Comic Book Industry in Depression General

The Story So Far
>Comics vs. coronavirus: Comics industry shut down for the first time in almost a century
theconversation.com/comics-vs-coronavirus-comics-industry-shut-down-for-the-first-time-in-almost-a-century-134971
>Largest US comics distributor won’t ship new books ‘until further notice’ due to coronavirus
polygon.com/comics/2020/3/23/21191579/dc-marvel-diamond-comics-stops-shipping-new-books
>NO NEW COMICS DOESN'T MEAN THE END OF THE COMICS INDUSTRY. NOT BY A LONG SHOT.
syfy.com/syfywire/no-new-comic-book-day-catch-up-reading
>Diamond Comics Announces They Won’t Be Able To Pay Publishers In Full Until Late August
boundingintocomics.com/2020/04/06/diamond-comics-announces-they-wont-be-able-to-pay-publishers-in-full-until-late-august/
>COMIC BOOK MARKET COLLAPSES: 'PENCILS DOWN'
cosmicbook.news/comic-book-market-collapses-pencils-down
>The Coronavirus Outbreak Has Plunged the Comics World into Existential Chaos
thedailybeast.com/the-coronavirus-pandemic-has-plunged-the-comic-book-world-into-existential-chaos
>SHOCKER: DC announces return to shipping comics for 4/27 with alternative distributors
comicsbeat.com/shocker-dc-announces-return-to-shipping-comics-for-4-27-with-alternative-distributors/
>DIAMOND Refutes DC's Notice to Retailers About Canceled Orders, States They're Still a DC Distributor
newsarama.com/49888-diamond-refutes-dc-s-notice-to-retailers-about-canceled-orders.html
>Comic-Con cancelled due to coronavirus crisis
theguardian.com/culture/2020/apr/17/comic-con-cancelled-due-to-coronavirus-crisis
>This is beyond the Great Depression’: will comic books survive coronavirus?
theguardian.com/books/2020/apr/20/great-depression-will-comic-books-survive-coronavirus-marvel-cuts
Previous thread

Attached: EJX2Lq3XYAUwBBb.jpg (720x540, 74.37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/comics/diamond-talks-dc-comics-all-orders-still-in-our-system/
screenrant.com/direct-market-comic-book-industry/
techcrunch.com/2020/04/21/patreon-lays-off-13-of-workforce/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Eh.
Manga is the future.

B-B-B-BUT CASUALGATE

They were right all the time, simply because of their dumb appearance no one took them seriously.

now would be the time for anyone with an idea to make it and get it on comixology, because you may not have to contend with the Big 2 until August.

Pencils Down is more of an indictment on digital comic books, it's basically the industry admitting the speculators are still main demographic.

>>DIAMOND Refutes DC's Notice to Retailers About Canceled Orders, States They're Still a DC Distributor
I called this a few weeks ago that open POs was the real sticking point against digital/any other alternative publishing. DC taking the initiative is actually pretty brave. They're the ones giving up on those sales, not Diamond. This frees retailers from obligations they made before the pandemic struck.
Diamond can stomp and holler, but it's up to DC whether they fill those POs or not. There's nothing Diamond can do if DC doesn't ship those books to them.

But DC still wants to be "good friends" with Diamond.
bleedingcool.com/comics/diamond-talks-dc-comics-all-orders-still-in-our-system/

Of course they do. So does Diamond. DC is too big for them to drop over this slight.
If Diamond forces retailers to honor these months-delayed orders, even those who get these books from Lunar or UCS, all of the retailer anger will be directed towards Diamond and rightly so.

Probably the only demographic they have. The question is, do other publishers resist seeing that they are incapable of igniting the Big 2 level of faggotry and therefore continue to give a shit? What are they hoping for? Speculators will not buy them, but the simple reader just puke from such a primitive level of execution. Or small publishers simply work with what they have because the industry has long time ago stopped attracting true talent?

can you please delete your thread

this is killing me

So you think I should try to make that watercolor comic I've been dreaming of?

I guess my problem is that when I sit down to make it, nothing comes to me. It's so weird. I can write the script but I don't have as much experience with comics.

>proceeded to create more threads

Attached: e1a39f3486c3.jpg (958x720, 69.9K)

>Comic Book Industry in Depression
And that's a good thing!

the problem is Diamond has shut down, without Marvel or DC's offerings it's not financially feasible to ship indie comics to stores, since they comic stores shipping weight.

on top of that, California and New York are shut down where 90% of comic books are made and sold

You should've been trying to make that comic a while ago.

Try envisioning the scene. Start with the location, time of day, and what it would look like. Storyboard first, then build the comic around it.

Are there still Comicbook only stores that haven't transitioned into a table top store?

screenrant.com/direct-market-comic-book-industry/

I am gonna stay by my stance that if the comic book industry hadn`t alienated so many of their fans by censoring and pandering for a small group of people who don`t even buy comics and instead produced fanservice products they now wouldn`t be in such a bad financial situation where Coronoar could deliver the death blow.

patreon supported webcomics is the where the money is at, the cost and trouble of getting your comic published and into a store ain`t worth the relatively weak sales

yup, prime example of this is K6BD

fuck right of with that sjw shit

Patreon is not feeling well. Guess why.
techcrunch.com/2020/04/21/patreon-lays-off-13-of-workforce/

i don't care about it one bit tho, just saying that it was a smart move to start publishing it online instead of wasting your ideas on greedy publishers

>sjw shit
>anime
How?

>started comic a year ago
>first intended it to be a published work but after pitching (and rejections) I figured it would've a better idea to do the comic on my terms online
>life was getting busy anyway so going webcomic worked better for me
>known indie publisher contacts me and says they wanna publish
>they wanna put my book in their M-rated online store even though said book lacks in mature content
>Say no and ask about actual print copies
>they tell me for my book to get printed I'd have to de-age my characters (the characters aren't even human) and make the book alot more kid friendly
>contract deal was semi sketchy too
>said NOPE and continued on my merry way

I don't regret any part of this decision.

Attached: Nod.gif (416x312, 661.38K)

hopefully they will stop hiring SJW idots and feminazis as authors

Nope, pedal to the metal, we going to sjw Valhalla!!!!

Attached: Melissa-de-la-Cruz-Author-Interview.jpg (770x571, 119.53K)

What about webtoon? Its the biggest comic aggregator at the moment isn't it?

Gonna be honest here, I can see a market for something like this. If they billed it as a 'highschool AU" teen girls might actually be curious. High School Alternate Universes are actually an incredibly popular fanfiction prompt.

LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU CASUALGATOR LALALA

Attached: 00de1bac312a48bf12353877876b5754-4.jpg (580x869, 67.63K)

nice, what's the name of the comic ?