/film/

Thread for the serious discussion of arthouse and classic cinema.

1930s Edition

Attached: ozu.jpg (640x360, 30.81K)

Was titling films in the form of a question common in pre-war Japan or was it only Ozu who did that?

This is the greatest comedy film of all time and nobody will be able to convince me otherwise

Attached: p449_v_v8_aa.jpg (960x1440, 345.09K)

As good as Tarkovsky's films are in their own right, they will always be derivative of Bresson

Attached: .jpg (622x469, 55.95K)

Both are based. Who else was Tarkovsky friends with? I just know about Bresson and Kurosawa

with his husband Sergei

Attached: 73563567960c6e60b61e9f710bcd91ec[1].jpg (625x494, 38.44K)

My favorite is Nights of Cabiria. It is comedy mixed with tragedy. My favorite. Really most of Fellini's are very funny.

Il bidone, I vitelloni, La Strada and Nights of Cabiria are incredibly comfy.

Give me your opinions on Corpus Christi.

To understand film better, should I just watch more films or should I read books and essays on films?

Attached: Le corbusier.jpg (1111x694, 83.38K)

Just watch every movie directed by DW Griffith, and then you'll know everything there is to know about film

Poles cant make good endings

what's streaming this afternoon at cytu dot be/r/tv4c

sleuth mode:

dick tracy detective (1945) supremely intelligent police detective must solve a series of brutal murders in which the victims, all from different social and economic backgrounds, are viciously slashed to pieces by the one known as Splitface.

Scarlet Street (1945) Fritz Lang. two criminals who take advantage of a middle-aged painter in order to steal his artwork.

the man who knew too much (1956 )
Alfred Hitchcock.
People involved in perpetrating an assassination in Morocco conspire to eliminate the members of a family who have witnessed the killing.

The Cat o' Nine Tails (1971) by Dario Argento. giallo. intricate /confusing crime shenanigans .

etc

Are his works besides "Intolerance" and "The Birth of a nation" really worth watching?

He made hundreds of films, so obviously not all of them are worth watching, but beyond BoaN and Intolerance, I'd say Broken Blossoms, Death's Marathon, Abraham Lincoln, and The Painted Lady are definitely worth watching

know what, it was kino

Attached: L'Humanite.png (1920x1080, 2.03M)

Thank you, I'll check them out

Someone explain the ending to me.

Not even the best Hawks comedy

>still not out on Blu Ray

Attached: 1535533890350.jpg (274x274, 10.08K)

>mfw an American says The Godfather is kino

Attached: cuckppola.jpg (560x426, 41.02K)

Then what is?

>the Godfather isn't kino
fuck off contrarian retard
also the Conversation is best Coppola

Attached: 1572256416731.jpg (663x767, 57.36K)

Redux is good, the rest are flicks

Attached: 1543972631182.jpg (921x640, 60.18K)

Are there any actual good films on Netflix?
I'm limited to netflix for the following 2 weeks

Roma? I haven't seen it but there's a lot of popular praise around it.

I guess I'll watch it, cheers

About to start my post Tsui Hark film.

Attached: 109087-shanghai-blues-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg (230x345, 48.85K)

arthouse about stemfags or stem disciplines?

More comedies like this and maybe some screwball films like My Man Godfrey?

Tetsuo, La Jetée

thoughts on capellani?

Attached: 1563539068446.gif (365x274, 1.89M)

Is this the best Chaplin film?

Attached: Modern_Times_poster.jpg (736x1120, 144.57K)

no

Both Tarkovsky and Kubrick considered City Lights one of their favorite films

And both of them were hacks in comparison to me

Kubrick is a good director, his films were just unoriginal. Tarkovsky made some absolute kino. However you see it, both know much more about films than you lol

pyw

more like hackovsky and hackrick amirite fellas

What should I watch today? Battleship Potemkin, La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc, Man with a movie camera or The Phantom Carriage?

KINOPPARATOM

When in doubt, watch in chronological order of release

>tfw the jigoku (1960) torrent stuck at 40%

authentically international absolute language of cinema is the newest of them. I would watch Napoleon but I dont have enough time.

1080? I might be able to get it for you, what's the size of the file?

got it from rutracker, it was the only one working, file is 7 gigs, but contains like six 1 gig VOB files

It is a DVD rip then, I dislike that rutracker does that a lot. Try finding a 1080 mkv file, if ypi can't I will try to get it for you.

thanks user, will look for it

Blue is the Warmest Color is on Netflix.

Primer and Upstream Color but both are indie before arthouse

Attention everyone: a bunch of Pasolini films have just been added to the Criterion Channel

Attached: 14-01-2015-ILDecameron.jpg (1024x487, 73.98K)

Watched The Man Who Stole the Sun. It has so many bad parts it can't be called good, but so many good scenes that it ends up as an excellent mediocre film.
> Excellent jazzy soundtrack
> Great actor in the lead role
> Great sense of humor
> Creative scenes
> Good cinematography
But all those are counterbalanced by annoying stuff:
> The movie doesn't end. It keeps going on and on for 20-30 minutes.
> The woman could have been cut without losing anything.
> some dialogues and plot lines feel unpolished. Mostly those regarding the woman.
> Poor pacing

If they would have cut the film like crazy, and ended with an hour and 45 minute version, rather than the 2.5h, this would have been a super compy classic. It's intelligent, it has style, it's well shot, and the basic cat and mouse stuff work. But 2.5h is a lot of time, and the film fails to justify the run time.

Attached: MV5BMmQ5NTg4MzctMTU4OS00MzdiLWI3YjQtMWE2ZTYwYmFkMjQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwMTQ4NjE@._V1_UY1200_CR111,0,630,1200_AL_[1].jpg (630x1200, 136.14K)

Watching Martin Luther (1953) tonight. Hoping its good bros

since last thread died before anyone answered:
what are some prep school kinos other than pic related?

Attached: BrowingVersion1951.png (462x341, 187.16K)

there are basically none, which is sad becuase it could potentially be kino

You're not special for dislinking The Godfather.

I like it but it is a flick at best.

Brainlet opinion.

it's a movie

Attached: the chart.png (1254x1138, 152.86K)

Watch more movies, and question the decision to include everything you see and hear. Reading more essays and books can't hurt either but I've gotten a better understanding mostly from watching.

Well that was one wild ride...I guess. Movie was all over the place but undeniably charming. One of the films I like a lot of but the things I dont like also stand out quite a bit.

Anyone who has seen more Tsui Hark can confirm all his films are as colorful and spastic/screwball as this or is this more of an exception then a rule.

It's actually a cinerama.

It's not that great.

neither is panic room

>Solaris is more accessible and audience focused than The Seventh Seal

Is this real

all cineramas are movies

I would say neither are really accessible to "casual viewers" depending on what you mean by that.

Should I try Criterion Channel for month to watch a bunch of Godard? I haven't seen anything from him yet.

I watched Cassavetes's Shadows today with my mother and we both loved it. It's amazing how much it pays off when you just chill and let your actors act.

Attached: 1582080448453.jpg (1199x400, 34.88K)

i bet he feels lonely, not a single FNW director is alive except for him, and many FNW actors are dead too

Attached: MV5BOTQ5NjYwODg1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTA2NzI2MDE@._V1_.jpg (2048x1363, 728.76K)