Korean v Japanese movies

Why cant Japan into movies?, every movie listed in Korean bar My Sassy Girl is top tier storytelling.

The Japanese ones are garbage. Why is this? More cultural focus on animated media, or do they just not appreciate a more realistic look at storytelling or something? Majority of Korean films I've watched have been pretty gritty and unapologetic when it comes to darker themes. Always wanted to get into more Japanese ones but most that I've looked into just seem like over the top irl anime sort of stuff. Otherwise, any suggestions for where to start with Japanese films post 2000?, genuinely lost here.
Cheers boys.

Attached: evidence.png (1519x806, 1.35M)

>Google says these are the best Japanese films, that means it's true

Listen man, Japan is still like 40 years behind the world after getting nukes twice. They just need time.

They have no originality

Attached: 1582123378283-tv.jpg (1082x771, 317.13K)

>provides no examples
why even reply

but japan's best movies came out within 30 years of them getting nuked, with a lot of them being within 10-15 years
they just shifted their attention towards tv dramas and anime movies

Seven Samurai and Tokyo Story are better than anything Korea ever produced. Not sure what you think this image proves, Kim.

>they just shifted their attention towards tv dramas and anime movies
This. The Japs don't seem to be that into film and drama anymore since Kurosawa's passing. Now they resort to cheap romcoms and endless soap operas about being a salaryman. God Japan is fucking bleak.

The general critical opinion is that Japanese Cinema peaked in the early-mid 20th century and has since declined in relevancy. If you want top-shelp jap stuff go back to the masters like Mizoguchi, Kurosawa, Ozu, Oshima etc.. I think the best Japanese filmmaker of this century is Kiyoshi Kurosawa, specifically Pulse and Tokyo Sonata.

Attached: japs1.jpg (1920x1080, 534.98K)

literally better than any and all korean films, and it's not even close to being the japanese film

Attached: 18721616_so.jpg (1590x2011, 658.91K)

Attached: japs2.jpg (1920x1080, 702.25K)

Nearly every Korean movie there is made by one of two directors lol. If you think Japan sucks you just haven't seen enough movies.

Japan is pretty shit when it comes to movies but nowhere near as bad as Korea. All the famous Japanese directors are at least pretty good, Mizoguchi, Kurosawa, Ozu, Naruse, Obayashi, Terayama. Plus, for modern directors, Takeshi Miike and Shinya Tsukamoto are pretty good

*the best japanese film

Attached: japs3.jpg (1920x1080, 490.46K)

>Soul Soulless

I’m going to assume this is bait and just tell you to kys. In the unlikely event this isn’t bait, then kys immediately.

Oldboy is based on Japanese source material.

It's the secularity, on all levels, in all regards, in all different ways.
And it's the same with you too, with your shallow assessment and all

You are all missing the point. I'm literally asking for suggestions as I'd love to get into their films. The key words were post 2000's however, not the 60's.

>NOOOOO STOP MAKE FUN GRORIOUS KOREA! I UNROAD NIP FORDER ON YOU!

Attached: 1585007401867.png (709x765, 46.09K)

>post 2000
Outside of a few animated films, there's only one good film that was made in this century, and it was American

Attached: 389524_Freddy-Got-Fingered-2001.jpg (1280x1896, 470.16K)

Japanese movies are for Japanese audience, not for you international cinema festivalfags.

Attached: yZc.jpg (1500x1000, 245.99K)

This is a fair and sincere question. Memories of Matsuko is good.

What's wrong with pre-2000s?

I just appreciate the modern setting in Korean movies etc, it's fascinating. Seeing the same of Japan would be cool

I just can't agree with this at all but I guess whatever. Watch Cure and Pulse and if you like them try other Kiyoshi Kurosawa. Or do some Miike, First Love was great. Maybe Sion Sono, although that might be a bit weird for you.

Having a look, any suggestions for crime films?

You could try Kitano. Something like Outrage.

Also forgot to mention Koreeda, although he's a bit more low key than what you might be looking for.

Japs didn’t even care about Kurosawa. He only got recognition in the west.

The best crime film from Japan is High and Low but it's from the 60s but too bad, watch it anyway.

You are beyond helping if you think all those Japanese films are garbage.

Clearly there's no competition.
Forced schlock vs world wide acclaim

I'll give it a shot brother

Always start with a strong opening line. The point is few of them are vaguely recent and fewer peak my interest. This thread is about proving me wrong, not poking holes in my "argument"