Can anime be divided into eras? Around when did modern anime start?

Can anime be divided into eras? Around when did modern anime start?

Pic possibly related. Might be the end of the last era or the start of the current one.

Attached: 1508682_Latvian_ShowThumbnail_e28eedb0-d375-ea11-82a8-dd291e252010.jpg (3456x3456, 3.11M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There's definitely a post-Eva era, when Otaku culture started expanding and the number of yearly series began shooting up. There was also that point in the mid-00s when light novels started replacing visual novels as a major source of adaptions (Haruhi definitely contributed to that, but you could see signs of it starting before).

Depending on how you define "modern", you could go back to Astro Boy.

just divide them by decades.

1917-1963 formative era
1963-1979 early TV era
1979-1998 analog TV era
1998-present digital era
Inernet/China era coming up

we are in the corona era

>pre eva
Primarily for sci fi nerds, and children cartoons, with the occasional work that tried to break the mold, or bring the medium to different audiences

>post eva
Full blown Otaku culture. Some of the old sci fi nerds get on the train, others become /m/ fags left to complain about the good ol days.

>haruhi
Anime is now full mainstream, and you can be seriously into it without the stigma.

>~2013
the zoomzoom streamer era.

pre-70s
>why bother?
70s
>autism
80s
>prime aesthetic
90s
>prime innovation
early 2000s
>the swan song of cel
late 2000s to today
>age of decline

I mean, change tends to be more continuous than discrete, but you can kinda slice it by decade.

I don't know how anime's coming along, but Western cartoons have been slowly switching over from television to internet for the past decade. Right now I think it's hit the point where more than half of the new series produced are for streaming platforms. There was also an incident involving Trolls 2 where they had to release it online because of the virus, and they were amazed that it made so much money. So theatrical animation skipping theaters and going directly online is on the table now, too.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before anime follows suit.

Do you suppose manga and anime have their own Golden Age/Silver Age/etc the way Western comics does?

Attached: haruhi-character.jpg (1680x1050, 164.03K)

Doing what academics call a "literature review", I think I've identified a few rough, partially overlapping "blocks", so to speak.

First major era for TV anime begins with the debut of Astro Boy on Jan 1, 1963. This was an era of a lot of children's shows and some experimentation.

Then with the airing of Space Battleship Yamato in 1974, you enter the mecha era. This is when the otaku community first developed (originally somewhat of a branch of the sci-fi fandom). The home video market developed. This is also when many major studios got started.

The airing of NausicaƤ began a sort of transitional stage. Then the death of Osamu Tezuka in 1989 closed out the era somewhat definitively. Then we have a sort of interregnum. Gainax was a rising star, but wasn't really the industry leader yet. Miyazaki rose to fame, Sailor Moon aired, and many others.

Eva and the GiTS movie, along with a few other things, really inaugurated the brief but bright era of cyberpunk anime, which also drew on the mecha genre (see what I mean about smooth transitions?).

The new millenium caused cyberpunk anime to fade from view, though not before strongly influencing The Matrix. Shonen series, especially the universally known ones (Naruto, One Piece) begin here. Hayao Miyazaki also makes an even bigger name for himself with Spirited Away, giving the medium major artistic credibility.

>Eva and the GiTS movie, along with a few other things, really inaugurated the brief but bright era of cyberpunk anime
GiTS and Lain*, Eva is just angsty teen melodrama with a sci-fi paint

Pre-Gundam (pre-1979)
Post-Gundam/Pre-Evangelion (1980 - 1995)
Post-Evangelion (1996 - 2005)
Peak Anime/Pre-SAO (2006 - 2012)
Post-SAO (2013 - 2019)
Corona-Chan (2020 - ?)

Attached: 1585770820450.jpg (686x526, 74.87K)

(cont.)

Haruhi Suzumiya I think really began the era of the supernatural battle harem genre, even though the series itself really, really isn't one. I think what happened is it popularized the idea of turning light novels into anime, and this tore up enough metaphorical pavement to get that genre going in earnest.

Yet Gainax's reign was far from over. This would be time of some of its highest achievements.

However, like a stellar nova, after TTGL and P&S, the studio started to implode. Their last major production would be Medaka Box in 2012. Shaft's Madoka Magica was in some ways a new chapter, especially for the magical girl genre, but in other ways was a bit of a retracement of the more mature, more introspective aspects of the earlier cyberpunk/late night anime era.

Attached: 28A3B558-4D5F-4F0D-90BA-B285FDB0EE17.png (981x720, 537.96K)

Literally impossible since you can't define a cut-off point
There's only abstract bullshit like "transitions" and "turning points" and "movements" like in any other medium
It would only make sense if something retarded happened like if every anime studio exploded at the same time or the jap government assumed direct control

Modern anime and otaku culture started in the 80s. you can that Hikki Anno for that.
youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE

Pre-Fire Punch and post-Fire Punch

So we have eras divided by
source material
technology
audience
genre

based and cringe at the same time

(cont.)

Now, I might be a bit biased since this is where I picked up anime, but I think it was both SAO and KLK that started the most recent epoch. KLK demonstrated that the Gainax was, for all intents and purposes, dead. SAO we know of course is the genesis of the isekai genre despite, again, it not itself strictly fitting the category. In fact, you can sort of see its transitional origin in the elements it picked up from the battle harem genre. Miyazaki announces his retirement in 2013, capping off most of Ghibli's influence and causing them to suspend operations a year later. Streaming services become widespread. Anime now starts becoming almost mainstream in the West, at least among the youth.

Attached: 8E22C3C4-19FD-47F3-A920-D417183DF4EC.jpg (2230x1546, 2.06M)

I mean, really the answer is "all of the above". Technology affects which audiences can be reached, and that in turn affects the repositories of source material, and that, combined with the experimentation process and the public zeitgeist determines what genres are popular.

Really think you should have stopped in the early 2000s if this putrid drivel is all you have to say about the last two decades. Imagine thinking Gainax was anywhere as relatively relevant to the industry as a whole in the late 2000s and early 2010s as in the 80s and 90s. Imagine thinking the 2010s are defined by some throwback to the introspective themes of the late 90s and early 2000s because of fucking Madoka instead of the rise (or re-iteration of the trend in the early 2000s) of cheap low-effort LN (new) and manga adaptations. Imagine still talking about fucking Miyazaki in a footnote as somehow defining of the 2010s instead of Shinkai for the theatrical format.

When did the anime industry pass from, i dont know, 10-20 animes per season or even per year to 100-200?

You can't deny Eva's influence, though.

ok pseud

Could we say Nanoha was a late byproduct of the Sci-fi boom of Eva fused with the later rise of Moe in the late 90s (Card Captor Sakura, Precure, Corrector Yui, Nadja etc)?

Attached: NanoLegacy.jpg (2000x2845, 1.01M)

ok gainax tard. still thinking gainax saved anime in the 2010s, how embarassing.

>Haruhi Suzumiya I think really began the era of the supernatural battle harem genre
Come the fuck on there is a single "battle" on it. I hate when retards like you try to over-categorize everything to make it simpler for you.

I gave a summary because, as I said earlier, I don't think anime cleaves into eras easily. It's more like there's a bunch of different threads that move sorta in sync, sort of not.

Nanoha was a fusion of the magical girl and mecha genres. The only imitator I really know of from it is Symphogear, but it's also likely that it influenced Madoka by showing that you could, in fact, get the 1AM audience interested in a magical girl show.

Attached: 726E1A07-06F7-4BED-AC26-316AA747A5DA.jpg (640x400, 55.08K)

>china
I dunno if you've ever read or seen any chinkshit but outside of British educated HK people chang can't write well. Mainland works get gangbanged by censors to remove anything interesting/of artistic merit on top of sub-nip tier writing abilities and no animation skill

Big reason for Madoka's success was it's prime time slot

I'd say the era of anime REALLY picking up in the west was from 2006 to 2013. It was the last time classics could exist and genuine merit based word of mouth could being people in.

>Original big 3 are all on air at this point
>FSN gets its first adaptation
>Haruhi airs and explodes
>Zero no Tsukaima airs and bring in more people than most give it credit for
>Death Note and Code Geass explode harder than Haruhi did
>Naruto enters it's second adaptation
>TTGL airs and explodes
>Darker than black is a huge hit
>Lucky star airs and is decorated across all corners of the internet
>Baccano is a huge hit
>School days gains massive notoriety in the same way Elfen lied did before it
>Clannad is a huge hit
>Spice and Wolf is a huge hit
>Code Geass returns to air with massive hype
>Soul eater airs and is massively popular
>Toradora is a huge hit
>Clannad After Story airs and generates the real critical acclaim the series has come to enjoy
>Index gets it's first season
>Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood airs and exposes
>K-On! Airs and explodes
>Bakemonogatari airs and explodes
>Spice and wolf gets its second season
>Fairy Tale is massively popular
>Durarara is massively popular
>Angel Beats explodes
>Haruhi movie blows people's fucking minds
>HOTD airs and is massively popular
>Oreimo airs and is massively popular
>Madoka
>Steins Gate
>AnoHana
>Nichijou
>Mirai Nikki
>Hunter x Hunter
>Fate/Zero
>Another gains edgy guro notoriety
>Hyouka borea a massive amount of people to death
>Fate/zero part 2 airs
>SAO explodes onto the scene, setting the course for the rest of the decade
>Psycho-pass season is massively popular
>Kyoani continues to string people along with Chuunibyou, this is where their place at the forefront falters
>Attack on Titan airs and sees the biggest explosion since death note, and is not topped for the rest of the 2010s
>Trigger saves anime with Kill la Kill
It all goes downhill from here.

Attached: cga.jpg (1280x720, 140.31K)

And to think, now all we've got is Isekai shit. Anime as we have known it will forever be dead. :'^)

I wouldn't call Haruhi part of the contemporary anime age, the last truly big hit that followed on its (and similar shows that came before) footsteps was Monogatari, and that's also ancient by now. Once the Oregairu anime finishes, the highschool boy self insert boy genre will be officially dead.

The current trend we are still in was clearly started by SAO. While it aired in 2012, the wave of new shows that followed on its footsteps started popping up in large numbers around 2015 or 16
We have already had quite a few big hits like Konosuba, Re;zero, Shield Hero etc, and now we've clearly reached the point of decline of this era.

With China's current relevance the mobage adaptation era should've been next, but I don't think that'll be the case. The quality of mobage anime is just too low. They'll keep making them but they won't become big. Even China itself still prefers isekai over them, but with the genre getting tired and no new big hits on the horizon, future trends on anime are anyone's guess.

I don't have a problem with you doing a summary. Your points are incorrect because you keep pointing out Gainax's development throughout the 2000s and 2010s because they're an easy point to isolate despite their steadily waning influence on the industry as a whole. Theatrical productions (thanks Shinkai for the recent boom), streaming, and shitty LN/manga adaptations (like in the early 2000s) defined the 2010s. Even isekai doesn't really deserve more than a footnote on the anime side because numerically there hasn't been that many adaptations. It definitely deserves a mention if you're talking about changing LNshit trends. Shit like is a bit too specific but you can tell how little Gainax mattered in the 2000s/2010s compared to their heyday in the 80s and 90s.

Chinese mobage devs and netflix are basically the only players with money to invest in anime these days.