Shows with lgbt characters that arent SJW garbage

is it possible? can those kinda characters we written well? is anyone whos NOT doing it for clout even gonna do it, or is it not worth it? and would YOU even call a show not-SJW-trash if it HAD em?

Attached: gays.png (949x125, 21.45K)

Venture Bros

Mission Hill

Dofus.
Or pretty much any show that's not made in the USA

Attached: a98adbacc0c73b62f813a604e71139a9.jpg (1280x720, 67.26K)

Superjail and Mission Hill

I don't get Superjail.

so whats the key to writing LGBT content that doesnt come off as SJW shit?
and can you only do it with gay characters? or are trans characters possible too?

they're a lesbian couple but being lesbians is never brought up (no "look how special they are or how much drama they had to deal with just to be together"). they're just like everyone else with normal problems (the biggest thing about one of the characters is she has a gambling problem)

Attached: tumblr_os6nf73bjn1upwxcdo1_400.png (400x223, 91.03K)

Clone high

Sex appeal going three ways.

Attached: a54.jpg (768x960, 139.58K)

Sailor Moon did it over 20 years ago.

I dont want my dick sucked metaphorically by a forced metaphor about compulsory heterosexuality, i want my dick sucked by a hot husbando. If you're gonna have lgbt characters make them CHARACTERS not narrative devices or plot points or morals

Also hot

Some of you guys think everything is sjw.

Maho Tsukai Tai and Tenku Senki Shulato (maybe) also did it alright, if we're talking anime.

>of you guys
who you preaching to, wet wipe
answer the OP question and get off ur high horse

This implies that the gays ever stopped being at it.

Not if there is just love and no politics.

Honestly, I don't think they were that great. I fact, we hardly knew anything about them until that film episode.

Attached: 4883564740_32d4baa849_o.jpg (161x200, 39.58K)

Working on a webcomic and always wonder if having gay characters without being viewed as sjw trash or crucified by the lgbt community is possible

>group of 5 main characters travel together fighting bad guys
>SOME(his character doesn’t revolve around his sexuality) of the personality of character 5 is written as the stereotype of the homoerotic gym bro that’s totally not gay no homo bro
>character 5 is obviously gay to everyone but character 1 who is a slightly less dense but still oblivious dude-bro
>characters 1 and 5 become best buds over time

>group meets an old acquaintance who teams up with them and is openly gay
>character 1 has difficulty working with him now that he knows he’s gay
>”it’s just weird. Nothing personal or anything, I guess I was just raised different. Let’s just live and let live but seriously, go away” - character 1s general attitude toward gays

>later on character 5 gets hospitalized around the same time character 1 finds out he’s gay
>character 1 visits him in the hospital before the group leaves without him and is shown to call him every now and then
>his interactions with the two gays are meant to illustrate his growth and also to put forward the concept that sometimes an issue might need to affect someone on a more personal level before they can fully understand it

How would this turn out?

It's possible. The main reason some instances of lgbt representation come off as shallow is mainly because the folks behind it only care for profit. I feel like niche media such as webcomics and web fiction feel more geninue to me because it's made by someone who's passionate to write their own experiences than having rich white dudes do the work for them.

he's saying depending on the user's tolerance (ignorance) level, even the simplest thing can be accused of being an SJW thing. like someone will announce an animated adaptation of "guess who's coming to dinner" and some people will call it SJW trash (even though the original material predates SJW).

you guys' threshhold for SJW garbage is really low though. If even a single character mentions that maybe it was hard for them growing up because they were gay, you lose your mind and start frothing at the mouth about 'agendas'. You kind of prefer it if the gay characters are silent and never mention their orientation, because frankly, that's how you'd prefer LGBTQ people act in real life. Being reminded of someone elses different sexual orientation makes you so uncomfortable, you'd rather plug your ears and close your eyes and hope they don't exist.

Your favorite show where you don't know the character's sexual preference. Real Gay representation is Apathy. Straight people don't go around telling people how straight they are because it's the norm. That's what acceptance IS.

Attached: largelegs.jpg (966x1400, 278.13K)

Just write good and interesting characters/relationships first and foremost, and don’t make a big cringy deal about their sexuality. Have them interact with plenty of other characters aside from their gay love interest, give them important relationships besides their gay love interest, and make sure the gay relationship is a fun and/or interesting dynamic that even people who aren’t normally into gay shit can enjoy watching and get invested in.
And make them cute/cool/hot/what have you.

Anything that’s done for brownie points and not pure passion is bad.
Someday I will make good gay shit when I improve my art

>so whats the key to writing LGBT content that doesnt come off as SJW shit?
Good writing.

I'm serious, you can have characters like The Alchemist in Venture Bros who's openly gay, talks about being gay all the time, and all the trappings with it, but because his character fits so well and his jokes are great people don't care. Film and movies get away with a lot of things if the writing is good, if the scenes are well constructed, the dialog isn't jarring and annoying and the message is interwoven into the grander narrative to the point that stating it would be redundant, it speaks well enough without stopping to lecture anyone and does it better than said lectures. Massive twists can be celebrated for decades like Vader revealing to Luke he's his father, or it can cause a massive amount of the audience to check out and just not come back to the property as a whole when everything else is badly written, like Luke throwing the lightsaber over his shoulder in TLJ.

The key is stunningly simple, don't dumb down your content because you "Want your message to be heard and clear even to the 'Uneducated' in the audience", put in the effort to make the world and characters consistent, don't resort to lecturing and accept that if the audience didn't get the message then that's fine, and for gods sake stop with the strawmen pointing to real life figures, better villains mean better stories. If you have to include them, make them engaging enough people want to see them on screen. SJW isn't hated because it has those themes any more than Blade was hated because the lead was black, its because around the time they introduced it they got this weird idea that it shielded them from critique, leading to dozens of hopeful projects flopping onto the scene in a pile because they were so sure an SJW Ghostbusters couldn't be shit on because it was "Important". If this message is so damn important, than prove it by putting in the effort to make its vehicle good.

Sometimes you can't just ignore it, because its not always easy and normal and good by everyone's standards. Its like portraying a family where the parents are 100% always supportive and nice and never yell no matter what, pure fantasy bullshit. But that only really applies when you're modeling real life. If its a cartoon with explicitly no consequences then why bother inserting politics instead of just portraying the ideal- that gays and lesbians are just seen as any normal couple would be in the setting.

He-man?

Beat me to it. I liked how they handled it, they were regular parents just like everyone else

>so whats the key to writing LGBT content that doesnt come off as SJW shit?
Romance and relationships are narrative devices and should be treated as such.
Doing it for patronising reasons or to tick off the diversity checkbox makes it stand out like a sore thumb.
If you cannot answer why one of your certain characters needs his/her sexuality disclosed, don't do it.

>straight people don't go around telling everyone how straight they are
Taking every opportunity to mention how fuckable you find whoever is being talked about counts as telling everyone how straight you are when they're of the opposite sex
So does ranting about how some character's new design isn't sexy enough, complaining if a show has male nudity but not female nudity or visa versa when you're of the opposite sex, and I could go on but I'd hit the character limit. Its all inseperably going "I'm straight, I'm straight, look how straight I am
And oh, sure, not all straights, but have you ever sat and tallued up how many straight characters written by straight people have "loves to fuck the opposite sex" as their core character trait?

That's kinda subjective right? It's inherent with politics and highly dependent of the readers' existing bias and inclination.

you absolutely can write gay characters who MENTION theyre gay or ACT gay n have it be good by both sides standards (Well other than those people who get offended at just about anything), its not like gay people arent a thing that exists, nor are gay people who very clearly act like it