IT BEGINS

archive.md/YpaMs

>Diamond Comic Distributors is holding previously-cheduled payments to its vendors this week, attributing their decision to a cash flow difficulties due to coronavirus' impact on the supply chain.
>In a letter from Stan Heidmann, the president of Diamond's parent company Geppi Family Enterprises, the distributor explains to its vendors that they are "no longer receiving consistent payment from our customers" and that as a result, they will "hold payments to vendors previously scheduled to release this week."
For the layman, Diamond's customers are Direct Market or "specialty" comic book shops, mail order services, bookstores, and other retail operations who buy discounted products from the distributor to sell to their customers.
>"Vendors" are the comic book publishers and manufacturers of games, toys, collectibles, etc., who depend on Diamond to distribute those products to retail stores.

Attached: k30fp7J[1].png (690x874, 918.24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mzItS5BmUNw
digital.darkhorse.com/pages/series
youtu.be/bq54jb_5WCI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=mzItS5BmUNw

>an industry so weak it can't withstanding a two week shut down

That can be said about almost every industry right now

I like to see what tbe companies are going to do if Diamond flat out dies instead of coming back.

me too. what a time to be alive

I went to culinary school there was a whole class on finance management for restaurants, one of the lessons was about managing funds in case you have to be shut down for maintenance or something and I feel like not a single company in America has been practicing this.

A month from now:

>Valiant: Gone
>IDW: Gone
>Boom: Gone
>Image: Digital Only
>Dark horse: Digital Only
>Humanoids: Gone
>Marvel: No new comics/Digital backlog on Disney+ or new subscription platform
>DC: 5-10 new comics only in a monthly anthology trade released each month on newsstands/Digital Backlog on HBO Max

Most large companies in america are run by charts, not humans. And they plan quarterly. Their entire operating strategy is "How do we make the most money possible within the next three months?"
No wonder the coronavirus has buttfucked so many of them so hard.

Are they going to bother releasing digitally the stuff they had planned before all this shit or are we never going to get resolution to what were following?

So, also a lot of other industries shutting down this month?

Actually, yes. Just-in-time-logistics is cancer. As is a company having absolutely zero savings and throwing everything at the wall in the hopes of short term growth.

Hahah no more comics for fat comic loving fag fucking idiots. Rekt.

Possibly, DC pushed back things scheduled for this week digitally to the end of April.

>Hahah no more comics for fat comic loving fag fucking idiots. Rekt.

Attached: 1546976963824.png (460x435, 97.97K)

I worry about my cartoons too tho

Attached: d61.jpg (360x270, 37.11K)

Cartoons are already dying due to streaming. Too expensive to produce, at least not unless you're willing to pay slave wages.

Your face trying to defend stoneage bs

Play Talking Angela today! Don't you want to see them get married?

Attached: Screenshot_20200330-195414_YouTube.jpg (2220x1080, 538.35K)

I work in the optical industry and we’re basically shut down. Every frame company not in China, even the European ones, have their distribution offices in either California or NY, and both have been mandated shut by the state governments, so nobody is able to place new orders, return defectives, get parts for repairs, anything. And that’s even for an industry where the stores themselves are still considered an essential service and mostly open.

DIE DIAMOND DIE

YESSS

That seems like very bad business sense

>>DC: 5-10 new comics only in a monthly anthology trade released each month on newsstands/Digital Backlog on HBO Max
DC Jump when?

lol how vulnerable they are.

wonder why every mutt industry is dominated by only a few big companies like a commie society. same goes for the video game distributions

I believe he's refering to DC's line of Walmart/Target giants.

which LCS's also had a meltdown over because they couldn't sell "THE FIRST BATMAN STORY BY BENDIS!"
Which led to those stories getting LCS reprints, and the line expanded so that LCS's got the Giant's too.

That post was meant for

Seriously DC should have just kept course and released digitally and ignored the LCS whining.

Calm down, mohammed.

Quarterly profit model and publicly traded companies are bad business sense in general, but some money will be made in the short term so it's not like anyone involved gives a shit about the brand. Guys like Jeff Bezos, who have the shareholder backing to do whatever they want, are relatively rare.

>Humanoids: Gone
You mean publishing their 50th edition of Incal because that’s what they do these days

Dark horse going full digital is nonsensical. Most of their money comes from collections and artbooks now

>IDW: Gone

They'll live. Somehow.

The idea for that thinking comes from the idea that a dollar now is worth more than a dollar in the future (because of inflation). Naturally, this leads to extreme short-term thinking and all the disastrous decisions we've seen.

There own website says otherwise.

digital.darkhorse.com/pages/series

Yes they put out floppies but their collections is what makes the most money, like the recent Berserk one

They'll just release those via regular book distribution.

Yeah, so they won’t ever go pure digital. They have tons of children’s books and art books too, and no one buys those digital

Japan's actual comic industry is still going strong. Why has America's practically pocket hobby sector collapsing?

Parents might just to park their kids in front of an ipad until schools open back up.

JIT logistics is actually really important. It reduces the capital requirements of companies and is really quite useful for healthy concerns.

The problem is overleveraging in conjunction with JIT. Then you're basically trying to outrun the giant stone ball at all times, and one misstep means you're dead.

>one misstep means you're dead
You mean as in right now?

Now can we update or acknowledge digital sales?

Attached: Lotad.gif (498x268, 765.45K)

A big part is Japan’s cultural sensibilities placing value on owning physical media. There’s plenty of stores in Japan where you can buy mint condition consoles like the NES or whatever they called it there due to how they take care of the things they own. Floppies in the US for the longest time were made with the same stuff as newspapers, which associated them with disposability, even as they made the change.

>the NES or whatever they called it there

The Famicom.

>went to culinary school
>doesn't know that restaurants shut down faster than most businesses

What company are you going to miss the most? Dynamite always did cool stuff with classic characters.

youtu.be/bq54jb_5WCI

Digital has been pushed back a month, with Diamond about to shut down for good, all the major players will go digital only.

They can still sell meals for customers to carry out or deliver.

I've been thinking lately that I don't understand why they don't all do anthologies like Shonen Jump? You could have like a monthly Detective Comics (Detective Comics, Batman, Batgirl, Catwoman, etc), an Action Comics for the Superman side, then a Justice League book for crossovers and whatnot. Sell them for 15 bucks everywhere.

Yeah, that helps with trades perhaps but the anthology imprints are all considered disposable, with people throwing them out after reading them and recylcing them for the most part.

Shut up Boco.

Because for some reason apparently the US is too big for it to work which is the most common reason cited for when this is brought up constantly, despite anthology books working everywhere else in the world.

Its short for 'Family Computer'.

To be fair, Shonen Jump stopped printing in the US (at least last I heard). Though that could be chalked up to the fact that US manga readers either are used to waiting for the new volume or go to pirating sites to get the new chapters sometimes even before the Nips do.

Dynamite could sell direct to customer or go into crowdfunding as they have worked with evs already.

>go to pirating sites to get the new chapters sometimes even before the Nips do.
Its this. US manga readers have little patience.

They dont work, because you get 75% shit you wont read, so you feel like paying for series you dont want.
Dont know if this is a mindset, greedy company decision to sell unwanted comics or if manga is just 80% the same that you dont get series that you dislike.

>despite anthology books working everywhere else in the world.
Outside of 2000 AD and the japanese market, no, they don't.

I mean, with how clueless and dumb CEO's like Trump turned out to be...

Then it's time to fix that.

I'm so fucking sick of the "well anthologies didn't work here so lets just blame it on "cultural expectations" or some shit and keep doing business as usual.

Why is it so difficult for anyone to analyze why something didn't work, adjust, and try it again? There's literally no better time than right now that the bottom is about to fall out on the North American Comics Industry.

That was how it used to be. Pick up some older comics, and you'll see books with multiple stories, ads, and even some short stories. I wasn't around when it all happened, but the industry slowly changed over time that led it to where it is now.

If you're asking why they don't do it now, I think they did try magazines at some point. Not sure if it sold, but having the burden of having to buy back unsold issues makes not wanting to take the risk understandable.

He means in general, not specific to the covid shit.

Restaurants have a much higher fail rate than other brick and mortar businesses.

I’m not too familiar with how Jump is doing, but I have been hearing that the magazine is trying to push lesser known series since One Piece’s current arc is throwing up flags that the end is just over the horizon. Without One Piece I don’t know what Jump will do, since they’re other breakout hit Demon Slayer is close to ending too.