What made it turn out so much more soulless and forgettable than the original? No one hardly seems to talk about it

What made it turn out so much more soulless and forgettable than the original? No one hardly seems to talk about it.

For me it's
>creators don't make actual enjoyable levels to play now, just gimmick and puzzle shit
>lack of updates
>the shitty dial menu in create mode

Attached: Super-Mario-Maker-2[1].jpg (768x768, 77.67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/BoxWave-AccuPoint-Switch-Active-Metallic/dp/B07B3KZJRL/ref=sxin_4_ac_d_pm?ac_md=3-2-QWJvdmUgJDI1-ac_d_pm&cv_ct_cx=nintendo switch stylus&keywords=nintendo switch stylus&pd_rd_i=B07B3KZJRL&pd_rd_r=f1527d8b-e33e-412b-a863-72db01dc2bd5&pd_rd_w=LoJjC&pd_rd_wg=a9VJZ&pf_rd_p=516e6e17-ed95-417b-b7a4-ad2c7b9cbae3&pf_rd_r=WG0YJBRVV7NFB7R7CC2W&psc=1&qid=1583681999
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's $40. Worth it?

Let me work it, i put my thang down flip it and reverse it

>already getting discounted everywhere
It really did fail...

Mya Na Flippa Nibba Fla Bya Fwanuh

$20 a year to play user created levels.

It requires an online subscription to even play single player.

Multiplayer for a game like this wasn't a good focus when the whole philosophy of switch games is to make something that can never be topped. Should have focused on player created maps.
>He isn't getting it for free
100% not parasite pilled.

Can anyone post any good levels? Tired of playing garbage auto scrolling music levels or dude grab the item that we intentionally stop you from getting until the end.

This. A fucking Jewish scam. Even Dreams on PS4 lets you play and share worlds online without PS+, it just doesn't let you play multiplayer

>all of those costumes are gone, and there's zero amiibo compatibility
>can't shake things anymore to change properties, instead you have to press down on a thing for a full second and pick the properties you want from a menu
>can't create customized toolbars, instead have to deal with a shitty ring layouts that are annoying to navigate
>switch doesn't have a stylus, and uses a shitty touch screen that requires a soft touch, so you have to buy your own stylus that works with that type of touch screen, and even then it still doesn't feel right

Literally every other console lets you share UGC without paying extra.

Even though it's technically optional, the online multiplayer is so horrendously broken it literally soured the entire game for me. I would have preferred they just not include it at all honestly. Plus I can't really put my finger on what it is or why, but it just lacks some of the charm of the original. Maybe it just doesn't feel as fresh being a sequel and whatnot.

I don't have any problem with the create mode UI, but
>game doesn't come with a stylus
Fuck Nintendo for this. Switch game cases have so much empty space in them they could have easily fit one in there. They're not expensive to make either; the 3DS and Wii U's styluses were made of fucking plastic.

Attached: 1562020062521.jpg (1177x1554, 167.55K)

I get pretty good levels from normal endless. Easy and Expert seem like garbage dumps. My levels are statistically pretty good but my switch is on the other side of the room and I don't know the codes by heart.

>the Wii U and 3DS styluses were made out of plastic!
What's your fucking point? Plastic is cheap? What a unique perspective I wouldn't have considered otherwise.

>Not being in a family plan with friends

Attached: 1583033420952.jpg (266x285, 21.05K)

I don't know if everyone had this problem but for me personally, it just made me want a new 2D Mario with real level design instead of shitty user made levels. I felt the same way with Mega Man Maker on PC. These user made games just make me want the real thing from professionals.

>Plus I can't really put my finger on what it is or why, but it just lacks some of the charm of the original
The original felt tailor made for the Wii U. Designed on the big tablet was easy and the game almost had a sense of mystery and wonder in it that made it stand out from other level creators in other games with things like feeding a mushroom to an enemy to turn them big instead of just making it a toggle. 2's level designing is clunky and feels by the book.

Story mode was pretty good though.

I stopped paying for the NSO Scam and now the game has been reduced to a bad level editor for myself.
In my opinion, the biggest problem with Mario Maker 2 is the limitations imposed by Nintendo (which includes limited game access for those who do not pay for a bad service).
10 screens per sub area is too little for the modern level design philosophy (adopted by Nintendo itself in the New Mario Bros series). It is almost impossible to make a traditional level that flows well and have a decent size. For this it is necessary to divide the level in two sub areas, which will force you to use at least two pipe transitions, which ruin the flow.
Seeing the way Media Molecule treats its creative games makes me wonder how good Mario Maker 2 would be in the hands of another producer instead of Nintendo.
We could probably be doing things comparable to rom hacks...

Why was this game forgotten on the youtube scene, mario maker 1 was huge when it realeased but this game had no impact

>only one content update after almost a fucking year (SMM1 had at least three major content updates within its first 9 months, and just to show this isn't an inherent Switch thing, Smash Ultimate had its fifth goddamn major content update in that same timespan)
>game is near useless without an online subscription since the quality of the pre-made levels drops off hard after the first 2 dozen levels or so (you could say something similar of Splatoon 2 but at the very least that online existed for a healthy while before the plan became paid)
SMM2 is easily Nintendo's shittiest major release for the Switch. It's underfeatured, undersupported, and is a remarkable demonstration of how despicable Nintendo's Switch Online and their netcoding truly is.

The objective and red coin levels are garbage.

Nah, there are several creators capable of creating things with professional quality, the problem is that Mario Maker 2 has no tool to value the way that good creators present their levels.
MM2 only needed to allow players to create their own World Maps and offer complete packages as if they were new games.

The novelty wore off.

I don't know how to describe it but it feels very soulless. Definitely missing the charm of the original

On/off switches and snake block levels are absolute dregs.
Honestly there wasn't enough new content to make this feel like a new game. It's basically an update that removed a lot of stuff and made a lot of stuff worse in exchange for things which aren't particularly useful or well implemented.

>>creators don't make actual enjoyable levels to play now, just gimmick and puzzle shit
the problem is that the players themselves love the gimmick levels
i created like 30 levels before making my first auto level and that instantly became my most popular one

I think Mario Maker was a one time thing. I don't think it's really as interesting as people make it out to be. It was cool on Wii U with a tablet controller and it's fun and interesting for a while, but nothing long lasting. Ultimately I hope they don't try to push more "maker" games.

>all this doom and gloom
what? I still play the game every day. lots of cool levels are made constantly. lots of mario maker streamers play both on youtube and twitch. we got an update (admittedly a bit late) with more coming in the future. What more do you want?

>more coming in the future
Proof? Also post levels

Why are you seething at that?

Nintendo somehow has fucked up this series in the short span of 2 games

Attached: Super-Mario-Maker-for-3DS[1].jpg (768x768, 102.18K)

i bought it for 50 burger dollars and played it for a month and traded it for 42 burger dollars towards animal crossing. it served its purpose for me

Absolutely. I sunk over 600 hours into it.

Has a ton more soul than the first one. Played the first for prob 20 hours only. You're just being Yas Forumsontrarian

>buzzword bizzword
Just shut the fuck up and pretend to be hype for a fucking ps5 logo.

>the problem is that the players themselves love the gimmick levels
But Mario Maker 2 is basically a gimmick level editor. First because you have extremely limited resources so you need to focus on something simple and small. Secon, because all levels must have an end in themselves, since they cannot be part of a larger set, or an entire game.
The way the game works stimulates the production of gimmick levels. It is as if everyone is creating "secret levels" instead of what you would normally find in a traditional Mario game.

This reoved nothing but shitty 200 variants of yoshi amiibos.

>game doesn't come with a stylus
It does though, at least at first it did. I got mine with a yellow mm2-themed stylus.

not true, a lot of the gimmick levels come from either the fact that people aren't creative enough to make normal levels that are fun, or people make gimmick levels because that's what most people want to play
mario maker got a lot of hype from lets players playing weird or extremely hard levels

No world map/full game creation
this is THE reason romhacks and SMBX will continue to stick around

Why the fuck did they remove the amino costumes? They were fun little additions and actually incentivized creators to make entertaining levels around the characters

This. It didn't even have to have custom scripting and what-not, just make it possible to string levels into worlds. I would've done without a map, even, just make it the same as Mario Challenge but have specific levels in sequential order and that's it. Shouldn't be hard at all.

Rom hacking will always be superior

Attached: banner.png (512x180, 52.48K)

>SMBX
Didn't it die like 10 years ago?

I don't think they ever said but I always speculated it's due to multiplayer. They'd want each character distinctly stand out with different colors like Link eventually did when he was added and I think they'd want that for every costume if they were to do that but that's just a guess to me. I'm more bothered the Weird Mushroom was taken out and the cute details with the Big Mushroom like the CRT screen and enemies with different looks were removed.

Game failed because of 3 things.
1. Lack of new additions. Yes we have slopes. But only one new play style that is gated from the others is not really much.
2. No Amiibo costumes. The mii outfits are shit. Amiibo character costumes were a great way to track progress and actually gave players new tools to use when creating levels.
3. Multiplayer. God fuck that shit. Shows why a competitive mario game is shit. everyone bum rushes the flag and just waits till the timer runs out because they do not want to finish the challenge. Nintendo fucked it up.

Game just felt less then the last one. That and no real additions post launch.

basically this, all the added mechanics are good (in spite of the fact that people tend to overuse new stuff and make samey levels) but I was so frustrated by getting excited for online play and then experiencing the awful reality that it just soured me on the whole thing

Attached: lagiacrus.png (800x571, 356.79K)

Not really
Redigit (iirc that's the dev's name) called it quits but wohlsoft RE'd the game and put out PGE which is open source and significantly better

It was an online pre-order bonus where I'm from, but I couldn't actually get it because Nintendo's online shop doesn't cater for my country for some stupid reason.

>the 3DS and Wii U's styluses were made of fucking plastic
The Switch has a capacitive screen, you can't just use plastic. That said Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training came with one and that was only $30.

Because you have to pay to go online to play other people's levels

The EU special edition had a stylus pre-order bonus, and while it's better than your finger, it's still a pretty barebones stylus.

amazon.com/BoxWave-AccuPoint-Switch-Active-Metallic/dp/B07B3KZJRL/ref=sxin_4_ac_d_pm?ac_md=3-2-QWJvdmUgJDI1-ac_d_pm&cv_ct_cx=nintendo switch stylus&keywords=nintendo switch stylus&pd_rd_i=B07B3KZJRL&pd_rd_r=f1527d8b-e33e-412b-a863-72db01dc2bd5&pd_rd_w=LoJjC&pd_rd_wg=a9VJZ&pf_rd_p=516e6e17-ed95-417b-b7a4-ad2c7b9cbae3&pf_rd_r=WG0YJBRVV7NFB7R7CC2W&psc=1&qid=1583681999
I got this and it's been worth every penny having that much more precise tip

I completely forgot about that weird mushroom. That was the thing about the original, it wasn't just a level creator it felt like it had a ton of mystery behind it.

Attached: skinnymario-800x400[1].jpg (800x400, 15.11K)

Whatever fags, post your levels

>Dangerous boat ride: 0WC-L4P-0KG
Ride a boat made of sideways springs in the swamp infested by Munchers.

>ZelDungeon: J10-Y01-HBG
A Link-themed dungeon with minimap.

>Drybone's Ice Cavern: C7B-VCX-SDG
>Power Hours: Big guys: 9NW-3PK-XYG
>Power Hour: Purple Pipes: K6L-TBL-HFF
Speedruns made in a few hours each.

>Hot potato tournament: 93X-DC4-5YG
Multiplayer level.

>Use your head! 32H-3LY-81H
Move items between tracks by bouncing them on your head.

Sounds amazing, I'm gonna check it out. Hope it got some unconventonal user made content. Thanks user.

imagine super mario 3d maker

>gets a single update since it's come out
>it's just the ability to play the NES Link sprite which was already in the original

Attached: bowsette big.jpg (1280x834, 166.67K)

Traditional levels need to be larger than the 10-screen limit to work properly. If you exclude the secret levels of Super Mario World, almost 75% of them would not fit in the area we have to work on Mario Maker 2.
In the case of New Mario Bros for the Nintendo DS, almost 90% of the levels need more than 10 screens in one of the sub areas.
If you try to reproduce a traditional level in Super Mario Maker 2, without a high difficulty that forces the player to repeat some part several times, the impression you give the player is that the level is over before it even starts.
In fact, pic related shows a New Mario Bros WiiU level and the Super Mario Maker 2 area. Note that the SMM2 area ends before the level starts to get challenging.

Attached: smm2.png (1920x411, 166.6K)

I watched a dude on YouTube play super expert levels since I don't have a Switch.
Over time, the quality of levels went from clever or challenging to just meme puzzle gotcha type shit.

Does it keep high scores or best times?

>>creators don't make actual enjoyable levels to play now, just gimmick and puzzle shit
The original Mario Maker was full of gimmick shit as well. At least you can actually use filters to narrow down the list in this game

Attached: Pepe stare.jpg (660x574, 30.86K)

>normal endless
The patrician way to play levels

You know Link actually has his own unique moves now right? You're not retarded, are you user?

It wasn't though. The original just had skins that were off once you're hit.
This is an actual permanent character with their own abiltiies and gameplay mechanics.