Meet Punchline: The Joker's New Partner and the "Anti-Harley Quinn"

>Batman famously has the greatest rogues gallery in pop culture, so when there’s a high-profile new addition, it’s a big deal. And fans were suitably excited to get their first glimpse of Punchline—the Joker’s new partner in chaos—in February’s Batman #89, which has already gone back for a third printing.

>Punchline has inspired waves of social media buzz and reader speculation, and is set to make a major impact on “The Joker War,” which starts in Batman #95. But before that, Punchline has her most significant appearance yet in a “you knew it had to happen” face-off against Harley Quinn in Batman #92 and #93, as current story arc “Their Dark Designs” heads to its twisty climax.

>As Punchline steps out of the shadows and continues to captivate Bat-fans, DC Nation talked to the character’s creators—Batman series writer James Tynion IV and artist Jorge Jimenez—for their insight on how the “anti-Harley Quinn” came to life.

Attached: 90263379_316566969302988_3134582967747006004_n.jpg (1080x1350, 198.83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2020/03/25/harley-quinn-punchline-fight-tops-advance-reorders/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>James Tynion IV

>“I think my favorite trope in all of super-villainy has to be the idea of the henchman. There's always something so eerie about the followers of a truly dangerous person. They raise all sorts of questions of what kind of person would go to work for a lunatic like the Joker. And my favorite character of all has always been the number two...the underboss, helping organize the henchmen and direct them for the final attack. A foil for the super-villain. The character they bounce their horrifying plans off of.

>“Years ago, Harley was in that role in Joker's gang, but she's never going back. I wanted to have a character to bounce off of the Joker, and work as a foil for him in a radically different way than Harley Quinn. Why is she in this game? What is her relationship with the Joker? What does she think about Harley Quinn? We'll be answering all of that and more as the story progresses. Stay tuned!”

Yeah great.
People are getting sick of Harley Quinn.
The solution is obviously to introduce a new Harley Quinn.

This is why US comics deserve to die as a medium.

>Jorge Jimenez

>"As soon as I read the description, I was very clear on what I wanted to do: the anti-Harley Quinn. Could there be anything more fun? I added freckles that give personality to her face, and I have noticed that it is fashionable in makeup to place a point just below the eye, and I thought it would be super cool to add this to her cold and tenebrous look. As soon as I finished the drawing, I felt that this was just what James was looking for, and I was very happy when I found out that I was right.

>“I’m looking forward to seeing how it works when it comes to life in comics, cartoons…and I think I'd love to see cosplay and action figures of this!”

Attached: BM_92_punchline_5e7a8b7c06b967.69483414.jpg (700x1063, 304.52K)

I don't mind Joker having a piece of arm candy to act as muscle and abuse fodder. I doubt it will be a romantic angle again right?

Hope she sticks to being a mime

>the torn boob
SEX APPEAL SELLS IN MARKET OF SWEATY NERDS THIS JUST IN

>Okay, so retailers may not entirely sure what they are advance reordering for. Of for when. With distributors, printers and stores closed. But they have been doing it anyway. Here are a bunch of advance reorders from this past week… and it all seems to be about Batman, the Punchline/Harley Quinn fight and the Joker War
bleedingcool.com/2020/03/25/harley-quinn-punchline-fight-tops-advance-reorders/

Attached: 90524027_551774275721658_2769881895347353656_n.jpg (1080x1080, 143.07K)

>people are getting sick of harley quinn
The only place I ever really see anti-harley sentiment is here and it's usually anti-feminists angry that feminist like Harley.

She's not a mime and Tynion is actually giving her a lot of dialogue.

>The only place I ever really see anti-harley sentiment is here
Where else would you see it, you dumb fucking retard. It's not like you ever leave the basement.

>Where else would you see it
Anywhere else but here?

Non shipperfags are tired of Harley.

Attached: 90755438_310051129971652_2283700579353159330_n.jpg (1080x1350, 174.61K)

Are they tho?

Cutie/10

i personally dislike harley being an anti-hero and i liked her more when she was a villain

>i liked her more when she was a villain
Why?

She cute.

What’s with this guy showing up in every thread hoping comics die?

Because she still does villain things but for some reason she's still called a hero

>Because she still does villain things
If that's true then why don't you like her now?
Also you did not actually clarify what villain things are.

People are getting sick of what Harley has become more than anything

How is Harley still a villain?

Pretty much. Dykes trying to claim her and Ivy under anything with a comment section is the viper den in which Harley has fallen. None of her current fanbase cares a lick unless she's scissoring Pam at this point. More casual and broader audiences want more crazy love with her and Joker, as seen in SS and not in flopping BoP. Doesnt help that her current character is little more than Deadpool with tits.

Attached: IMG_20200320_222553.jpg (1080x1350, 146.92K)

>the Joker War
what's even going on

You keep trying to create this appearance of plurality by saying people but aren't you anti-harley quinn crowd actually the minority here?

And there goes all my interest

Meant for

How asshurt will tumblr/twitter be when this finally hits shelves?

Attached: 1585013933390.jpg (600x565, 176.3K)

Oh well in that case.
is full of shit.

It's like the Star War, only with jokers instead of stars

What if the comic is shit? Are you gonna swallow shit just to spite your imaginary enemies?

You missed a lot of fun on twitter, bro.

stop making threads about this
I will never care

Nah.

MILKY

>stop making threads about this
No.

>I will never care
Okay.

Attached: ET2upOYWAAAAijT.jpg (500x568, 48.75K)

Take a rest user

I just wished you can COOM to Punchline while also admitting that giving the joker another girlfriend and pitting her against his ex in an artificial rivarly is a bullshit hack move.

Link

Sure, but literally 75% of modern comics are bullshit hack moves, it's redundant to even bring up and makes you look like a newfag for thinking its some revelation

Punchlinefags lose all right to criticize other writers when you're nose deep in Tynion's pubes.

pretending it's ok is not better

Harley is pretty garbo. Replacing her should have happened ages ago, if only to sap any waning relevance she had left due to the connection.

Attached: IMG_20200323_052142.jpg (674x1024, 176.3K)

I agree with him though. The majority of Harley’s modern fanbase are casuals and lesbian shippers.

It's just Harley fags trying their best not to seethe

>asian with color streaks again
Is this really that common in asian americans? Didn't they kick a fuss when they did it in Deadpool 2?

So you don't read comics and think Harley quinn rely on her connection to the joker for success.

I've never seen it irl

>trade in white basic bitch juggalo for big tiddie asian goth gf
Sounds like good deal.

She is not asian.

Not him, but what do you even like about current Harley? The forced victimhood/babbys first female empowerment angle? Or just the oh so original 4th wall breaking humor?

>what do you even like about current Harley?
The same things I like about old Harley as a cute and fun badass. I never liked her because she was the Joker's gf and that's something Tynion doesn't get because he's a hack writer.

What the hell is she? We all assumed Asian. Asian mixed with....Russian?

>cute bad ass
So literally nothing then.

Not him, but you REALLY come off as a pissy Harleyfag mad she got beaten in a fight.

Oh no no no.
How will Harley ever recover?

Attached: MISTAH J PIN.jpg (663x1024, 291.29K)

Attached: 1585099711243.jpg (650x1000, 221.31K)

As oppose to Punchline, who makes you COOOM.

What more do you want?

HarleyIvy shippers in ruins over Joker chad

Attached: IMG_20200314_162518.jpg (2048x1536, 435.74K)

I feel like an impulsive woman child is the last thing you'd want to associate with feminism

Only dumb assholes on Yas Forums think because feminists like Harley quinn that they're trying to make her their mascot.
Don't be another dumb asshole on Yas Forums.

Not if you consider being an impulsive woman child empowering,which is what they do.

Attached: IMG_20200226_195552.jpg (1080x718, 88.24K)

Because that's what they are really

Attached: IMG_20200227_015858.jpg (2048x1445, 309.34K)

it's about tone.
If someone is doing villainous things but how it's portrayed by the art and writing tries to frame it as heroic, it creates a retarded disconnection.

Well what villainous things are trying to be passed off as heroic user?

Probably Russian. Russians on twitter say she looks like of their traditional dolls.