Already forgotten

>already forgotten
What went wrong?

Attached: Weathering_with_You_Poster.jpg (266x374, 172.52K)

He rushed out a half baked movie trying to ride off Your Name's success.

>2nd highest-grossing anime film of last decade, only after Your Name
I'd say we're doing pretty good, thank you.

It was a critical and commercial success. But personally I'd have preferred if it was *actually* that different from Your name, instead of screaming *TOTALLY DIFFERENT* whilst hitting much of the same beats.

no bluray rips with EN subs yet

It didn't have pantyshots

It was pretty big in Japan, but overseas it didn't make a splash like Your Name. Maybe because it feels a bit too similar.

It was thematically weak and lacking in a strong visual direction like Your Name.

Attached: DSnrO17UQAUuRB1.jpg (1200x675, 156.61K)

>we
Oof

>A big part of the film is putting yourself before society which has less impact on a Western audience which is nore individualistcthat collectivist East Asian countries such as Japan
>It dabbles with a lot of topics such as parental abuse, teen prostitution, gun violence, and organized crime for the first twenty to thirty minutes but completely drops everything besides the gun which makes it all feel like shallow lip service to serious issues
>People being sad about rain isn't a compelling narrative problem for the cast to be fixing and the film does a bad job establishing the higher stakes of "If this keeps up Tokyo will be destroyed" to make the choice over sacrifice interesting
>The main girl is a weak character and it makes it hard to sctually get invested in the final act which hinges on you caring about her fate
>The consequences to the cast for their actions are negated with minimal fanfare. Main boy threatens to shoot cops after escaping custody and gets sent back home to go to school, dude assaults an officer but never does time and gets custody of his daughter, girl anx her brother aren't seperated by child services because ??? and are seemingly fine after losing their home in Tokyo
>Also the boy not wanting to go home and the loose implications of an abusive childhood based on his injuries/running away/his fear of it all have zero payoff and aren't exained in the film

It does some shit really well but I thought the writing was overall messy as fuck and failed to pull me into it.

We Shinkaichads.

I still haven't seen it

>we

Attached: laughingidols.jpg (400x400, 135.6K)

>the film does a bad job establishing the higher stakes of "If this keeps up Tokyo will be destroyed" to make the choice over sacrifice interesting
This one really got me. The film does a terrible job conveying the sungirl prophecy stuff doesn't just mean Tokyo will have shitty weather in Summer going forward.

I wonder if it's different fir a nip audience? Is flooding a serious risk there in reality that threatens to wreck the city?

Yes

It made more in the states than Your Name

[need citation]

>What went wrong?
We didn't nuke china

The reality is that Japan is sacrificing its youth to maintain its society, it's like a conflict between the boomer and Gen Z. Shinkai has only sent a message that they can destroy society and still survive.

This is not an environmental film, it's a film about the disparity between adults and youth.

LOL

>It was thematically weak
Climate change, sacrifice, family
>lacking in a strong visual direction like Your Name
Absolutely false. Watch it again when the BDs are released.
>Individualism
Not as relevant for Americans as it is for Japs, but a lot easier to understand for burgers than something fundamentally Japanese like musubi and the string of fate. Americans cannot understand those themes and completely missed them in Your Name, despite liking the movie so much. Burgers were in it only for the romance, not for the themes.
>various topics
These all add to the setting of an immoral Tokyo, which you have to consider when Tokyo is under threat of being sunk.
>rain low stakes
This is completely lost on Americans. Japs have lived with the environment for centuries, instead of living on the environment like burgers. It's about nature reclaiming what it once had, rather than about flooding specifically.
>no consequences
Chadaka gets 3 years house arrest and is only allowed to go to school and back. Consequences were handled worse in Your Name where the climax of Mitsuha's relationship with her father was resolved entirely offscreen. That would have been the moment that showed the culmination of her character growth throughout the story, and it was absent. That's a lot more significant than you not paying attention.
>backstory
Not the point of the movie. It would distract and dilute it far too much. There was enough dilution with Suga and with Hina's shota, but that was warranted because they added to the movie.

It means that environmentalists who maintain the vested interests of the elderly should die.
Shinkai wants to make life easier by building more nuclear and coal power plants, and kill the poor old people with environmental changes.
And after that, he says he's probably going to be okay because he can probably live.

based

Shinkai has no interest in actual fame. He just wanted to make the movie he wanted to make and it wasn't as successful as the last one. Big fucking deal. this happens to literally every single director.

he's right though
a major (THE major) plot point was literally rejecting customs that started so long ago nobody really remembers everything about them, choosing to be "selfish" and accepting the consequences of doing so, which is a significant upheaval of the norm

the only real issue I had with the movie was how pointlessly over-dramatized the entire gun plotline was
maybe freaking the fuck out over common firearms is something that resonates with the jap audience though

I thought the deliberate artstyle shift was delightful

No, even in Japan, the major criticism was that the handguns didn't fit the narrative. It's too abrupt, too funny.

literal copy-paste work like Sentai shows

It basically followed too much on his usual tropey Boy Meets Girl and supernatural shit even since Garden of Words. It did not help that his film was basically inferior to the movies showing up on theatres, whether it be Trigger's Promare, Children of the Sea, hell even other films like Klaus and I Lost My Body beat it to kingdom come. The final nail in the coffin was it being sandwiched between the success of both Parasite for Korea and Joker for US (embarassingly, Shitkai said he wanted to his make his plot to tackle a controversial topic ala Joker, but as you can see his pretentiousness failed on that as Joker was way more successful than this turd)

So yeah, worst film of 2019. Can't change my mind

Attached: D8mVGn5UYAAoVn6.jpg (565x1000, 79.78K)

>Climate Change, Sacrifice, Family
There are a ton of movies that show such themes much better. Parasite followed the family theme to a T while Climate Change can be just watching environmental films like Planet Earth II
>Absolutely false. Watch it again when the BDs are released.
Rewatching it will not change the flaws the film has. It has tried riding to Your Name's success and it failed. Especially when films like Maquia and Children of the Sea surpassed it in general.
>Not as relevant for Americans as it is for Japs, but a lot easier to understand for burgers than something fundamentally Japanese like musubi and the string of fate. Americans cannot understand those themes and completely missed them in Your Name, despite liking the movie so much. Burgers were in it only for the romance, not for the themes.
Again tons of films portray this in a better light than this film, infact, every single theme this film failed to portray.
>This is completely lost on Americans. Japs have lived with the environment for centuries, instead of living on the environment like burgers. It's about nature reclaiming what it once had, rather than about flooding specifically.
Just stop using burgers on your refutements. It makes your statement look more comedic than convincing.

>Parasite followed the family theme to a T
Yeah, and how fucking awful they all were.
Parasyte wasn't about family, it was about class.