Why do modern cartoons love referencing classic cartoons so much?

Why do modern cartoons love referencing classic cartoons so much?

Attached: EUAuU0qU4AA0ij3.jpg (2576x2692, 442.39K)

Because that's how media works? There's tons of references and in cartoons who better to reference than those who inspired you

SU has no creativity

That’s how bacteriophage looks like, no show owns it

most of the quality scenes in su are just references for the sake of references
because they know their REAL target audience are tumblr teens and young adults who will see it and go "wooooooa I RECOGNIZE that!"

How does making references and allusions mean you aren't creative?

Or they make references to homage media they enjoy and cause they're fun

Someone post the WEBM of a billion shows doing the 'Akira Bike Slide'. SU aren't the first, won't be the last.

As far as the other parts of the OP's image, Spinel's theme is from the rubberhose animation style of the 20's and 30's.

references and allusions vs copying everything like SU does

all fucking media references older media you dumb cunt

Holy shit, SU really is a derivative show in some areas

How is it copying exactly? And if this is copying is every work of fiction that references other forms of fiction also copying

Cartoons have been referencing classic cartoons nonstop since the 30s. Even classic cartoons referenced each other all the time.

>LOL LOOK AT THIS RUBBER HOSE REFERENCE
>The 40’s and 50’s get jack shit when it comes to references despite being the decades with the best cartoons

Attached: 7941D7D7-5525-42C3-AF59-2F25D39801B9.jpg (297x464, 91.92K)

Well to be fair rubber hose is more recognizable and very distinct in comparison to the style of the 40s and 50s

>That’s how bacteriophage looks like
Do we have proof?

If Akira is so good how come they never made an Akira 2?

Same reason there was never an Abyss 2

>Mickey Mouse
>not XJ9
You had one job

Attached: 1627F983-E84A-44BB-AEC2-5C48A84ED2A6.png (572x649, 286.02K)

XJ9 is also a reference to Mickey Mouse.

Okay, why do these things look so awesome? They look like alien spaceships.

>Spinel was the best SU character since they ruined Peridot
>failed to utilized her her properly in Future and just boiled her down to comic relief
Why?

I dunno, I never watched this show. Should I? Looks like it has a lot of cute girls.

Just watch the movie, you can skip the shows.

>Spinel
>best SU character
Hell fucking no she is an okay character that everybody just likes cause she is cute and sympathetic

And well-written, and believable, even if it was a fluke. She, Greg, and Pink Diamond/Rose are definitely the best SU characters. Jasper would have been too if they didn't completely fail to explore what makes her compelling.

Biology is weird

I didn't see it. I like her but I wouldn't put her in the top 5 or even the top 10 she is really just kind of annoying

People are annoying. Spinel is one of the few SU characters that acts like a real person, and she's the fucking world ending villain.

>go through the effort to bring back the VA from the film but instead of receiving a character focused episode for Spinel, she is instead relegated as an extra along with the Diamonds in a Steven-focused episode
>only gets three lines in the second to last episode
>doesn't even get to show off her singing talents again and instead sings half-assed for another joke moment
>isn't portrayed as seriously or respectfully as she was in the film at any moment
>she and the Diamonds don't even get a proper sendoff for the end of the entire series
I know Jasper got fucked hard for the final climax but at least she got to say bye to Steven.

Attached: 123987487323.jpg (1280x1202, 128.59K)

>most of the quality scenes in su are just references for the sake of references
Nah user.

The real gems in Steven Universe are the scenes where a conundrum evolves from the feminine behaviors of the cast and end up needing a man to fix the problem.

So do they actually walk around on those leg-ish things, or are they just there, or what?

Was Sugar ever a fan of My Life as a Teenage Robot?

Attached: DEF5F771-E3A7-48F3-9A0B-3ABD9E9E67EA.png (628x422, 108.85K)

They really don't look that similar.

maybe not with color and detail.

I'm guessing the character's unique stretch animation and Sarah Stiles voice talent helped sell the character to the fandom despite being portrayed as a shitty villain.

I guess so. Jenny looks like she’s more directly influenced by old rubber hose cartoons, four fingers and all

If the user likes it it's a homage, if they don't it's a rip-off. We've been over this countless times.

Spinel doesn't live on Earth, why would she say goodbye to him?

She is actually way more evil than the diamonds. The diamonds do what they do because that is their reason for existence. Spinel was just throwing a hissy fit and was going to kill 7.8 billion people because of Pink.

Somewhat walk

Exactly. She had a great character in the movie but her punishment made the ending pretty flat. She should have been stuck on Earth to help clean up her mess instead of getting everything she ever wanted with more Diamonds in a palace.

It's not like they stand on the legs, they sorta float around in whatever substance they are until they find a suitable bacteria, then they attach themselves to it.
The legs do move, but they function more like fish barbels though.