Cartoons nowadays

Cartoons nowadays

Attached: EWRjzF_X0AA71W9.jpg (640x759, 96.39K)

>these days

IF I WASN'T ALIVE IN THE PAST IT DIDN'T EXIST

Name ONE that applies.

If anything it's pretty much the opposite.

Cartoon lore was a complete mistake. I'm not sure who is to blame for the spread of it, but I hope they die alone and full of regret.

these houses are on the pacific coast highway going past santa monica beach close to malibu

The house on the right needs to be unfurnished, half finished, badly built and abandoned.

>close to malibu
So Barbie's neighborhood?

Adventure Time everything wrong with cartoons can be traced back to Adventure Time

I think the idea the picture might actually be going for is that lately cartoons with somewhat cutesy art styles tend to have somewhat dark lore (by comparison to the style), but it does read as "good art style but shitty lore" at first glance

I mean, I could be wrong though. Just thought I'd throw that out there

western cartoon lore is one of the most interesting things to follow nowadays, comparie with french and japanese animation that is just languishing on their old formula.

Adventure Time.

What the fuck are you talking about? Owl House, Amphibia and Steven Universe lore sucks

ha ha funny kid have wacky adventure in wacky world where most humans were extinguished by a global nuclear holocaust
ha ha funny fat boy with magic belly button deals with the legacy of his war criminal mother who sacrificed thousands of her soldiers to protect earth from being bled dry and humanity from being completely obliterated
ha ha funny twins and their pet pig do wacky magic stuff in the forest trying to uncover the mystery of an occult expert who opened a gate to another reality and got tricked by an all powerful demon who wants to invade our reality

All shows listed are over as of now, but I am confident in saying that Owl House will definitely follow this formula as soon as we get more exposure to the plot.

Attached: 2293322-267px_33770_adventuretime3.png (267x360, 43.78K)

still better than green narutos and school settings.

Happy tree friends

Not the same user, I can't be certain of what he really means, but I think I can get behind his general statement. Anime hes not changed its formula in a very long time. Stuff that's meant to be serious is serious from the get-go. Stuff that's meant to be fun is fun right away.
Even if the lore of modern western shows is not meticulously tolkienesque in its detail, I really like the format of "setting up a cutesy and innocent world and then slowly revealing its dark underbelly", I personally think it's very effective and engaging.

No? Amphibia is literally nothing more than "tehee I was teleported to a swamp with talking frogs, oh no my friend was mean to meeee bawww"

Current western shows lore are more repetitve and basic than anime. There is nothing to discuss or explore because there is no substance or creativity at all, it does not help the fact several of them are super similar to each other.

amphibia is setting up the main characters as prophesied figures of legend who enter the realm from a "calamity box".

it's definitely more complex than your ridiculous generalization.

Attached: 1570163394736.png (1440x1152, 1.36M)

>introduce a fantastical setting and pull the rug under the audience with some crazy and grim reveal

good shit, better than naruto-sasuke rivalries/homolust and saitamas killing the tension out of any event and calling it comedy.

Attached: 1575485167810.png (333x250, 159.95K)

everyone is a fucking idiot (besides the guuurls) in that show, how is it dark?

Is the second house supposed to be dark or bland?

Cutesy artstyle, dark events. That's the theme of this thread, apparently.

The Lich, the post apocolypic setting, the Ice King's backstory, Lemongrab's kingdom, etc.
Basically when this guy said C'mon dude, they were obviously trying to have dark undertones.

I loved the shit out of the old Don Bluth movies as a kid so this is fine with me.
But I'm still an execution-over-concept fag so it still has to actually be done well to hold my attention.

Attached: landbeforetime_1988_photo_hero-1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 257.95K)

Isn't this the opposite? these cartoons have simplistic artstyle because they focus on telling a story and that includes lore

>hurr I want my randumb episodes where nothing ever matters and status quo is god!!!

You would have a point if these shows followed through with dense and well put together stories that had proper resolutions instead of protracted, ongoing plots secondary to pseudo slice of life and puerile and unfulfilling will-they-won't-they romance filler, worse than episodic villain of the week shows and worse than the telenovelas with spiky hair anime the showrunners were inspired by, and that asphyxiates and waters down all the excitement of the real plot, if not completely overshadows it.

Romance filler was only a problem in Star Vs and some seasons of AT. Slice of life, when not overdone, builds up further suspense and expectation for the actual plot-centric episodes.

Imagine being an adult and thinking that AT has any sort of dark content...