I always thought gargoyles being stone by day was a mythology thing

I always thought gargoyles being stone by day was a mythology thing
Didn't know Weisman made that part up

Attached: MV5BZGE1OTY0YTMtZTJkZC00ODA2LWIxYjctZmUxMDA5MjI3ZWExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR68,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg (630x1200, 131.29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargoyle#Legend_of_the_Gargouille
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Would Jordan Peele do a live action movie justice?

I thought that too when I was a kid. I was surprised to find out there are very few actual myths about gargoyles.

There were a few horror comics from the 50s I've seen using that concept. It's really not that hard of a thing to imagine.

Attached: mt127.jpg (400x577, 73.91K)

>I was surprised to find out there are very few actual myths about gargoyles
Because they're sculptures. The idea of a gargoyle as a creature rather than an architectural feature is modern, I want to say probably D&D. It would be like there being mythology about statues.

Doesn't the Japanese Shisa have actual myths to them despite playing the same role as western gargoyles?

The only example I can think of is King Shisa/King Caesar from "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla"

It's earlier than that, 1920s horror stories. I think Lovecraft or one of his contemporaries did one about a demonic gargoyle statue.

The 1970s and 80s had a few movies, and a comic, about living gargoyles, but I'm not sure where the comics are placed chronologically against D&D Gargoyles.

Pretty much King Caesar himself isn't a figure in Japanese mythology

I think it was Clark Ashton Smith, a lot of his ideas cropped up in D&D. I can't remember what story though.

There was also a Spectre villain called Oom who also came to life during moonlight but was a statue during the day, but he may not count since he was an alien.

>The idea of a gargoyle as a creature rather than an architectural feature is modern
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargoyle#Legend_of_the_Gargouille
It's way older than that,

I always loved that Gargoyles look like scary demons but that's only to frighten away actual demons.

I don't know about that, but I think one interesting fact about gargoyles it that nobody actually knows the origin of churches having their waterspouts carved into the shape of, in many cases, demonic looking creatures. There are hypotheses, but nobody knows for sure.

Supposedly it was to either scare off evil spirits or to make recently converted pagans feel at home.

Fuck it, let's have a gargoyle horror comics story time.

Attached: mt1271.jpg (1024x1558, 856.27K)

Attached: mt1272.jpg (1024x1471, 843.17K)

I was actually in the process of reading that issue posted earlier
Man, that vampire in the beginning was a fucking idiot I laughed

Attached: mt1273.jpg (1024x1475, 829.57K)

That's the one I was thinking of! Thank you!

Attached: mt1274.jpg (1024x1466, 860.92K)

Attached: mt1275.jpg (1024x1457, 814.83K)

The architectural feature and that legend share a name (as wiki explains, it just means "throat") but they're otherwise unrelated. The carvings weren't supposed to be a representation of that creature, and the creature wasn't supposed to have been one of the carvings.

Attached: st741.jpg (1006x1513, 437.7K)

They were debating the origins of gargoyles even back then. Man, I wish I could afford to travel to remote Asia just for a fucking 10 page paper.

Attached: st742.jpg (1006x1513, 481.21K)

pretty much. The Dragon got its name added to the architecture, and it wasn't until the 20th century that they came alive.

The podcast Monstertalk has an episode on Gargoyles.

Attached: st743.jpg (1006x1513, 456.59K)

Attached: st744.jpg (1006x1513, 517.34K)

Attached: st745.jpg (998x1613, 768.58K)

Attached: st746.jpg (981x1613, 797.06K)

Attached: st747.jpg (981x1513, 502.51K)

Thanks for the storytimes

Attached: jim541.jpg (1000x1468, 698.87K)

Attached: jim542.jpg (1000x1460, 766.34K)

Attached: jim543.jpg (1000x1460, 793.61K)

This fits the ending of Gorgolla rather well.

Attached: jim544.jpg (1000x1488, 795.78K)

>Let your Gargoyle dad murder multiple people
>Confide in him that you murdered your old wife
>He tries to murder your new wife right in front of you
>Shoot him
>He gets moralfaggy about you being a murderer before he dies
Georges and his dad have a weird relationship.

You're welcome.

Attached: garg.jpg (533x800, 147.1K)

Who wins in a shoot off?

Attached: Shoot to win.jpg (992x374, 88.32K)

Well Broadway actually hit someone soooo.

No. The appeal of Gargoyle is the long-running developing plotline. That's what differentiates it from other creature hero team shows (aside from the high production quality, writing, and VA). No movie could do it justice.

Gargoyles' 25th anniversary was last year
Not a single thread was made

Broadway would give Jimmy a hug and let him cry it out against his sweet bara belly.

Disney didn't give a shit either.

Yeah that Jordan Peele pitch went nowhere
They already did a KP movie and are in the process of reviving the fucking Proud Family
What's holding Gargoyles back?
I'm watching it for the first time and its enjoyable
It lasted three seasons so it wasn't a bust
Was it overshadowed back then or something?

You guys know Weisman didn't create Gargoyles right? Michael Reaves created it, Weisman just stole credit. The only episodes Weisman wrote were one episode in season three and he only joined the creative team six episode into season 1. His contribution to the series is overblown thanks to him muscling Reaves out by the time of the third season, which is why season 3 is so terrible.

Wasn't Weisman the one who pitched it?

multiple people pitched many different projects under the name 'Gargoyles'. His one was the gummi bear spin off that went no where. He gets credit because he was a Disney executive that attached himself to the project six episodes in.

>His one was the gummi bear spin off that went no where
Source?

There's three main theories as to why Disney doesn't treat Gargoyles as good as its other series.
>It just isn't on most peoples minds who are in charge.
This is the most common and probably reason. Remember that Gummi Bears, Tale Spin, Mighty Ducks, and few other Disney Afternoon shows don't get much love either. Gargoyles stands out though because it's seen as having higher quality than the rest.
>There's too many episodes where the Twin Towers can be seen.
A less likely example but still probably. A show made pre-9/11 that's featured in New York tends to be seen as inappropriate for certain reasons.Even though it's nearly been 20 years since the Twin Towers fell, people still feel uncomfortable that those things.
>The DVD's didn't sell.
December 4th 2004 was when the first season of Gargoyles was released on DVD. December 5th of 2005 was when the first half of season 2 was released.
It would be eight years before the second half of season 2 was released in 2013. The drop people buying the first half of the second season most likely was the reason that the people in charge of Disney decided that Gargoyles wasn't worth it.
The picture I provide is the ratings that Gargoyles was pulling at the time of it's airing. It's highest was 8.9. If even half of the people who had watched it had bought DVD's then there's no way that Disney would've held of 8 years on the second half a season.
The truth is that while Gargoyles is a fun, and well thought out show, it wasn't popular enough for Disney.

Attached: screenshot-www.ratingraph.com-2020-03-09-02-37-26-623.png (3792x1370, 225.06K)

Do you have to ask? Really? FPWP.

Attached: 1583636656252.png (1093x601, 779.75K)

>FPWP
>no substance in this post

Tell us how you really feel, dumb redditor.

In Europe it is said that gargoyles come to life to fight demons and witches if they are near churches. They also punish drunkards.

Attached: Rochelle_Goyle™.png (845x1920, 891.21K)

I want a cute Gargoyle girlfriend that snuggles into my bed, every night.

What does substance have to do with anything? Merely asking if that talentless negro could make a good Gargoyles adaptation instantly makes the post the worst in the thread.

Attached: 1528231217085.jpg (1080x1080, 118.99K)

>What's holding Gargoyles back?

The fact that it was mostly derivative of better shows that it was competing against during Saturday Morning. (Batman, X-Men, Spider-Man, TMNT, Power Rangers, etc)

I'm a little into S2 and I'm disappointed that the most memorable villains so far are Xanatos and his assistant who's little more than Diet Wesley. Shame, since the medieval parts have interesting characters but are just as underdeveloped as the modern settings.

>does nothing but defend his useless posts

ok, redditard

I enjoyed the twist with the assistant's storyline.

user, don't be so mad I dissed your favourite negro. You're just spewing words at this point. This is the last (you) that I'll spare.

Attached: 1510413828159.jpg (539x464, 17.09K)

Attached: tumblr_nss3upmI441ra69eso1_1280.jpg (1277x1275, 396.2K)

One of my favorite lesser known characters is an Etrigan ripoff known as the Gargoyle.

Attached: 8D07AB02-3B83-40DC-BAA3-332242F3FF90.jpg (600x926, 135.43K)

>The fact that it was mostly derivative of better shows that it was competing against during Saturday Morning. (Batman, X-Men, Spider-Man, TMNT, Power Rangers, etc)

Gargoyles was miles better than any of those shows ( except batman, which is still on the same level), your an idiot if you think tmnt was a better show.
The reason gargoyles didn’t do as well was because of disney, it didn’t fit their sugary brand, the show was way to good for them

That rating is unreasonable, the 1980s tmnt is heavily in the 9/10s when that was just a shitty toy commercial

I asked marina sirtis and she said the higher ups had no idea what the content was when the show was airing,