Waitasec how does a Brit/Dane from the 12th century know about a Japanese board game? And was shogi even invented yet?

Waitasec how does a Brit/Dane from the 12th century know about a Japanese board game? And was shogi even invented yet?

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Vinland Saga - 19 [720p].mkv_snapshot_10.13_[2020.04.29_10.23.45].jpg (1280x720, 152.2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rvvyBeKOWD0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>

The earliest predecessor of the game, chaturanga, originated in India in the 6th century. Shogi in its present form was played as early as the 16th century, while a direct ancestor without the drop rule was recorded from 1210 in a historical document Nichūreki, which is an edited copy of Shōchūreki and Kaichūreki from the late Heian period (c. 1120).
But yeah it's just an incompetent translation and a clear example of a case where you should "localize" the word being used.

I'm sure there was an equivalent game in europe back then, they just changed it to shogi so japanese viewers would understand.

Probably a mistake, Ashkelaad wouldn't have known about Chess either during 11th Century

>they just changed it to shogi so japanese viewers would understand.
Why didn't they just put the explanation in a notation on the side of the screen?

When you put it like that, this image will be good fuel for the retarded localization vs anti localization threads

I mean, yeah, they were busy pillaging and shit.

Askeladd was a pretty intelligent and worldly guy for the time. He probably was at least aware of whatever equivalent board game existed at the time.

Apparently chess was already widespread in europe during the 11th century, so, since Askeladd was a man of culture, he could very well know about it.

It was hnefatafl in the manga (an old viking board game)
Anime messing up because while it was worded with the kanji for shogi, it was meant to serve as a rough translation with hnefatafl (in the subtext) being what they actually said, I think this is somewhat common, japs like to do this for weird foreign words, don't ask why

Attached: 1576124950303.png (419x463, 156.09K)

>japs like to do this for weird foreign words, don't ask why
For the same reason anyone employs localization.

As if their writing system wasn't bad enough, then they go and do shit like this. It's like chuunibyo English readings for Kanji.

It's been over a month now. When is the first version of Still Blade going to be released? youtube.com/watch?v=rvvyBeKOWD0

this is the concentrated essence of EOP, holy shit lol

I'm kinda reminded how some ESL a while ago was asking why english has so many irregular plurals

Its usually just so they can get the gist of word over to the reader without wasting space explaining what it is. In this case, the reader immediately understands that hnefatafl is a game of strategy and doesn't need to know more.

Sometimes its just rule of cool, though.

How the fuck did Askeladd get redeemed?
Everything he did was pretty villainous.

He did literally nothing wrong and then he gave /ourboy/ the crown.

because Japan is full of dubfags who only want Japanese dubs, no subtitles allowed

>shit like this
Putting a translation note for a foreign historical term? Because that's effectively all this is.

Just because Thorfinn forgave him doesn't mean he got redeemed.

Is the manga still on-going?

I remember the manga fan TL making this hnefatafl.

What about murdering, pillaging, and raping random English villagers?

I think you mean English invaders of Roman Britain user

>shogi

Attached: images (2).jpg (739x415, 20.79K)

They slaughtered everyone for that land fair and square.

2 topics argued the most about in vinland threads.

1. the shogi anime announcement.

2. some stupid shit about Christianity which I am happy no user so far as brought up on this board.

You can't blame people for what their ancestors did.

Attached: gabi gabbed.png (121x296, 43.14K)

They decided to settle on stolen land so it's their fault too.

Any news on a second season?