Blondie used to be a more serious soap opera type strip

>Blondie used to be a more serious soap opera type strip
>it was at one time the most popular comic strip in America
>Blondie and Dagwood didn’t get married until the 3rd year of the comic strip, and it was a significant media event
>there was a series of fourteen (14) Blondie movies made from 1938-1950
Holy shit, I always thought it was some lame strip about a guy who likes to eat and sleep a lot. I didn’t know it was once a cultural force
Anyone got any good link to read original Blondie strips from the 30s?

Attached: CCA30F17-E719-4733-8E3A-0C1696CCD82D.jpg (450x419, 140.37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

comicstriplibrary.org/
amazon.com/Blondie-Complete-Bumstead-Family-History/dp/140160322X
youtu.be/hclK-UKJNgk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_(comic_strip)
mentalfloss.com/article/541363/facts-about-little-orphan-annie-comic-strip
edgarriceburroughs.com/comics/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Blondie was such a beauty.

I don't know what's with the influx of old-time comic strip threads but I am here for it.

Attached: zipmlad.png (306x332, 123.11K)

The complete courtship and wedding sequence, including Dagwood's huger strike' is in "100 years of Comic Strips" by Blackbeard et al.

>Hunger strike

WTF?!?

>>Blondie used to be a more serious soap opera type strip
Not really. It was more of a serialized romantic comedy. There were dramatic elements but it was still a comedy strip. There were arcs like Blondie and Dagwood trying to elope or going to college and an even longer one where Blondie has a romance with someone else. Even the hunger strike made sure to have a gag every strip.

For the complete story of the entire early series, Chic Young's Blondie from the Library of American Comics has everything, including the original promotional material for the strip that described Blondie as not a flapper and a Blondie paper doll they sent editors.

The complete Little Nemo and other strips by Winsor McCay free at comicstriplibrary.org/

Fucking Snuffy Smith used to be huge. He had his own movie.

He wasn't even the main character when it started, he took it over because of how popular he was.

FUCKING SNUFFY SMITH.

Dagwood's fabulously wealthy parents wouldn't let him marry Blondie Boopadoop.
He resolved not to eat until they gave in.
Nearly killed him.
This is the 20th day. It ended a week later.
They gave permission finally but disinherited him.

Interestingly, the auction site I took this from says pencils and inks by Alex Raymond (later, creator of Flash Gordon, Jungle Jim, and Rip Kirby) and only the writing is by Chic Young.

Attached: 20th day of Hunger Strike.jpg (1587x362, 299.41K)

Every artist drew her proportions juuust shittily enough that she always looks a bit uncanny to me.

>Blondie Boopadoop

It's funny how this stuff gets overlooked on this board. These strips are long running, still in print, a lot of them still getting new weekly material, but no one seems to notice them

This is where Dagwood introduced her to his folks.
Guess she didn't make a good first impression.

Attached: Blondie 1930-09-08 First meeting.jpg (896x209, 88.53K)

Lmao. Old Blondie is great

This board never was a good place to discuss comics, alas.

>there was a time when Blondie and Dagwood actually looked like they belonged in the same comic

It's such a shame. Dagwood's design where his hair is parted in the middle but messy was a good look for him.

So did she get it from Betty Boop or vice versa?

Neither. They both ripped it off from Helen Kane, who likewise ripped it off from Baby Ester.

Bump for golden oldies

Is there a blondie tpb?

Not gonna lie, but I did always wanna fuck Blondie.
Probably why I have a flapper kink nowadays, too.

To be fair, while many daily strips have rich histories, most have degraded into the blandest, safest crap possible.

Also where do I even go to read original Flash Gordon dammit?

It was. Once upon a time.

>To be fair, while many daily strips have rich histories, most have degraded into the blandest, safest crap possible.
This. It's primarily a result of the boomers who still read newspapers getting their daily sensible chuckles from the funny pages and then moving on with the rest of their day. Plus, there's a lot to be said about the merchandising/franchising aspect of the whole business.

Don't know about TPB but several books.
amazon.com/Blondie-Complete-Bumstead-Family-History/dp/140160322X

While Dagwood was near death's door, Blondie was going out with other men and treating it all like a party. She doesn't come off looking well in the early strips.

The comic has survived all these years by shifting to the "Mama knows best while Papa is a shnook" meme so familiar to radio and TV sitcoms.

A picture should evade Yas Forums's spam filter.
Read the URL at the top.
This site archives _hundreds_ of old strips.

Attached: Untitled-1.jpg (589x748, 96.86K)

"Great" in the sense she's funny. That "merger" bit was good.

Well holy shit hello.

Complete? Restored? In a usable order

Last time I looked I only found .rars missing pages, out of order, and of unfortunate quality.

That site really needs to update now that 1923 and 1924 stuff is now PD.

I pasted the URL, getting this:
>This shared file or folder link has been removed or is unavailable to you.

>Think it's a mistake? No worries: Just email the owner or get in touch with Box support. We're here to help.

I looked through the site; it's not really complete.

It's still the biggest dump I've seen. Thsnks.

Let's be fair here, even if you ignore this board a lot of comics places don't really have a sense of history of the comic strips to begin with. Hell, modern comic book fans don't have a functioning knowledge of comic strip history, which would've helped a LOT in understanding things, like where a lot of comic book creators got their ideas, or why people were okay with using ghost artists or whatever.

Sorry, typo in the URL.
The scans have a really nice quality.

I wonder if they ever showed Dagwood's parents again after that.

Boopadoop comes from a popular jazz song at the time
youtu.be/hclK-UKJNgk

Attached: 540CD4DA-6228-4421-8059-F238CFC1535F.jpg (419x313, 21.65K)

newspaper comics in general used to be a big deal culturally, it's interesting how irrelevant they've become

They did. After the wedding, Blondie and Dagwood tried to live with them after their honeymoon but got kicked out. They visited when Blondie and Dagwood managed to move into a house and kept pushing for them to divorce. Then they visited for the holidays, and I don't know if they showed up after.

I think the monthly comic book had a flashback with them as well.

Attached: Wood_ComicStripXmasParty.jpg (1600x1073, 821.77K)

The scat style singing predates the song. I'm pretty sure the song is just referencing it.

>Albert giving Mark Trail the stink-eye as Mark talks about how much he hates animals
It's the little things...

Unless I'm mistaken, scat singing is just singing gibberish and that specific bit of gibberish comes from that song

No you're right. I was wrong to call it a style. It's more of an exact phrase, like Hi Di Ho. I could've sworn Kane used it before that song came about and her lawsuit with Fleischer argues she wasn't the first to use it either.

>The silent characters "singing" a thought bubble chorus
>the Jules Pfeiffer character stops being neurotic
>Lone Ranger is lonely
>John Birch Society
Good stuff.

The strips are ordered by when they were uploaded. So you can easily check if there's anything new since you last visited.
And you can download an entire year or an entire run of a comic with a click or two.

The people who run it are really dedicated and deserve support. They bought a huge run of old newspapers and are gradually scanning them. Here's a shot of SOME of their backlog.

They're also appreciative if you upload items they don't have (or you have a better copy.)

Attached: Annotation 2020-03-03 171958.jpg (1069x755, 249.52K)

>That "Penny" tomboy that Archie is talking to
cute. no idea what she's from
>Dennis' dad doing some #metoo shit to that hottie
lewd

I have a theory that's Charles Shultz's fault. At least partially.
He showed strips could be reduced in size. "Peanuts" was only about 3/4ths the height of other comics. Combined with the increasing cost of paper, it was tempting to jam more strips into less space. Naturally, artwork suffered and "bigfoot" styles pushed out "realistic" adventure strips.
The only strip left with even a fraction of its former glory is "Prince Valiant". The internet, where distribution and reproduction are nearly free, is probably the only reason newspaper comics survive at all.

Look at . Since Wood drew it, it's probably early '50s. How many of those strips are still running? How many characters do you even recognize?

"Penny" was the title of the strip
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_(comic_strip)

Attached: Penny1950-09-17.jpg (745x600, 341.75K)

Dennis' dad is chasing Moonbeam McSwine from Li'l Abner.
He's definitely drunk. She has a fantastic figure but she gets her name because she hangs out in the pigsty and stinks.

Attached: 881358-moonbeam2.jpg (480x480, 22.36K)

Al Capp used a lot of assistants. For a time, one was Frank Frazetta. I suspect he was responsible for some of the more buxom gals.

*long, low whistle*
Unsung heroes, every last one of 'em.

Attached: shokat.png (453x429, 185.08K)

I thought that too but honestly, even if Schultz never did Peanuts, they would've still done that. Cost-Cutting is always the thing large companies have to resort to.

As for the image in There's still a large number I recognize. Tracy, Rex Morgan MD, Dennis the Menace, Blondie, Hi and Lois, Pogo, etc.

The only ones I know are still running in some form or other are Blondie, Dennis the Menace, Dick Tracy, Rex Morgan MD, Mandrake, The Phantom, Prince Valiant, Tarzan (at least I think it's still going), Nancy, B.C.,

I think Hi and Lois is still running? Peanuts, Katzenjammer Kids, and Popeye are in reruns, but still show in papers.

Hi and Lois is still running. So is Snuffy Smith, Mark Trail, Alley Oop, and Mary Worth.
Tarzan is in re-runs.

Not at the xmas party but still going, Gasoline Alley (though most of the original characters are gone and it gets harder and harder to 'explain' the presence of Walt Wallet who adopted an infant who later fought in WW2.)

Schulz was the "face" of that particular artistic shift, due to the popularity of Peanuts, but he wasn't its originator. Several other minimalist-leaning strips came out around the same time or a bit before.

This was one of the practices that Bill Watterson criticized--legacy strips that ran long after the original creator had died.

Copyright terms were 28 years back then so assuming they were renewed for another 28, they became PD in 1979.

Peanuts reruns are all 1965 and later and they omit strips with topical material that would be dated.

Aunt Ritz used to be the star before Nancy showed up

Attached: 809131.jpg (600x932, 109.2K)

Little Orphan Annie was originally a thinly-veiled political strip, its creator Harold Gray was a staunch Republican and the strips had a lot of anti-New Deal commentary in them.

"Originally" and "thinly-veiled" are incorrect.
It was ALWAYS extreme right-wing so long as Gray was running it.

The strip was originally about a boy, Otto.
Contrary to what's said in mentalfloss.com/article/541363/facts-about-little-orphan-annie-comic-strip
it's been my understanding the Joseph Patterson, head of the syndicate, liked the idea but changed the kid's sex.

Not just a matter of being PD. They have to obtain and scan the material.
You saw their backlog? It's a labor of love but it can get expensive. When they were trying to buy that huge mass of material they asked for donations. What'd be a kickstarter today. I'm sure they still wouldn't turn down contributions.

paper and printing got a lot more expensive postwar so strips got more simplified and stopped having elaborate artwork and long story arcs

Damn, I never realized what history comic strips have. Shame I never really experienced it.

Lots of these strips had hot bombshell babes despite how the male lead may have looked.

And then Popeye had Olive Oyl.

It didn't help she was meant to be the main character's sister, not the love interest. She had a more cutesy look to her in Thimble Theater, though.

Attached: ThimbleTheatre-200112.jpg (866x1600, 348.47K)

I think she looks better there than she did in Popeye-proper for the cartoons.

Attached: original-guy-gilchrist-1950s-pin-up-style_1_f0d041f8cf333cb83ded052826fae445 (2)_waifu2x_art_noise3_scale_tta_1.png (1000x680, 177.78K)

Attached: Gilchrist-Fritzibikini_waifu2x_art_noise3_scale_tta_1.png (596x1260, 416.57K)

Will Nancy be a semen demon like her aunt?

>EEEK!
>A MOUSE!
Ultra kek.
Where's this from? MAD?

Attached: eeek a mouse.png (248x332, 195.13K)

No one is a semen demon like Fritzi

Attached: 1549302504826.jpg (1078x393, 65.2K)

I totally missed seeing stuff in the funny papers back in 2017.
The new comics are alright, but Fritzi dresses like a soccermom.

These past couple of days had threads with insightful discussions on Dick Tracy, Popeye, and a comic called Judas. Through all the muck found on here at any given time of day, it's nice to see something clean. Now we just need to start up a /shelf/ thread.

Attached: original-fritzi-picture-by-guy-gilchris_waifu2x_art_noise3_scale_tta_1.png (566x960, 240.94K)

I read this in a transatlantic accent

Attached: 1583303800872.jpg (1078x393, 110.47K)

Attached: Fritzi WW.png (983x588, 466.19K)

Attached: cebe8a20a76b012e2f8300163e41dd5b.png (1200x378, 476.29K)

Attached: 1549302832532.png (900x287, 301.69K)

Attached: 1549302313393.png (640x199, 130.67K)

She could cosplay Revy

Attached: 77af90509f55012e2f8200163e41dd5b.png (600x187, 104.87K)

Loli Fritzi

Attached: 1549302137314.png (900x285, 282.39K)

>E.C. [Cigar]
lel

Attached: Nancy 2014-03-31.gif (900x291, 131.99K)

Attached: Nancy Marvel.jpg (500x318, 81.53K)

>Tarzan is in re-runs.

Sort of, it's true that the ones on Comics Kingdom are reruns, but there's also a webcomic (that requires a paid subscription) on edgarriceburroughs.com/comics/

Wally Wood was a brilliant artist who overworked, smoked, and drank himself to death. More precisely, his lifestyle wrecked his body and, when he could no longer draw, he committed suicide.

Here's another magnum opus by him, turning all those comic strip characters 3-dimensional.
I'll post a key at the end.

Attached: Mad Comic Opera 056-01.jpg (1226x1600, 673.26K)

Attached: Mad Comic Opera 056-02.jpg (1226x1600, 782.92K)

Attached: Mad Comic Opera 056-03.jpg (1226x1600, 792.6K)

Attached: Mad Comic Opera 056-04.jpg (1226x1600, 776.26K)

Attached: Mad Comic Opera 056-05.jpg (1226x1600, 795.32K)

Attached: Mad Comic Opera 056-06.jpg (1226x1600, 822.91K)

This is a screenshot of a Word document I found. Hence, the wiggly green underlines where the program didn't recognize names.

I take no credit (or blame) for the effort.

Attached: Mad Comic Opera 056-Key.jpg (592x809, 215.14K)

Thanks for this, and the Opera itself. Really great find there.

>Tarzan-shaped hole in the wall
Nice.

One last (that I know of) Wally Wood comic strip mash-up extravaganza...

Attached: Mad Old comic strip characters home 030-01.jpg (1235x1612, 247.57K)

Those characters arriving at the end, from "Beyond Mars"...
SF author Jack Williamson had written a series about terraforming worlds. A critical review dismissed it as "comic book level stuff:. The New York Daily News hired Williamson to write a comic strip loosely based on the series. It was NOT syndicated and ran only in the News. The idea was to have something exclusive to that paper, something their rivals (which included television) couldn't have.

Attached: Mad Old comic strip characters home 030-02.jpg (1235x1612, 266.58K)

Combined pages in an effort to make them easier to read.

Attached: Mad Old comic strip characters home 030-combined.jpg (2356x1589, 3.24M)

You're a good egg, user.

Thank you.

Wood auditioned to become Hal Foster's replacement when he retired. I'm not sure why he didn't get the job. He could certainly imitate Foster's style. See his "Prince Violent" parody in Mad.

Maybe they thought he couldn't be relied upon to keep the schedule. He was already pretty erratic by then.

Attached: Prince Valiant.jpg (1961x2928, 1.04M)

Bumping a based thread

ohmjhp

>Even certain friends of Mary Worth do it!
Haw

There is a newspaper comics archive out there, will take me a bit of time to find.

Yep.

A lot or Hollywood women back then WERE legitimate bombshells.
And most of these old comic strip ladies were modled on or inspired by some starlet or another

Yeah, Foster was doing the tryouts around like 1970 or something. According to wiki this was the artists credits during the tryout period:

#1756 Foster
#1757 Gray Morrow
#1758 Foster
#1759 Foster
#1760 John Cullen Murphy
#1761 Foster
#1762 Wally Wood
#1763 Foster
#1764 Murphy
#1765 Gray Morrow
#1766 Murphy
#1767 Gray Morrow
#1768 Foster
#1769 Murphy
#1770 Gray Morrow
#1771–2 Murphy
#1773 Foster
#1774–5 Murphy
#1776 Foster
#1777–87 Murphy
#1788 Foster
#1789 Murphy

It is kinda strange that Wood only did one fill-in. But it wouldn't be surprising if what you said factored into it.

Is there a way to read all the old Blondie comics though?

Online I mean. I don’t really wanna shell out a bunch of money for some book I’m probably gonna look through once

Was this where Gasoline Alley got the idea from? I forget when the Old Comics Home showed up in the comic strip.

Posting the Guy Gilchrest era is cheating. Guy's horny levels for Fritzi were off the charts, she way more sexualized than the original author had her.

Try checking out Navigation to any strip is easy, but they're sorted by upload date so you can find the most recent. Go to the first letter and work your way down.

I cleaned up Wood's "Prince Valiant" posted earlier.

Attached: Prince Valiant.jpg (1961x2928, 3.35M)

to be fair cheesecake is the only good to come out of Gilchrest

how old is Annie?