Robert Crumb's negative response to Ralph Bakshi's Fritz The Cat and Ralph's response to him. (film)#Crumb's_response

Robert Crumb's negative response to Ralph Bakshi's Fritz The Cat and Ralph's response to him. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_the_Cat_(film)#Crumb's_response

Who was in the wrong? Crumb or Bakshi?

Attached: Fritz_the_Cat_(film).jpg (261x380, 28.54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nH54JGZjzRI
tachyon.daddyelk.com/quick-thought-is-ralph-bakshis-the-lord-of-the-rings-brilliant-or-bad/
youtube.com/watch?v=ri4iphUqShM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Crumb. You can't expect someone else to adapt your work in a manner that's exactly how you envisioned. He states that Bakshi made the movie hornier than what crumb liked? So what? Bakshi was the one who made the film, Crumb's comic was only the basis. If you want it to be your exact vision, direct it yourself. Crumb honestly just comes off as vindictive, it wasn't liked he was screwed over in anyway, he just disliked the film personally.

fpbp

Why'd you delete the first thread?

My wording seemed off.

Bakashi's films are all really bad. I don't hate him for trying, but his stuff is just total cheapo jank sleezey shit that could be a million times better

I always think Bakshi's Fritz was better, by virtue of the fact that the movie really feels like it was trying to capture the 60s in movie form, where as the comic sort of ambles around and mainly just wants to indulge in drawing stuff for shock or sex value.

He's a talented man and has made some good stuff like his adaption of Lord Of The Rings and Wizards, but some of the stuff is forgettable like Coolworld and Hey Good Lookin'.

>total cheapo jank sleezey shit
Yeah, that's his shtick, and honestly it's hit or miss. I will say that there was no work like his before, or since.

coolworld was fucked from the start by exec meddling to the extreme

>coolworld was fucked from the start by exec meddling to the extreme

Do tell...

Have you actually seen his LotR adaptation, or wizards?
They're 99% rotoscoped bullshit of randos with shitty halloween costumes or in Wizard's case, stock war film. All with a cheap as fuck color overlay and cheap rotoscoping to pad out the runtime.
Of all his work, you choose like the two glaring examples of what Bakshi's problems with his productions usually are- the scale of his vision compared to the budget, and his bullheaded attempts to meet inbetween with cheap as fuck techniques that look like shit compared to contemporaries. Granted the material he was attempting to handle was certainly striking, especially for the times, but ultimately very few of his works use the medium of animation terribly well.
Fritz the Cat, Heavy Traffic, and Coonskin are his best works simply because they're delightful period pieces that stay within their budget, genuinely interesting productions that aren't held back by the constraints of said production.
But overall I'd agree- Bakshi certainly has the talent to produce some decent things, but usually doesn't, and most of his work is a mixed bag (Ice and Fire) to pretty damn good (Fritz, Coonskin), or absolute trash (Wizards, LotR, Cool World).

Cool World was a garbage concept that only came about by some idiot executive's decision to try and grab a similar audience to Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but made by a retard with a shit story that no amount of rewrites could've salvaged.
I understand you all like to jerk off to whatsherface but outside of tits the film has absolutely zero value outside of wondering "why the fuck would they bother to produce this trash".

What we got couldn't father than what Bakshi actually wrote and pitched. They ignored his script and had other make a more family friendly version. He figured out how screwed over the studio did him and just more or less did whatever since at that point he was just getting paid to have his name attached to a film he barely had anything to do. Go look it up online to get more of the story.

Your right. I just choose those two because I like fantasy animated films. His LotR film sort of tried to stay close to the books though it could have used some humor and introduced me to the books(and the Rankin/Bass films), and Fire and Ice has a bit of an Conan vibe to it.

Like John K., Bakshi got the chance to Kickstart his own cartoon. He got almost 200 grand to make Last Days of Coney Island.

Even with all that cash and in spite of decades of technological advancements and a lack of meddling executives, it's a complete train wreck.

I think his problems are also getting screwed by the studios and having a low budget.

Is it as bad as Cans Without Labels?

youtube.com/watch?v=nH54JGZjzRI

>conan vibe
Ice and Fire was worked on by Bakshi and Frank Frazetta, the later of which is very noted for his conan art and general sword and sorcery style artwork.

That too. He always had a problem with raising funds to actually pay people to get these films produced- a lot of it has to do with the content of the films, American cultural perceptions of cartoons, and also Bakshi is kind of a pill at times.

I think this article explains how I as a JRR Tolkien fan feel on Ralph's LotR adaptation tachyon.daddyelk.com/quick-thought-is-ralph-bakshis-the-lord-of-the-rings-brilliant-or-bad/

Give it a watch and find out:

I present to you, Ralph Bakshi's Last days Of Coney Island
youtube.com/watch?v=ri4iphUqShM

Also it seems people generally enjoyed it?

Bakshi was allowed to do what he wanted with a carte-blanche adaptation, and Crump is allowed to be displeased with the results. Neither is objectively right or wrong but the film was better.

>Neither is objectively right or wrong
I feel overt moral wrongs can be objectively wrong. Crumb publicly declared he hated the film, which is a pretty shitty thing to do, and crumb also tried to ruin the connections that Bakshi had made, some of which were in the film industry (aka important to his work and livelihood).

Crumb is allowed to dislike the film, but his action should be frowned upon.

>Crumb is allowed to dislike the film, but his action should be frowned upon.
Bruh, he's allowed to dislike the adaptation of his own work. Does he look like a pouty retarded baby? Definitely.
But don't make a man with artist's distemper disliking a take on his definitely personal work some immoral bullshit. You look like a grandiose asshole.

aaaand like an idiot I ignored the other bit of your post
In the end you're bitching about the ultimate dynamic of hollywood productions. People don't like working or paying assholes. Crumb's a retard but using him as the sole example of the hollywood dynamic just seems... meh to me. Shits not going to change and people have a right to talk and consort how they want, but yeah theyre still assholes. so ultimately I'd agree if i could actually READ

Like you said, him acting like a whiny bitch baby makes him look bad, but you're missing the part where he actively messed with Bakshi's career/reputation out of spite. That crosses the line.

>You look like a grandiose asshole.
W-w-well fuck you too sir!

>aaaand like an idiot I ignored the other bit of your post
Haha, welp happens to the best of us, I missed this post. It's fine that your indifferent about these things. I find shit talking someone unfairly or ruining someone's reputation to obviously be more egregious than you, regardless of the situation.

The only reason anyone still remembers Crumb is because of the movie

As someone who still loves South Park and Rick and Morty, would i find this film funny nowadays ? Never watched it, yet i'm aware of how groundbreaking it was back then

That and his lord of the rings films. But you could have such a flippant attitude and use this argument about any creator.