Was this legitimate, or a cop out? If the latter, how do you think it should've been handled. Discuss

Was this legitimate, or a cop out? If the latter, how do you think it should've been handled. Discuss.

Attached: Avatar-The-Last-Airbender-Sozins-Comet-Part-4-Avatar-Aang.jpg (1200x776, 137.79K)

Cop out, just stop being selfish and kill that motherfucker

Correct solution for Aang who was determined to not sway from his principles no matter what. BUT, since it was compressed into only a handful of episodes, with NO foreshadowing (a drawing is not foreshadowing), it BECAME a cop out. Good idea, executed like shit.

who cares it was 400 years ago

I think being a god among men reduced to a muggle would be a fate much worse than dying honorably in battle.

>he doesn't read another book

Attached: 1587666159283.jpg (720x696, 56.14K)

I thought it was good.
A kid determined to stick to his practice and was rewarded with the skill needed for it.

>Unironically uses the word muggle
Ouch man.

Attached: 1566314334707.jpg (285x451, 44.75K)

It would have been quite good if we'd gotten more buildup to it. The reason it's shitty is that we literally find out about energybending AND lion turtles within the last four episodes. It feels like a cheap asspull because it's not appropriately built up and foreshadowed.

Also, fuck Bryke for trying to cover their asses later and say lion turtles were foreshadowed. They were fucking not. A few drawings and statues here and there is not enough for something that becomes a major plot element.

It really is a shame they pulled such a huge Deus ex machina for the ending when the story had been so exceptional up to that point. I guess Bryke really did use up every last bit of creative steam making ATLA, cause they clearly had none left by the end.

Honestly, yeah, looking back it was probably the biggest black mark on an otherwise awesome finale. I think the idea behind Spirit Bending is cool and makes a certain amount of sense with the worldbuilding we'd gotten up to that point, but its implementation in the story is pretty poor. And I'm not even just talking about how quickly it was introduced. It just gave Aang such an easy solution to what was set up as a major moral dilemma for him.

Not swaying from your principles is an admirable thing, but in real life, you have to be prepared to deal with the consequences, which oftentimes isn't easy to do (and you could argue that it *only* counts when it's not easy). If Aang wanted to spare Ozai because his principles wouldn't allow him to kill someone unarmed and defenseless, then that's something I can respect even if I don't necessarily agree with him, but the story basically just let him sidestep the issue altogether.

I probably would've been more accepting of it if learning Spirit Bending had required some great sacrifice on Aang's part. Off the top of my head, I think the ending of FMA (manga/Brotherhood) is a good example of this, where Ed achieved something thought impossible, but at the cost of his Alchemy. And I'm not saying the sacrifice had to be his Bending, but that's the sort of magnitude I'm talking about.

Yeah, did even the comics cover that? Like Ozai being alive leads to a bad thing?

>it was probably the biggest black mark on an otherwise awesome finale

Even more than that stupid fucking rock?

Why Aang only showed reluctance towards the idea of killing ozai in the final episodes?

Probably because he didn't really think about it until then. During the eclipse you could at least make the argument he was going to just capture him while he was defenseless or something, and had he had to fight he would have choked

Duuuude, I completely forgot about that. Aang would've been royally fucked if it wasn't for that huge ass stroke of luck.

Attached: 13e3d6dabd7a680914744eed18afa2de.jpg (510x385, 22.03K)

Unless he had something like the thing holding down Bumi, that’d be dumb

When Aang mentioned that Azula's lightning had stopped up his chakras, I assumed this was setting up some profound spiritual quest to unblock them. I assumed we'd get an entire episode devoted to him recovering the Avatar State, possibly involving some sort of journey to the Spirit World. Or, at the very least, I expected a certain amount of spiritual journeying.

I certainly didn't expect him to get it back through getting smacked in the back in just the right place by sheer dumb luck.

I guess the idea is that, without his Bending, Ozai was harmless. He was easily one of the strongest Benders on the planet, and Bumi demonstrated how tough it can be to imprison someone on that level. But this way, Ozai can be jailed and he isn't likely to gain much political support now that he's just a normal guy.

Yeah the rock was pretty dumb, I'd forgotten about that.

It was sort of something that didn't really come into the equation in the earlier episodes. Aang's fighting style always seems to be nonlethal, and the Air Nomads were at least quasi pacifistic monks, with no standing army. They always talked about Aang needing to defeat the Fire Lord, but it wasn't until late in the series that they started talking about the fact that that might mean Aang might have to kill him.

I think towards the end they rapidly realized they had a bunch of loose ends they forgot about, so all of them get solved by incredibly convenient circumstances. "Hey we never addressed him not being able to use the Avatar state!" "Oh right... uh... Just have him get hit by a rock, or something." Makes me think a critical writer got booted somewhere along the way in this season or a previous season.

Attached: Avatar Aang.webm (920x690, 2.92M)

Attached: Avatar Aang2.webm (1280x960, 2.95M)

Attached: Avatar Aang3.webm (1280x960, 2.92M)

The problem is that it was kind of a cheat that he couldn't even access it earlier in the season, like during the Day of Black Sun anyway. He'd DONE all the spiritual components already, he'd earned that control over his power, and then Azula hit him with a physical injury that cut that off. There's nothing to learn or grow from, and there's no reason Katara's healing shouldn't have been able to fix it, except that they wanted to keep tension during the fight until that moment by giving Aang a handicap.

Attached: Avatar Aang4.webm (960x720, 2.89M)

The plot up to the end may have become bad, but mannn, those fighting scenes still gave me chills. Made up for the bad plot, at least somewhat.

Attached: 1581632156233.jpg (480x499, 21.49K)

ATLA fans are the Harry Potter fans of animation. You guys only watch this cartoon and act like it's great when there's so much better Wuxia movies you could watch.

I really think that not killing the Fire Lord was necessary to the story. It was a nice touch that even the air nomad avatar also told him to just to kill Ozai.

It's a cop out in every sense of the word, but I wouldn't call it disappointing. It's annoying that everyone is telling Aang that he has to be willing to kill the Fire Lord, and then the story magics up a way that he doesn't have to make a hard choice. It was a cool finale though.

If there had been an episode earlier where the Gaang shared a story where a bender had their bending taken away, it would have worked. The story could have been dismissed by the Gaang as just an allegory.