Any magical girl fans on Yas Forums? What are your favorite shows? The most underrated...

Any magical girl fans on Yas Forums? What are your favorite shows? The most underrated? I've been trying to write my own but I've only really seen Cutie Honey and Sailor Moon

Attached: sailormoon_eyecatch.jpg (720x537, 136.94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9pSCW05yEVs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girls_×_Heroine!_Series
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Heartcatch Precure is the best. Got a ton of gifs from back in the day. Also just watched the first two seasons of Nanoha. The third one, StrikerS, may not be something I like but I'm slogging through it.

Attached: 1300412999828.gif (192x108, 469.21K)

why am i getting saged

oh nvm

aren't there a bunch of precure shows? what makes heartcatch the best? or is that the first one?

>What are your favorite shows?
Akazukin Chacha and Symphogear

Attached: Akazukin Chacha 447.jpg (640x480, 286.11K)

I like Saint Tail a lot. It's super cute, and seems really fun, and I love her hair.

Attached: Akazukin Chacha 330.jpg (640x480, 74.41K)

Is that a series or a character?

France says hello.

Attached: 52d98fd85217a304467105a5508804054938ee72.jpg (600x832, 219.76K)

I wanted to watch this and I was excited for it when the first anime preview came out but ended up being really ugly and boring

The series is called Kaitou Saint Tail, but I just call it Saint Tail. Saint Tail is a character in the series.

Magical Emi's loli form exudes sex more than any other anime character I can think of

I fucking love Miraculous. Last season was bonkers, but it's a slow monster of the week show like the old Sailor Moon anime because some people still care about syndication.

Attached: tumblr_08fe601487cc51ae55ca892deb15197f_dbc51723_500.jpg (500x281, 20.85K)

Sailor Moon is unironically the best.
Doesn't get any better than that.

I really hope that isn't true. But every other magical girl show I've tried to watch seemed to either be a bland rip-off of Sailor Moon, not as good as Sailor Moon, or both.

Yeah, I could see the similarity in the format and desu I only did watch one or two episodes but it just doesn't capture me. The original anime version looked really good but everything I've seen from the CG show seems like a completely different idea and series.

Fancy Lala's one of the better traditional-style mahou shoujo series but gets vastly overshadowed by Cardcaptor Sakura because they're both from the same year.

Excellent opening too.
youtube.com/watch?v=9pSCW05yEVs

Attached: Fancy Lala.jpg (500x437, 101.65K)

Cutie Honey? Go backwards and watch something that predates SM.

You have to have a very particular taste to enjoy it. You need to enjoy a grounded, realistic setting, realistic characters and a traditional, methodical style. and not much happening.
Personally, I enjoyed the episodes when I was watching them, but I had to force myself to watch every episode, because it simply didn't capture me.
You can feel that it's objectively great while you're watching it, but it's not for everyone.

>But every other magical girl show I've tried to watch seemed to either be a bland rip-off of Sailor Moon, not as good as Sailor Moon, or both.
Here's your problem.
There's two main kinds of magical girl series.
Traditional mahou shoujo and group mahou shoujo.

Group mahou shoujo (like Sailor Moon) always revolve around a group of main magical girl characters rather than focusing on one protagonist. Sailor Moon pioneered this style so that's why a lot of post-Sailor Moon (and especially modern mahou shoujo) feel like Sailor Moon clones or are at least take a lot of cues from Sailor Moon. These shows also tend to feel a lot more shonen and combat influenced, like Sailor Moon too

Try getting into traditional-style magical girl shows like Creamy Mami or Cardcaptor Sakura (magical girl shows that mostly revolve around one main magical girl). They don't have much in common with Sailor Moon and are generally much more shoujo-like. Unfortunately they aren't as common anymore.

>bland rip-off of Sailor Moon
It was highly influential so this is just something you'd have to expect.

Why do so many magical girls need to be little girls? I was trying to watch Cardcaptor Sakura and Tokyo Mew Mew but them being so little kind of weirded me out

Because they need to sell the toys to little girls? The Tokyo Mew Mew girls are in middle school too, what are you even talking about.

It's made for little girls, and they need a protagonist that the target audience can relate to
would it even be mahou shoujo if they weren't little girls

>Why do so many magical girls need to be little girls?
It's a genre for little girls.
Although it sometimes happened in the past, magical girls being older teenagers didn't really become commonplace until the 2010s.

I said that in the OP actually. Cutie Honey and Sailor Moon are the only two I've watched and really liked. Unless Kill La Kill counts. Cutie Honey, Sailor Moon, and Kill La Kill are all very similar though.

yeah I understood but its unfortunate
its like how so many shows have bland ripoffs of Shinji as an mc now

>Cutie Honey, Sailor Moon, and Kill La Kill are all very similar though.

Attached: [YES] Mewkledreamy - 01 (U-NEXT 1920x1080 AVC AAC).mkv_snapshot_04.22_[2020.04.28_14.19.27].jpg (1920x1080, 726.66K)

Precure has no competitors

sakura would be kinda weird if she was older, she's too cute
she acts like a nine year old

Creamy Mami was cool. I only stopped watching it because the episodes weren't on YouTube anymore. I like group mahou shoujo and its the kind I want to make but I can see why its so hard to pull off because you need to make interesting characters and interesting villains. There's also not as much good material to base your character's themes on, using the planets as a base was perfect.

It redefined a genre. The only ones I would consider "ripoffs" are the shows introduced shortly after Sailor Moon became a thing, and even then it's probably only really Wedding Peach.

Not the guy you're responding to but he's not entirely wrong even though they're all very different series.
Sailor Moon and KlK are both influenced by toku/battle shonen. Cutie Honey predates battle shonen but it shows its toku influences and Go Nagai established a lot of battle shonen cliches regardless. Cutie Honey exists on that same "fringe" that Kill la Kill does too.

Attached: 41.jpg (640x480, 55.03K)

>The Tokyo Mew Mew girls are in middle school too,
Yeah but they look and act more childish than the SM girls do

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girls_×_Heroine!_Series
Takara Tomy introduced one a few years ago, and the Sanrio shows are occasionally magical girl.

Attached: [YES] Mewkledreamy - 01 (U-NEXT 1920x1080 AVC AAC).mkv_snapshot_16.21_[2020.04.28_14.29.04].jpg (1920x1080, 1.01M)

>Because they need to sell the toys to little girls?
>It's made for little girls
>It's a genre for little girls.

Oh, yeah. I'm a grown ass nigga though. I have no problem with the shows about being about little girls but it weirds me out when its kind of sexualized.

>she acts like a nine year old
and she looks like one. I keep trying to get into the series because it looks cool but her looking like a nine year old and wanting to be with her brother's friend who looks 27 always turns me off and I can't get past the first episode.