BATMAN #90 Storytime

Designer time!

Attached: Batman 090-000.jpg (1988x3056, 1.41M)

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2020/02/17/the-designer-should-also-be-the-devil-james-tynion-iv-and-jorge-jimenezs-designs-on-the-designer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: Batman 090-002.jpg (1988x3056, 1.21M)

Attached: Batman 090-003.jpg (1988x3056, 1.18M)

Attached: Batman 090-004.jpg (1988x3056, 1.34M)

Harley looks hot as fuck here.
Still hate everything about her character and involvement in the story.

Attached: Batman 090-005.jpg (1988x3056, 1.22M)

Attached: Batman 090-006.jpg (1988x3056, 1006.65K)

Attached: Batman 090-007.jpg (3975x3056, 2.43M)

Attached: Batman 090-008.jpg (1988x3056, 1.21M)

Attached: Batman 090-009.jpg (1988x3056, 1.33M)

Can this guy just pick one aesthetic please?

Attached: Batman 090-010.jpg (1988x3056, 1.3M)

>Bat
>Cat
Wait, wrong run.

Attached: Batman 090-011.jpg (1988x3056, 1.26M)

Attached: Batman 090-012.jpg (1988x3056, 1.15M)

That's some distinctive facial markings on the person in white, but I don't recognize it beyond being vaguely clownish.

Attached: Batman 090-013.jpg (1988x3056, 1.34M)

Attached: Batman 090-014.jpg (1988x3056, 1.26M)

Of course The Joker broke The Designer.

Attached: Batman 090-015.jpg (1988x3056, 1.33M)

>the costumes
>Joker's personality
>Batman and robin
Bring me back, please. These 4 pages or so are leagues better than anything King has made in the last 5 years.

Attached: Batman 090-016.jpg (3975x3056, 2.7M)

For once, I don't really see this as Joker-wank, but rather what would happen when someone tries to "optimize" the plans of someone who is completely insane and doesn't really have much goals beyond being the biggest asshole possible.

Does Zorro have/has a nemesis and does DC has to right to it?

Yeah, I didn't see it as Joker-wank either.

Attached: Batman 090-017.jpg (1988x3056, 1.28M)

Attached: Batman 090-018.jpg (1988x3056, 1.28M)

panel 2 is such a subtle 'fuck you Tom'

Last page.
Give me Punchline REEEEEEEEE

>fuck you and your "Bat. Cat."
Based.

Attached: Batman 090-019.jpg (1988x3056, 1.28M)

The first panels are surprisingly cute showing Penguin, Riddler, and Catwoman just having a friendly and animated conversation, and serves as a good contrast to where they are now.

It's so good to read Batman acting like Batman again.

>COMPLEX

Attached: 1583269196725.jpg (1280x1440, 403.4K)

Good issue.

After taking a look at the solicitations for future Batman issues and for Catwoman's solo book I'm pretty sure we're heading towards a breakup.

King's stuff won't be canon so that's also not reason to keep them together.

Batman is back

Wait, isn't Selina pregnant?

Not canon

No, that was just King teasing his non-canon Catwoman 80th anniversary issue story on twitter to bait shippers.

Thanks lads. I don't really care about BatCat (even though they're tolerable when King isn't involved) but I find it hard to believe they'll break them up again. We'll see.

Honestly I was worried about this artist. Some of his Justice League work was a little lacking compared to his work before hand but this issue he is back in absolutely top form. The heavier use of blacks and shadows helps.

Batman never stays in a commited relationship for long, he's not Clark.
This wasn't a question of if but when.

And Catwoman's solo book in May has her leaving Gotham to do heists again and Batman is alone. Go figure.

disgusting.

Yep.

That was better than the previous chapters.
Thanks for the storytime

I know I read the previous issue yet I cant recall why is harley here and helping

im so tired of her

So that she can seethe when Punchline shows up.
No, seriously, she popped up out of nowhere to help Selina.

Best Car costume outside silver age

huh, i actually enjoyed this

>Designer
>costume looks like shit

I hate the fact that I want to coom over her face

Well, he's not a costume designer.

He is supposed to look like a metal gear character, I think that explains a lot.

Attached: ul743rek1a331.jpg (1438x818, 99.47K)

I st\ll think The Designer is Per Degaton.

I don't think Metal Gear ever went this retarded with character design.

I've recently reevaluated Jimenez for reasons.

Attached: 82588564_911010132678626_377244202722009653_n.jpg (1080x1350, 143.86K)

>I'm a Coomer for anti-Harley, won't you join me and buy many copies?

This is the content I have been looking forward to ever since King gave up the mantle. No long convoluted plots that go nowhere, no bizarre leaps, no super grimdarkness. We see how each character plays off of each other. Everyone behaves as you'd expect them to be. Riddler is allowed one SECOND of adoreableness in this because he's not carving something in his chest. Penguin just physically obliterates those people ala The Batman (and I think he's protecting Riddler,) Joker is the storm brewing, Catwoman is still the distant independent party.

Yes this is what I like in a Batman comic.

This actually feels like Batman. Hell Im actually invested as to who Designer is

the only thing Catwoman is tearing up is my enthusiasm.

Attached: yes.png (680x709, 243.33K)

Lmao, Tynion just btfoed his own OC
The artist has really outdone himself with this issue, it actually somehow looks good. Also a nice "fuck you" to King with them using each other's names like us human beings tend to do
>sees into the future
Per Degaton, i'm guessing
The birth of the first ever "why doesn't Batman kill The Joker"fag. Also, Oswald, Selina & Nygma a cute.
Penguin, what the hell are you even doing?
Fuuuuck why is classic Catwoman so perfect?
The art on this page is legitimately great. Also Joker is totally the "reborn" designer, I'm calling it now
Thanks for the storytime OP

MArvelfag here. What is the issue of Punchline?

She's on Batman #92 cover, but she'll probably be in #91.

Attached: 88203640_213659066679585_2999254486724212780_n.jpg (1080x1350, 257.73K)

Isn't he like 5'4? I can see why it makes sense, but The Designer seems taller.

looking forward for more. neato.

Next issue then . Thank you .

Per Degaton has literally had new bodies made for himself in the past. It's like saying someone can't be Kang or Doom or Red Skull because the height is off.

I know we're setting the stage for Bruce to be replaced in 5G but I'd really appreciate it if we don't have "Batman But With No Money"

Are they still replacing him?
The last things I heard about 5g made it sound a lot less serious.

I don't think Bruce will be completely replaced, especially after Didio was booted out.

She’s already briefly appeared in 89, and in Hell Arisen 3

They were never gonna replace him in the first place genius.

>that sexy lip bite.

Fuck, I'm gonna COOOOM.

After replacing him with Azrael, Dick and Jim, why not?
We all know he's going to come back but it wouldn't have been the first time he got replaced.

>Batman #91
>To save Gotham City, Catwoman will have to commit the greatest heist in the city's history! But hot on her trail are the Penguin, the Riddler, a horde of assassins, and the master criminal called the Designer! And the most dangerous person standing in her way is the man she's trying to save: Batman. And what complications will his arise from his new sidekick, Harley Quinn?
>his new sidekick, Harley Quinn?
It's all so tiresome.

>>I'm a Coomer for anti-Harley
Implying that that's at all a bad thing to be.

Attached: sunspot.jpg (343x916, 37.17K)

We sure this isn’t Doctor Death?

can morey please pick a fucking color for the cape and cowl? Blue sheen black or purple sheen black, you cannot do both.

Shut up. Nobody thinks it would have been permanent.

The crazy eyes make it.

Yeah, I'm betting Joker and Designer are both in on it.

This run is surprisingly not terrible.

ITS THE CARPENTER’S DAD

this. the design is clearly a LONG game play.

So Designer called them all to his home to see who was the best investment, used each of them for a grander endgame, and decided Joker was the best recipient to reap the rewards? Sounds like a stupid investment to me. But why the fixation on the dead? The talking corpses? Taratarus House?

Please fucking stop with the New 52 Robin costume. I don't remember who invented it but it looks like dogshit.
Based Joker.
Dat ass.
This isnt bad. Kind of fits Morrison's evolution of the Joker.

The Joker is quick to recognize lewdness.

Attached: 44.jpg (1080x1080, 131.96K)

Wait, that’s it? The Designer was just a different version of Zoom, essentially just the reverse in wanting to improve villains, and he single handedly was the person who helped to turn Joker to the modern serial killer version? Reads like fanfiction.

>Reads like fanfiction
You say that every time a writer does ANYTHING. And Joker was already a serial killer, Catwoman literally just commented about the casualties in that flashback

>tartarus house
Who wants to bet it's related to the House of Mystery?

I don’t see the connection. Hell we’re not even sure magic is in play

When you are 5 and your mom tells you to dess yourself.

The joker changed his mind about some things and he wants in on the joke. Or he's actually dead now.

I think everything else is just set dressing, he's a melange of supervillains.
You never played any of the side games.

Designer's clearly dead, Joker fucking decapitated him by gunshot. My money's on the og Designer being Degaton, & the "reborn" Designer being Joker in disguise, using the plans they all decided-on to distract Batman with a false threat while he does whatever all the stuff is with the razor wire in the teddy bears that they've been teasing the last two times he's appeared. I mean, this Designer shit ends real soon & straight after that comes Joker War, so I don't think the new "Designer" is anything important in the long run, makes more sense if he's just a Red Herring

that was pretty neat
thanks

>side games
Acid?

I’m not convinced. There’s a partnership here between Joker and Designer, but I don’t think he’s a red herring. Could he be the mayor?

>remember when Batman was fun?
>No time for nostagia

Original Joker was already a serial killer but still did crimes for money, etc. while this story clearly asserts that The Designer somehow inspired the Joker to become the current, ultimate evil psychopath version who only cares about murdering people in twisted ways for the sake of murdering them and laughing about it.

based

Attached: punchline a cute.png (1101x1479, 1.6M)

Nice goalpost move. Joker still kills for a joke, that much hasn’t changed

I think it's more that he saw what Joker would inevitably become earlier on & that made him realise his own potential for bloodlust, so he's more a catalyst if anything - speeding the escalation but not causing it

Copycats are a sweet gesture but one ought not ever meet their inspiration because they are likely doing it wrong in inspiration's eyes

>the Joker to become the current, ultimate evil psychopath version who only cares about murdering people in twisted ways for the sake of murdering them and laughing about it.
I've always seen the Joker as someone puts up a mirror to the world. Will it get him back his wife and kid? No! Maybe. Lets find out! (No). But it passes the time.

But the narrative here is that they all needed help to reach their full potential, something they wouldn’t otherwise have achieved because they were stuck playing the same old one step/counter step cat and mouse game. That is the point of the Designer’s personal story. It clearly is pushing the designer as the major catalyst for Joker turning into a full blown monster. And I dislike that it’s done via such a lazy retcon. This idea could work on lesser villains like Killer Moth, Magpie, etc. who are kinda jokes because then it wouldn’t rely on a massive backstory retcon that uses Batman’s most iconic villains.

The narrative was that Designer would give his Mary Sue resources & "financial backing" to help them become their modern selves early. Of course that never happened, because he didn't want to help Joker become what he is now & was killed for his troubles. They leave the house the exact same as they entered, but now Joker has the motivation to test his limits

I think we need to figure out whom the detective was Designer fought

Designer seems old, how many old master criminals are there? Has to be Vandal or R'as.

> It clearly is pushing the designer as the major catalyst for Joker turning into a full blown monster.

You got it backward. The Designer’s problem here is that Joker did not need his help.
Unlike the others, given time, he would reach his deadly zenith eventually.
And that disgusted the Designer so much he turned on all of them.
Look at the stories we had with Joker in recent years.
Even the upcoming Joker War had nothing to do with the Designer. It's Superman unmasking himself that drove the Joker to try his own version of that.
Like both Morrison and Tynion put it, the Joker adapts.

She is really cute. Her killer smile is so adorable.

Attached: 14.jpg (1427x2000, 626.79K)

Tynion said in an interview that the costume design was deliberate so. He's meant ot be a weird Final Fantasy boss thrown into the Batman world. Contrast is the point there.

Doubtful, neither of their m.o’s. Let’s break down what we know
>Old school criminal
>Adversary was a detective of some sort
>Attire implies military background
>D is ornate, almost as if it’s from his original name. Perhaps comes from wealth or royalty
So what does that tell us?
So what’s the in universe reason for the absurdity? If his costume is like his methods, each piece of clothing should clue us in on a bigger picture made of small parts

>So what’s the in universe reason for the absurdity?
Here you go
>The feel should be that THE DESIGNER is walking out of a different kind of comic book into Batman, a different aesthetic world entirely. There should be something eerie about The Joker, and The Penguin existing in the same space as this character. Something inherently WRONG about it. He is a different level of evil.
bleedingcool.com/2020/02/17/the-designer-should-also-be-the-devil-james-tynion-iv-and-jorge-jimenezs-designs-on-the-designer/

Also: Wait for this arc to conclude before making your own conclusions?

>He is a different level of evil.
This makes it seem more likely to me that he and the Joker faked his death together.

>a modern Batman issue that isn't dogshit
It's an abstract kind of feel.

Joker War is explained by this issue. Joker's Design is Endgam...err...Joker War. Batman will probably have to work with Designer and create his own good guy Design in order to stop Joker's.

Does the flashback happen before or after the War of Jokes and Riddles?

The argument for “before” is that Catwoman still has an antagonistic relationship with Batman, Joker isn’t a total edgelord yet, Joker and Riddler don’t hate each other and WOJAR wasn’t mentioned at all. Also Two-Face wasn’t invited by the Designer, so maybe he was still Harvey at this point? I’m guessing that Bane was certainly still a nobody in Santa Prisca.

The argument for “after” is that Penguin is a crime boss in his own right here instead of being a Falcone lackey, the Falcone’s don’t seem to be around anymore and Robin is in the picture.

WOJAR was in Batman’s second year. Any ideas when this flashback takes place?

I’m curious about the reference to Joker’s attack on the TV studio, was that something specific that happened in a prior story?

>in case Harley kills fucking Deathstroke

are you fucking kidding me

Do you really think that a guy who has zombie slaves, fought "Zorro" and has a massive floating magic house on the middle of the river can be killed by gunshot? Designer is clearly some sort of magic user or the whole thing was staged by Joker himself in order to get his rivals' best plans and use them against them in case they messed with him/Batman, like Selina now that she's his girlfriend.

So he shouldn’t be, he’s almost alien to Gotham. The corpse puppets should be a big clue, somehow. I almost want to say this is Alfred, and the true grand design was pushing Bruce to be the next mayor of Gotham so he can shape it to his own vision

I can understand why the Joker doesn't give a fuck who's under the mask, but what about the others? Least you could do is take off his mask.

This probably took place right before WOJAR. That story had massive casualties and Selina mentions how she didn't like that Joker actually left dead people in his wake after an attack on a tv studio.

Less we acknowledge King’s run, the better
What’s the problem? It shows Batman still doesn’t fully trust Harley. She is insane after all

Also random thought; why wasn’t Scarecrow invited to the party?

Thanks, OP.

Musketeer? Slam Bradley?

I guess a strange sense of respect since he’s meant to be a legend? Penguin certainly still respects him.

What’s the problem? She’s not facing him in combat, she’s shooting at him with drones while he’s riding a motorcycle at high speed. She’s trying to hit his eye. That could kill anyone. And Batman didn’t say that she WOULD kill him, he’s just cautious in case she might. I feel like you’re really stretching for a reason to complain here. Is it really unreasonable to suggest that Harley with dozens of drones MIGHT go overboard and kill him while on a high speed chase? What do you think should happens if she nails him in the eye and sends him off the bike while he’s going over a bridge or something? That doesn’t mean that Harley is “better” than him. She just has him in a really shit situation that could easily go wrong and Bruce is just being cautious of it.

It's clearly trying to ape the 60s Batman movie. These are supposed to be the "big four" villains.

>Gamer gf

I think you’re probably right. The continuity doesn’t match up with Penguin being there though. He was still a low level Falcone lackey at this point. Also, Robin was never mentioned in WOJAR.

just like in my chinese cartoons

I was thinking Bradley too. Let’s look there

Kingshit isn't canon anymore.

Sure sounds like something he'd say.

Fuck that whole storyline. Can't believe that King replaced Long Halloween with that garbage just like Snyder replaced Year One with Zero Year. Fuck me, even Year Two was a better year two Batman story.
The tv studio thing could just be a reference to the Joker film, or DKR.
So its Tynion's version of the Outsider? Alfred dies and becomes a master villain?

>why wasn’t Scarecrow invited

If this is early enough in Batman’s career, it’s possible that Jonathon Crane wasn’t even a villain at this point yet. That’s why I assume Two Face wasn’t invited either -Harvey was probably still DA. Long Halloween happened in Batman’s second year, this flashback was probably prior to that.

I’d imagine there are quite a few villains that Designer would have interested in who aren’t around yet. Bane is still in Santa Prisca, Dent is probably still DA, Ras is around but hasn’t met Batman yet (and could be argued to already be in his final form).

Also, you could argue that Joker, Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman made it onto the Designer’s radar for being the most ambitious and publicly visible villains with the most room for “evolving”. Take Mr. Freeze for example -he’s a big name villain, sure. But what room is there for him to evolve into after he’s saved his wife? Designer might be able to fast-track that, but then what? Saving his wife is Freeze’s entire thing, and there isn’t much more to him beyond that. So I doubt Freeze would interest the Designer.

I’d argue that Scarecrow possible wasn’t around yet, but even if he was, it’s possible he’s not on Designer’s radar.

But isn’t Crane early years too? Dent I can understand

Playing loose with the continuity may be the point. It could just be a classic list of soon to be established masterminds post year one.

Crane wasn’t in the 60s show with the other 4, so people usually don’t associate him with Golden Era Batman

Attached: AC9AAF28-60AE-4FDE-BE86-204C8045A5A1.jpg (1600x1230, 704.34K)

To my knowledge, the timing of Crane’s origin is a bit of a fuck up.

Crane is already Scarecrow in the Long Halloween, -yet in Scarecrow’s origin story Dent is already Two Face. Scarecrow and Two Face somehow BOTH predate each other in their origin stories and there is no way to reconcile it.

Long Halloween is firmly set in Batman’s second year with no wiggle room, but to my knowledge there aren’t any major Scarecrow stories that HAVE to take place early in Batman’s career, so I guess you could place Scarecrow’s origin pretty much anywhere in those early years?

>Harley Quinn a thicc
>Harley Quinn on the Playstation 4

Best girl, but why is she in the mix?

I remember back in the day there was a bunch or OC of Harley becoming Batman's sidekick and everyone loved it.

Talk about a monkey's paw.

This is actually a clever premise. And execution.

I think the Robin scene in #90 was just Catwoman going over how Batman and Gotham crime changed over time. Like it started dark with the mafia families, then Batman brought a new more thrill-seeking and creative criminals to prominence (when the flashback took place), and Robin softened the Bat, which is what Selina was talking about. The problem with this whole thing is that DC has mixed The New 52 and post-Crisis into a chaotic continuity soup. N52 timeline is Zero Year with the Red Hood Gang being the big crime leaders Selina says the Falcone family was, then WOJAR. However now we have the Year One timeline added and it makes everything lack sense.

Scarecrow is a meme character as far as villains go. He literally has no good stories where he's the main villain. He's only relevant from the movies and TV shows.

Hes got.....Scarecrow Year One. Yeah that’s about it. Crane is a one hit wonder of gassing people and yelling BOO

No Man’s Land, Batman: Arkham, Batman Adventures, Scarecrow Year One, Joker’s Asylum, Kings of Fear

Tynion IV is so goddamn boring

What would happen if the Designer met with other villains and helped them fast-track their potential to their final forms?

I’m guessing if he did meet with Scarecrow, they’d come up with something like the Arkham Knight game where he’s got control over the entire city via Fear Gas.

With Bane, he could have suggested something like City of Bane except it would have taken place way back in Knightfall. Maybe even helped him to quit the Venom.

With Lex Luthor, could the Designer have fast-tracked his transformation into Apex Lex?

Because reasons.

Harley Quinn on the playstation.
What racial slurs will she say?

she legit looks like she's straight out of a porn comic with that face

Looks like a Jimenez thing .

punchline is so much hotter than harley ngl

>wired controller
Silly boomers

wired>wireless you silly zoomer

>I don't think Metal Gear ever went this retarded with character design.

Attached: 1548958862052.gif (300x225, 1.75M)