How do we make a proper Lovecraft film?

How do we make a proper Lovecraft film?

Attached: sdfsa.jpg (969x1281, 83.29K)

An existential horror movie based on real life would be Kino
30 something year old Lovecraft is sucked through a time vortex while strolling throughout Queens one day while out for a stroll
He wakes up in his apartment in NYC but the year is 2008
Obama has just been elected, inner cities are overrun by Dindus, Asian and Latino immigrants make up the bulk of NYC and at the beating heart of the city is the Jewish cabal
We get to follow him on his daily walks watching him recoil at the repulsiveness that’s greets him at every step
Movie ends with him fleeing NYC over the Brooklyn Bridge, but he inexplicably stops and looks back, what he sees pushes him over the edge and drives him insane
He should have known better

Make the monster actually scary instead of some dumb squid.

make a horror film that captures the essence of the following:
-scale
-dread
-being alone
-infinity
Throw in some neat spooky stuff that's unexplainable without taking away from the above. Also cameo by niggerman.

I have no faith any studio is capable though.

Attached: 1540970939593.jpg (540x533, 56.79K)

his cat was named nigger hehe

is this niggerman?

You adapt "A Colder War" by Charles Stross, make it into a 8 part mini-series or something, with each episode being an hour long or so. You also add same types of flashback scenes like Person of Interest did that tell the story of "At the Mountains of Madness". Make the whole charade self contained, so it doesn't need a prequel or a sequel.

If you don't want an adaptation you make a noir style detective show set in the 20's. Think of it as "X-Files" meets "Supernatural Season 1" meets "The Twilight Zone". The key element is to capture the mystery and weirdness, built it up over time to a climax where the more cosmic elements of horror appear.
Again, I'd personally prefer mini-series type of format with relatively short season and very long episodes.

Also this. Based and niggermanpilled.

Attached: call-of-cthulhu-0003.jpg (1920x1080, 1018.95K)

i'd rather play a lovecraft board game than watch a lovecraft film, adaptations are shit

>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AN ITALIAN HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

In the Mouth of Madness was probably one of the best lovecraftian movies we're ever going to get

>Niggerman
You want a cat in the movie? Or did you meant the mysterious niggerman from Dreams in the Witchhouse. I just read it today, and I do not know if later works before his death utilize him more. He was interesting "g-man" like figure.

If you want to just throw a cat into the movie, than I would rather have a cat fight between KStew and Aynya TAYYY-LMAO Joy

Make it about some fedora-tipping pseud who lives with his mother, writes low rent monster stories for cheap magazines and has a nervous breakdown whenever he tries to do high school math.

a long, slow scroll of the text in an easy-to-read font and no soundtrack

The Niggerman Cometh

>SO THERE'S LIKE THIS REALLY BIG MONSTER THAT LIVES ON THE MOON AND SOME EVIL WIZARDS AND SHIT!
>LIKE SO BIG IT DOESN'T EVEN CARE ABOUT HUMANS AT ALL!
There are people who dedicate their lives to studying this man.

Attached: 43e7639bd0eee432aee8a78e78ec11dc.jpg (798x800, 73.37K)

laundry files are the only good love craft fan fiction i've read

This movie is pretty close, but i feel like im the only one that saw it

Attached: The_Endless.png (220x325, 102.04K)

Listen to this guy

Aren't those Lovecraft inspired, but not set in the Cthulhu mythos?

This movie is amazing. It’s cosmic horror but doesn’t feel derivative of Lovecraft, and it captures the sense of insignificance, powerlessness, and lack of agency very well.

reminder

Attached: dogfagsbtfo.jpg (465x742, 81.51K)

it's true, black people are afraid of cats but love pibbles

Thats exactly how i felt about it. That it was something completely outside the realm of understanding for us.

Attached: 987.jpg (750x1080, 68.08K)

Underrated

Showtime should start with a series of feature-length films in the style of CBS Mystery Theater. It might be better animated desu

publicize it by hiring people like Bruce Timm to design the look of the series, give it a BAS look set in the 17th century America.

On Lovecraft's new hobby

>"Lovecraft [...] was not actually doing much during this period aside from writing; but he had discovered one entertaining form of relaxation - moviegoing. [...] Lovecraft reports that the first cinema shows in Providence were in March 1906; and, even though he "knew too much of literature & drama not to recognize the utter & unrelieved hokum of the moving picture," he attended them anyway [...] One develops the idea that watching films may have occupied some, perhaps much, of the "blank" years of 1908 - 1913, as a letter of 1915 suggests: "As you may surmise, I am a devotee of the motion picture, since I can attend shows at any time, whereas my ill health seldom permits me to make definite engagements"

On Lovecraft losing interest in motion pictures

>"Save for a few Triangle, Pramount & Vitagraoh pictures, everything I have seen is absolute trash [...] I have yet to see a serial film worth the time wasted in looking at it - or dozing over it. The technique could be surpassed by most ten year old children." [...] With rare exceptions, Lovecraft did not care for the surprising number of films he saw in the course of his life."

>computer animated show that is influenced by early American colonial artwork
Kino. The style is the most critical thing, even if it's slightly ironic or less than frightening

Attached: image.jpg (768x948, 128.14K)

On Lovecraft's shame at being unemployed

>"Of my non-university education, I never cease to be ashamed; but I know, at least, that I could not have done differently. I busied myself at home with chemistry, literature, & the like [...] I shunned all human society, deeming myself too much of a failure in life to be seen socially by those who had known me in youth, & had foolishly expected such great things of me."

On Lovecraft's twenty-first birthday

>"He celebrated his twenty-first birthday - August 20, 1911 - by riding the electric trolley cars all day"
On Lovecraft's depression during his mid-20s

>"Adulthood is hell. Faced with a position this stubborn, the "moralists" of our time grumble in a vaguely disapproving manner, waiting for the moment to float their obscene subtexts. Maybe Lovecraft really couldn't become an adult; but what is certain is that he did not want to. And considering the values which rule the adult world, it's difficult to argue the case. The reality principle, the pleasure principle, competition, permanent challenge, sex and work...nothing to sing Hallelujah about. Lovecraft knows there's nothing to this world. And he plays the role of the loser every time. In theory as in practice. He has lost his childhood, he has equally lost his faith. The world disgusts him, and he sees no reason to suppose that things could be presented otherwise, by 'looking on the bright side'. [...] Very few will have been at this point of saturation, penetrated right to the marrow by the absolute void of every human aspiration.The universe is merely a chance arrangement of elementary particles. A transitory image in the midst of chaos. [...] Lovecraft is well aware of the depressing nature of these conclusions. As he wrote in 1918, "all rationalism tends to minimize the value and importance of life, and to diminish the total quantity of human happiness. In some cases the truth could cause suicide, or at least precipitate a near-suicidal depression.""

>AAAAAGGGGHHHHH NIGGERS AND ITALIANS I'M GOING INSAAAAAANNNEE

On Lovecraft's own distinctive Cosmic perspective

>""I could not write about "ordinary people" because I am not in the least interested in them. Without interest there can be no art. Man's relations to man do not captivate my fancy. It is man's relation to the cosmos - to the unknown - which alone arouses in me the spark of creative imagination. The humanocentric pose is impossible to me, for I cannot acquire the primitive myopia which magnifies the earth and ignores the background."

On Lovecraft's "perfected" cynicism

>"In "A Confession of Unfaith" Lovecraft suggests that the immediate postwar period let to the solidifications of his philosophical thought: "The Peace Conference, Friedrich Nietzsche, Samuel Butler (the modern), H. L. Mencken, and other influences have perfected my cynicism; a quality which grows more intense as the advent of middle life removes the blind prejudice whereby youth clings to the vapid 'all's right with the world' hallucination from the sheer force of desire to have it so. [...] One should come to realise that all life is merely a comedy of vain desire, wherein those who strive are the clowns, and those who calmly and dispassionately watch are the fortunate ones who can laugh at the acts of the strivers. The utter emptiness of all recognised goals of human endeavour is to the detached spectator deliciously apparent - the tomb yawns and grins so ironically!"

*1750 (18th century America, the period of Colonial art and Romantic art in Europe)

On Sonia's reaction to Lovecraft helping to edit and refine her short story
>"His continued enthusiasm the next day was so genuine and sincere that in appreciation I surprised and shocked him right then and there by kissing him. He was so flustered that he blushed, then he turned pale. When I chaffed him about it he said he had not been kissed since he was a very small child and that he was never kissed by any woman and that he would probably never be kissed again. (But I fooled him)."

On Sonia and Lovecraft's relationship
>"Sonia seems to have understood Lovecraft very well, his frigidity, his inhibition, his denial and his disgust for life. As for him, who considered himself an old man at thirty, one is still surprised that he could envisage union with this dynamic, vivacious creature. A divorced jewess, what’s more; which, for a conservative antisemite like him would seem to constitute an insurmountable obstacle. But it is perhaps the most unlikely explanation that seems the best: Lovecraft really seems to have, in a certain manner, loved Sonia, as Sonia loved him."

On Lovecraft marrying Sonia Green
>"Sonia writes: "I have nothing in life to attract me to Life and if I can help the good and beautiful soul of Howard Lovecraft find itself financially as it has found itself spiritually, morally and mentally, my efforts shall not have been in vain." On March 3, at St Paul's Chapel at Broadway and Vesey Streets in lower Manhattan, H.P. Lovecraft had married Sonia Haft Greene."

On a summary of Lovecraft's marriage
>"Here was a man with an unusually low sex drive, with a deep-seated love of his native region, with severe prejudice against racial minorities, suddenly deciding to marry a woman who, although several years older than he, clearly wished both a physical as well as intellectual union, and deciding to uproot himself from his place of birth to move into a bustling, cosmopolitan, racially heterogenous megalopolis without a job."

Attached: sonia greene.jpg (800x1025, 227.17K)

>he thinks this sounds like a bad premise

This movie could've been great with a proper budget. Cool concept though.

That's sweet.

giv older jewish wife

>austistic hateful Yas Forums tier NEET hates claims to hate kikes
>marries one bc pathetic beta

So this is the power of cosmic horror...

Arkham Horror 2nd Edition is the only one to truly capture the theme. Everything else is casualized cash grabs and "muh scenarios" because people are too dumb to weave together to storybits created by the decks of cards.

On Lovecraft's sexual relations with his wife

>"We learn [...] that: first, he was a virgin at the time he married; second, prior to his marriage he had read several books on sex; and third, he never initiated sexual relations, but would respond when Sonia did so. [...] Sonia herself has only two comments on the matter. 'As a married man he was an adequately excellent lover, but refused to show his feelings in the presence of others. [...] One way of expression of H.P.'s sentiment was to wrap his "pinkey" finger around mine and say "Umph!""

On Lovecraft deciding to return to Providence

>"I am essentially a recluse who will have very little to do with people wherever he may be [...] To all intents & purposes I am more naturally isolated from mankind than Nathaniel Hawthorne himself, who dwelt alone in the midst of crowds [...] I am always an outside - to all scenes & all people - but outsiders have their sentimental preferences in visual environment. I will be dogmatic only to the extent of saying that it is New England I must have - in some form or other. Providence is part of me - I am Providence.""

>"In all honesty, it is highly likely that he really wished the marriage to end at this point - or, at the very least, that he was perfectly content to see it continue only by correspondence, as indeed it id for the next several years. All he wanted was to come home; Sonia could shift for herself."

On Sonia's remarks about the end of her marriage

>""If the truth be known, it was this attitude towards minorities and his desire to escape them that promoted him back to Providence [...] I did not leave him on account of non-providence, but chiefly on account of his harping hatred of J--s. This and this alone was the real reason."

Attached: howard.jpg (1400x1400, 182.28K)

>adequately excellent
what did she mean by this

>Umph!
gigachad

On Lovecraft's view of aristocracy and democracy
>"I believe in an aristocracy, because i deem it the only agency for the creation of those refinements which make life endurable for the human animal of high organisation. Aristocracy alone is capable of creating thoughts and objects of value. Everyone, I fancy, will admit that such a state must precede democracy or ochlocracy in order to build the original culture. Fewer are willing to admit the cognate truth that democracies and ochlocracies merely subsist parasitically on the aristocracies they overthrow, gradually using up the aesthetic and intellectual resources which autocracy bequeathed them and which they never could have created for themselves."

On Lovecraft's dislike of Jews
>"A long letter in early January [1926] goes on at length about the fundamental inassimability of Jews in American life, maintaining that "vast harm is done by those idealists who encourage belief in a coalescence which never can be. He went on to note that "On our side there is a shuddering physical repugnance to most Semitic types."

On Lovecraft visiting a correspondent in Quebec
>"Early the following Tuesday morning, before I had gone to work, Howard arrived [...] I have never before nor since seen such a sight. Folds of skin hanging from a skeleton. Eyes sunk in sockets like burns holes in a blanket. Those delicate, sensitive artist's hands and fingers nothing but claws. The man was dead except for his nerves, on which he was functioning. I was scared."

On Lovecraft's hostility to dogs and appreciation of cats
>"In essence, Lovecraft's argument is that the cat is the pet of the artists and thinker, while the dog is the pet of the stolid bourgeoisie. "The dog appeals to cheap and facile emotions; the cat to the deepest founts of imagination and cosmic perception in the human mind." This leads inevitably to a class distinction that is neatly summed up in the compact utterance: "The dog is a peasant and the cat is a gentleman.""

Attached: CATS.jpg (465x742, 138.58K)