you do during your journey ends in the same place.

Though if i were to make it, i would go with something like this, where each route is unique and has its own moments of choices and breaking points, with some ending earlier than others, the story would feel the most organic this way since every story doesnt match the other, making them feel like they are their own real story and not the "X route"

Attached: Untitled3.png (637x960, 20.74K)

Attached: jrpg.png (637x1088, 13.61K)

New Vegas starts like 3 but becomes 2 for the second half

>Black Bull
That didn't age well.